RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:13 pm

THERE SEEMS TO BE SOME CONFLICTING INFORMATION ABOUT WHERE RUNNION INTERLOCKING WAS LOCATED AND WHAT IT CONTROLED.
RUNNION CABIN (OFFICE) WAS LOCATED AT THE RUNNION AVENUE STREET CROSSING. IT CONTROLED THE NKP AND GR&I DIAMONDS WHICH WERE SEVERAL BLOCKS TO THE WEST. IT HAD A SMALL CTC LIKE CONTROL CABINET ON THE FLOOR NEXT TO THE EAST WALL. (STREET SIDE) THERE WERE SEVERAL SEVERAL SMALL M OF W SHEDS TO THE WEST. MOTOR CARS, ETC. THERE WERE "IRON MAN" MESSAGE HOOPS FOR EASTBOUND TRAINS. THE EAST WAYNE YARDMASTER WOULD GIVE YOU A TRACK MESSAGE WHEN THE TRAIN WAS OUT OF SOUTH WHITLEY. HE WOULD ALSO CALL YOU WHEN A WESTBOUND LEFT THE YARD. ALL COMMUNICATIONS WITH SOUTH WHITLEY WERE BY TELEGRAPH. NOT SURE WHERE THE DISPATCHER'S CTC CONTROL BEGAN AND ENDED. ALL TOWERS WEST OF RUNNION HAD TO HAVE THE DISPATCHER'S DIRECTION CODE BEFORE THEY COULD DISPLAY A SIGNAL.
ON THE GR&I: JUNCTION WOULD INFORM RUNNION OF ANY MOVE NORTH OR SOUTH. RUNNION WOULD CALL JCT BEFORE RUNNING ANYTHING SOUTH AND JCT THE SAME ON NORTHBOUNDS SO AS TO NOT BLOCK JEFFERSON BLVD. GR&I WAS MANUAL BLOCK AND JCT HANDLED THAT CHORE. IN THE SHORT TIME I WORKED THERE IN 1953 THE GR&I WAS NOT A VERY BUSY RAILROAD. THE PRR YARD JOB WAS ABOUT THE ONLY TRAFFIC I SAW ON SECOND SHIFT. THIRD WAS VERY DEAD.
IF ANYBODY HAS ANY QUESTIONS, PLEASE ASK, AND I WILL TRY TO ANSWER THEM. IT HAS BEEN A FEW YEARS.

KEITH

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:53 am

I've always been curious why Runnion was only a cabin and not a tower. I'm not sure anyone alive knows the answer, but I'll ask anyways.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:03 am

BOB, DON'T KNOW EITHER. MAYBE BECAUSE THE SPACE AND VISIBILITY WASN'T NEEDED. THE CABIN WAS ABOUT 10 FEET WIDE AND 20 FEET LONG. 10 BY 10 WOULD HAVE HELD EVERYTHING THERE. I'M SURE THERE WERE MORE DUTIES TO PERFORM BEFORE THE CTC WAS INSTALLED. THERE WAS JUST 2 COMPANY PHONE LINES, DISPATCHER AND MESSAGE. TELEGRAPH LINE ALSO. DON'T REMEMBER EVEN HAVING A CITY PHONE. HAD A CABOOSE STOVE FOR HEAT. NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME AT THE TIME, I WAS ONLY THERE IN WARM WEATHER.

KEITH

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:10 am

BOB, YES, ALL OF THE OPERATORS THAT WERE THERE WHEN I WAS ARE ALL GONE. ALSO ALL OF THE JUNCTION OPERATORS. WE ARE GETTING PRETTY THIN.

KH

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: RUNNION INTERLOCKING today

Post by Notch 8 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Runnion, I don't know anything about Runnion but do know only can imagine it was a happening place in the day, would anyone care to guess how many movements past this area ? I had to go to Ward Aluminum which I think in its day was the Wayne Knitting Mills, Very impressive Old Facility, anyhow I did notice my GPS was showing tracks all around this area, I would venture to guess the Knitting Mill recieve and shipped via rail and its looks like they had a large boiler onsite so I would guess they would have gotten coal via rail as well.
The train had Runnion Street closed as well so I went west of that crossing to get around the train, still had to make it to Albion and Sturgis MI and did not want to wait it out, I did take pictures and I hope some questions come up and might get answers, My question is in the picture toward down town Ft Wayne there is 2 tracks 1 on each side that goes from the main. my question the 1 toward the north, is that the that use to go to the Water Treatment Plant ? and the 1 that goes South does that or would had that ended up int the track that crossed main st. next to Paula's Sea Food ?
Also seeing the train that is ready to head up the GR&I I can see the need for some new timber being stuffed under these rails, looks like salt and cement, is there other customer's in the Industrial Park north of Coliseum ? other than the cement business, Is that Lonestar Cement ?

I plan to load some KTR pictures(Kendallville Terminal Railway) which so happens to be former GR&I rails as well, On a side note there was nothing happening in Sturgis MI today but the largest customers on that line are on the GR&I as well, Abbott Labatories and Federal Paper. both served off the GR&I and there is another facility that is on the GR&I and just barely in Indiana the former Franks Nursery and Crafts building. something is in the making at this empty building, and hope they use rail,

Mike
Attachments
Runnion 11-90001.jpg
Looking east toward downton Ft Wayne
Runnion 11-90002.jpg
Headed north up the GR&I
Runnion 11-90003.jpg
Starting up the GR&I Industrial lead track
Runnion 11-90004.jpg
Runnion 11-90005.jpg
More Storage
Runnion 11-90007.jpg
Runnion Cabin

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:15 pm

DON'T BELIEVE THIS IS THE SAME BUILDING I WORKED IN. IT WAS AN ALL WOODEN STRUCTURE WITH A LOW ROOF DESIGN. THE EAVES OF THE ROOF WERE ONLY ABOUT 8 OR 9 FEET ABOVE GROUND LEVEL. IT WAS VERY CLOSE TO THE STREET, JUST ROOM TO PARK ONE VEHICLE BETWEEN IT AND THE STREET.

