Fort Wayne Maps

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Fort Wayne Maps

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:44 am

Does anyone on list have a map of Fort Wayne that would show the city withh all the tracks in place ? the street trollies and ISC all the freight lines, industrial sidings. My other question about the Ft Wayne area is where were the stock yards located ? It amaxes me how much rail history Ft Wayne had/has and how much of it is simply GONE. what did International Truck have into its facilities in the 30's and 40's ? Casad Depot has a happening place in its time, a person would be hard pressed to know this now. I was over in the Toledo are a few weeks ago and some Industrial Park which reminded me alot of Casad, same Government looking buildings with all sorts of trackage. gone ! however it shows up on Tom Tom GPS

Mike

wayne b
Veteran

Re: Fort Wayne Maps

Post by wayne b » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 pm

I am sure there are better ones but Allen County-Ft. Wayne historical Society has a 1922 map of streetcar/interurban tracks on their website. The library has/had a good book on streetcars including maps, titled something like "Ft. Wayne Streetcars an Trolleys" on the history of public transport in Ft. Wayne up to the Trolley buses. Most of the rail is still in the streets where it was abandoned when GM, Firestone and others were buying up streetcar lines all over the country to create a market for the buses they wanted to sell. They would not pay to remove the tracks so they were just paved over. Most track that was taken up was not in paved streets.

The Pennsy bought the land where the stockyard was and built their yard on it.

Can not say much about Harvester but google earth seem to show many tracks laid and removed inside the southeast corner of the Union belt. Might also note the the Ft. and Lima goes east to New haven at that corner.

Casad is interesting and for the most part looks to be original. A remnant of the Wabash connector is still there on the west edge of the property. Some track was removed from the east end were it goes through the Engine show park. I've wondered what that track was for that comes off the present Casad yard over to that park and them goes west pass the 765's barn with part of the present siding laid on the same bed on the south side of the barn but continues on west to the northern most Casad buildings. Clearly there was something near the county road on the east end of the property but I have no idea what. Except for these two removals I note Casad seems to be intact but as I understand its days are numbered as the stockpile is moved out.

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:22 pm

[quote="wayne b"

Can not say much about Harvester but google earth seem to show many tracks laid and removed inside the southeast corner of the Union belt. Might also note the the Ft. and Lima goes east to New haven at that corner.
[/quote]

The Fort Wayne & Lima went east along New Haven Ave/Lincoln Highway, not from the SE corner of the Union Belt. That was the Findlay, Fort Wayne, & Western actually the Union Belt appears to have been built on a segment of the Findlay's ROW from the Pontiac St Underpass to where the Belt curved to the north near Meyer Road a few years after the Findlay was pulled up.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:28 am

Go to the main branch of the ACPL, in the geneology section they have Sanborn maps for 1888, 1895, 1901, 1918, 1937, and 1942-44, on microfilm.

The stockyards you mention are shown in detail. So is just about every roundhouse and yard (on a "track by track" basis) ever built in Fort wayne proper. these maps are a treasure trove...especially if you can spend several hours to view them sequentially, you get a great deal of perspective on how fort wayne has evolved.

( for instance I never realized that Harvester once occupied the old Horton Washing machine factory building between Osage and Runnion, or that Lincoln Life once owned all the Wayne pump/ Wolf and Dessauer/ GTE buildings off Coombs Street, or that the now defunct grain elevator that sat next to the GR&I yard on Leesburgh road was originally a MacMillan operation.) Dwenger avenue, in the "pre-sewage treatment plant" days was pretty interesting, as well. and the EXACT routing of the old Findlay FW, & western is shown in abundant detail, providing an end to all speculation about what once went "where"

you can view these on either the manual hand crank viewers, or on the motorized computer scanners that will allow you to either print your selections OR save to thumb drive.

as an aside, you once asked about track layout for the old wabash yards, (on Fairfield) and these are shown in great detail, including a footnote I found interesting on how they were piping water from the St Mary's river to their water tower at Fairfield... Interesting to me because once there was a small concrete foundation near their St Mary's river bridge, which back in my childhood in the 1960's when I asked an old man what it was for, he said he knew it was from an old pumphouse, but wasn't sure who the past owner/user was. It's fun putting an end to old mysteries that way :D

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Regarding the "stockyards" question, I think there may have been several, depending upon which line, and during which time period, the question pertains to.

There is an excellent Atlas of the state of Indiana in the reader's services section of the ACPL that shows the stockyards located smack dab where the wye at mike is now located, basically everything between the wabby and the pennsey, stretching from Gay street to Holton Ave.

the stockyards I recall seeing in the oldest Sanborns I believe were shown further west, nearer Lafayette street, but I don't have one in front of me to verify

then there are the stockyards that gave rise to the "Stockyards" section popularized by Hall's restaurant by the same name....evidently there was at one time one there, too.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:19 am

Could these maps be made a permanent part of this website, or would that violate any terms of use? I would LOVE to see, them but don't really have the time to go hunt them up. I also came across the old Conrail ZTS maps for this region online, and I find them facinating. Perhaps we could have a map section added to the website?
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm

the file sizes are HUGE!! so it would probably be better to place them somewhere like photobucket, and just link to the gallery from here.

Lots of time would be involved, as well.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:33 am

Notch 8 wrote:. My other question about the Ft Wayne area is where were the stock yards located ?

. what did International Truck have into its facilities in the 30's and 40's ?

Mike
The Fort Wayne Union Stockyards are shown here: http://s593.photobucket.com/albums/tt20 ... Scan23.png
(odd having a meat packing operation located downwind from the municipal sewage treatment plant, bet that meat was uniquely cured)