RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

wayne b
Veteran

Re: RUNNION INTERLOCKING

Post by wayne b » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Birdseye view of Fort Wayne 1907:

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item. ... 20Griswold
1907  PRR GR&I LE&W LS&MS at Junction.png
1907 GR&I LE&W LS&MS at RUNION.png
Runnion view shows some of detail of West wayne and 11 track on the south side of the main.

Note Keith, the diamond east of Runnion. That is what i was refering to when I mentioned both diamonds. Knew it was gone when I got here in the mid '80s. Just do not know when it was taken out. Obviously before you were there in '53. I think birdseye view will show early area around the Knitting Mill.

From your discriptions it would seem Junction, Park and Runnion were all controlled by Junction tower mainly because of the Jefferson Street crossing..

wayne b

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:10 pm

WHEN I WAS THERE THE ONLY CONTROL WE HAD WAS THE GR&/NKP DIAMONDS. CALLS WERE MADE BETWEEN JCT AND RUNNION BEFORE ANY MOVES WERE MADE. I NEVER HAD ANY MOVES AT WEST WAYNE YARD. I WAS ONLY THERE A SHORT TIME.

KEITH

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:13 pm

Keep these memories about Junction coming guys, I'm enjoying everyone of them so far :) Now, a new question for you guys, when did the tower at Junction close and what year was it torn down? I'm guessing after 1985 for both but I'm not really sure. :?:
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

hibbard
Veteran

Post by hibbard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:23 pm

From the “Nickel Plate District Physical Data and Other Information of Interest” dated September 1954.

West Wayne, Ind. (MP 372.5)
NYC (Ft. Wayne – Jackson Branch) crossing near west end of city. NKP maintains crossing. New interlocking plant constructed by NKP and placed in service in 1952. NKP owns and maintains entire plant at its expense. This and the new interlocking plant at the NKP-PRR (GR&I) crossing are operated from a cabin at Runion Avenue and 57.14% of the wages and expenses of operator-levermen is allocated to the NKP-NYC interlocker and NYC is billed for its car and engine handled proportion of one third of such expense

PRR GR&I) crossing – Grand Rapids to Cincinnati – west of NYC crossing. PRR is senior road. NKP owns and maintains crossing at its expense. New interlocking plant constructed and placed in service in 1951. NKP bore 83.73% of the cost of construction and bears 85.39% of the cost of maintenance, both proportions being on A.A.R. unit basis with one half of PRR units allocated to NKP. This and the new interlocking plant at NKP-NYC crossing are operated from a cabin at Runion Avenue and 42.86 of the wages and expenses of operator-levermen is allocated to the NKP-PRR interlocker and borne by NKP.

Hibbard

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:06 am

IN MY SHORT TIME AT RUNNION I DID NOT SEE ANY ACTION OVER THE NKP/NYC DIAMOND. IN FACT, I NEVER WALKED DOWN TO LOOK AT IT. I DID SNEAK A SMALL COLOR TV IN TO WATCH THE ARMY/MC CARTHY HEARINGS. DON'T KNOW IF ANY ON THIS BOARD ARE OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER THIS.

KEITH

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 am

I ALSO DO NOT REMEMBER ANY CONTROLS ON THE CTC MACHINE TO CONTROL THE NYC/NKP DIAMOND. I THINK IT WAS CONTROLED BY VERBAL PERMISSION.

KEITH

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:58 pm

A small color TV in the early 50's? Really? I didn't think there was any such thing in the 1950's. I remember seeing a RCA TV in a department store named Marting's in Portsmouth, Ohio, about then, first one I ever remember seeing, with the round picture tube. Just wondering, Keith, no wish to offend. Sure you weren't watching the Watergate hearings at Junction in color?

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:15 pm

WAYNE, YES, I SAW MY GOOF THE NEXT TIME I READ THE POSTS. IT WAS A "BIG" SCREEN BLACK AND WHITE. (12 INCH) NEVER HAD ONE AT JUNCTION, BUT DID AT MIKE.

KEITH

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 am

AFTER SEEING A PICTURE OF THE BOARD AT RUNNION (LONG BEFORE MY TIME THERE) THERE MAY HAVE BEEN ELECTRIC LOCKS ON THE SWITCHES AROUND WEST WAYNE YARD. IF SO, PERMISSION WAS VERBAL AND THEN UNLOCKED FOR USE. 57 YEARS DULLS THE MEMORY SOME. NEVER THOUGHT OF TAKING PICTURES BACK THEN.

KEITH

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:10 am

ALSO, I DON'T REMEMBER HAVING CONTROL OF ANY SWITCHES, THEY WERE ALL ELECTRIC LOCK, HAND THROW. DON'T THINK THERE WERE ANY DERAILS ON EITHER NKP OR PRR.

KEITH

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:51 am

What year was West Wayne closed ?

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:21 pm

I believe East Wayne opened in 1956. All shop functions would have moved to New haven, but I'm thinking a few tracks may have been left in place at West Wayne for local cars.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:21 pm
I believe East Wayne opened in 1956. All shop functions would have moved to New haven, but I'm thinking a few tracks may have been left in place at West Wayne for local cars.
Somewhere i've read on here that 1 track remains from the days of West Wayne, Track 11 and its on the south side of the tracks. Thanks for the reply

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:49 pm

:P 64, maybe, w/the NW merger???

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 pm

Bob & Doug:

I have 1951 as the official move of the shops from West to East Wayne, and don't have anything about 1956 or 1964. Mine is obviously an error. Can you send your document citations for my Allen Co. RR history files? It's important that I get this right. Thanks.