KEITH

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 am

On the New Castle District side of Runnion was two connecting tracks. Trains could head to E Wayne at HUGO or RUNNION from Muncie and Cincy.

During the relocation project, I removed track from JUNCTION to just across Main St. The connecting tracks were left in place as a short (1 locomotive) wye track. NS had me remove the bridge over Junk Ditch too, as they didn't want any liability if someone took a header into the water from it. I thought it would have been a nice trail bridge. There was also a connecting track from the former Pennsy Main just West of the St Marys River bridge that crossed Jefferson Blvd and connected with the New Castle District. I assume it was the old GR&I connection, but I only saw Triple Crown Chicago trains using it before I took it out as part of that same project. If you looked in the weeds behind the new (then) guardrail, the track was still intact for many years after it was severed.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:55 pm

I'll chime in here.
The New Castle district crossed the PRR at Junction and crossed the GR&I at Park, then there was a wye that allowed trains to go to either East Wayne or Chicago, the wye was locked and lined for the Chicago district Chicago side. I believe the east leg of the wye was called 11 track? I can't remember now, I only went around the east leg 3 times.
One of the guys told me why it had a name and I don't recall now.

The GR&I was removed from Park north to across the Chicago district, the connection from the Chicago district was used north to allow access.

I never knew the history, but was told it was done after Conrail gave up the north end. I don't know years/dates so I can't say for sure. But I do know the GR&I was ripped up sometime before the mid 1990's from the crossing at Park north to Runnion.
It was called "Conrail Park" and I believe that changed when NS took out the diamond and put in the switch.
Yes, about the only thing that needed to use that track at Park was Triple Crown trains, everything else going west to Chicago either came east on the Chicago District from the yard or from the south on the New Castle District.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:09 pm

ONE HISTORIC THING I HAVEN'T SEEN NOTED IN THESE POSTS IS THE DIAMONDS WHERE THE NCD (IN THE OLD DAYS) CROSSED THE PRR AND THE GR&I. THE ONLY NCD TRAFFIC I EVER SAW WAS A YARD MOVE TO SWITCH THE STEEL PLANT MAYBE TWICE A WEEK. THERE WAS A CRASH TYPE SWING BOARD ON THE NCD AT THE GR&I DIAMOND WITH AN ELECTRIC LOCK. WHEN JUNCTION LINED THE SIGNAL FOR THE NCD IT UNLOCKED THE BOARD. IT THEN HAD TO BE HAND THROWN TO MAKE THE MOVE. KIND OF OUTDATED AT THE TIME I THOUGHT.

KEEP PRODING ME, GUYS, IT JOGS MY MEMORY.

KEITH

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:18 pm

The top right corner of this page shows both the former and current layout of the tracks North of Junction.
http://www.fwarailfan.net/fortwayne_junction.htm

I don't know for sure, but I always thought the "11-track" (from the New Castle to EB Chicago District) was named that as a holdover from West Wayne Yard.
rrnut282
(Mike)

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:51 pm

MIKE, DO YOU REALLY THINK A RAILROAD OFFICIAL HAD THE KNOWLEDGE TO NAME ANYTHING FOR A REASON ???? :roll:

KEITH

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:39 am

There's still a stub track on the south side of the mains at West Wayne that is called 11 track. It is the last remnant of West Wayne Yard.

That building is not the interlocking building that was at Runnion, Keith's memory is correct.

Those boards and that type of operation to get over the diamonds was still in place in 1972, Keith, I can personally testify to that. The, by then, N&W crew, also had to protect W. Jefferson by flagging it, which could be exciting in the middle of a summer afternoon. I could not say with any amount of certainty when it changed. Certainly, it changed by 1982, when the north end of the NCD was opened to through freight operations.

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:25 pm

MY TIME THERE AT JCT. (MARCH 1973 INTO 1975) WAS MADE INTERESTING BY THE FLAG MOVE OVER W. JEFFERSON. I HAD FORGOTTEN ABOUT THAT. HORNS BLOWING, FISTS OUT OF WINDOWS, AND MANY BAD WORDS, AS IF IT WOULD HELP. GOOD FOR A LAUGH ANYWAY. CAUSE FOR A BIG DELAY: ENGINE AND ONE OR TWO CARS,WOW !!
THANKS, WAYNE.
KEITH

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:05 pm

"HORNS BLOWING, FISTS OUT OF WINDOWS, AND MANY BAD WORDS, AS IF IT WOULD HELP. GOOD FOR A LAUGH "

Keith

I have seen this same thing in the early 1970's
from my position on the North side outside of
G.E. Taylor St. Only it was coming from a crew
on the Newcastle trying to get the operator at
Junction to let them go South across the former
P.R.R.

Thanks

Mark D.

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:27 pm

HEY, WHEN YOU HAD A NEWSPAPER TO READ YOU DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO GO LINE THE SIGNAL !!! :lol: ONE TIME ON A NORTHBOUND MOVE, I SAW THE ENGINE SITTING NEAR THE SIGNAL. NO HORN, JUST SITTING THERE. WITH NOTHING CLOSE, I LINED THE SIGNAL. ABOUT 15 MINUTES LATER I GOT A CALL ON THE CITY PHONE FROM THE CREW. THEY WERE IN THE STEEL PLANT EATING LUNCH. MOST WERE GOOD ABOUT BLOWING THE HORN WHEN THEY WERE READY TO CROSS.

KEITH