RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

hibbard
Veteran

Re: RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Post by hibbard » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:25 pm

I am attaching three pages from the "Nickel Plate Road, Nickel Plate District, Physical Data and Other Information of Interest" booklet dated September 1954. The booklet is an official NKP publication and it may help answer some questions. Page 21 mentions the five stall roundhouse at East Wayne. they it is referring to the former dispatcher's office building between the fuel pad and turntable.
Attachments
page-21.png
page-22.png
page-23.png

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:00 pm

Craig is you who is correct. I just checked my Nickel Plate Publicity Photo's Volume II, which has pictures of the new East Wayne facilities and it list July 1951 as the date of opening. I'm not sure why I was thinking a later date. I know the NKP didn't exactly get a ton of use out of their steam era facilities at East Wayne. It is kind of surprising to me that they didn't opt for something like a wooden coaling tower, knowing that even on the Nickel Plate, steam was on borrowed time.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

hibbard
Veteran

Post by hibbard » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:12 pm

A person has to remember that when the East Wayne expansion was planned the NKP owned no road freight diesels. Also, after WW2 labor costs began escalating, so it may have been just as cheap to build a concrete coal dock instead of wood. The two diesel stalls in the "roundhouse" were mainly for switchers and the PA1s if they needed minor repairs. The NKP had planned on using the 700s until 1962. 1958 brought a general recession to the country and a steel strike didn't help either. With the downturn in traffic, the NKP couldn't justify keeping dual facilities for steam and diesel. The NKP had only six freight diesels that could be used on the Chicago Division, numbers 480-485 were passenger equipped and had Automatic Train Stop. ATS was a requirement for the Chicago Division, so the NKP leased about 25 C&O GP7s to fill in until 15 GP9s and 15 RS11s could be delivered in January and February 1959. The 700s were dead.

A side note: There must still be a mechanical force at the "roundhouse". About a week ago I heard the East Wayne Roundhouse call the local working out of Argos about an engine problem on the radio.