Radio signal c102

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

rrnut282
Veteran

Radio signal c102

Post by rrnut282 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:56 pm

When L68 ?l69 started working in the Ethanol Plant, I heard them say C102 a lot. It usally goes like, "C102 coming at ya." What is C102? I assume it's some standard procedure like 3-point protection, but I don't have access to a current rulebook to look it up.
Last edited by rrnut282 on Thu May 12, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Re: Radio signals

Post by CIOR » Sun May 01, 2011 9:36 pm

hold test on the brakes. You will hear it none stop while switching.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 am

So it's not a pull on the knuckles to test a coupling. How is it accomplished?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Mi. Hogger

Post by Mi. Hogger » Wed May 11, 2011 9:26 am

Its not that difficult of a procedure, its just a pain in the butt unless your shootin for overtime. Long story short, conductor ties handbrakes on cars to be left standing, cancels his 3 step protection, calls for c-102, engineer releases all brakes, (automatic and independent) bunches slack against train, re-applies independent. After brakes charged up conductor checks for 1 minute to make sure cars left unattended will not move. If they do the whole procedure has to be un done, more handbrakes applied and start over. If the cars do not move after 1 minute it is considered a good c-102 and the conductor must get 3 step once again to reach in and close angle cock.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 am

So it is done at the end of a yard track to make sure the switching crew doesn't shove a cut too far or cars don't roll out the other end accidently.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed May 11, 2011 11:09 am

rrnut282 wrote:So it is done at the end of a yard track to make sure the switching crew doesn't shove a cut too far or cars don't roll out the other end accidently.
Its done any time the crew cuts away from a car or cut of cars.
To make sure the car/s don't move at all in any situation.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu May 12, 2011 11:06 am

Is it a requirement when handling hazardous cars or is it a general car handling thing?
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Re: Radio signal c102

Post by CIOR » Thu May 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Anything.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Thu May 12, 2011 6:52 pm

C102's equal MONEY MONEY MONEY in my pocket. And you wonder why we can only switch half as many cars or less than the old heads did lol. It's now a "ruleroad" and not a railroad :D

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:53 am

OK, now I get it. The liability-police struck again. Just like you are no longer allowed to climb on or off moving equipment. One more thing to slow you down (under the guise of making it safer).
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat May 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Big Ed wrote:C102's equal MONEY MONEY MONEY in my pocket. And you wonder why we can only switch half as many cars or less than the old heads did lol. It's now a "ruleroad" and not a railroad :D
Sadly 15 years ago a "that'll do" and common sense was good enough to go in between equipment. I remember when they came out with the radio version of "in between" and us at Muncie found a way to do it on a hand sign. A new assistant super in Fort Wayne came down to op test a crew and had NOTHING to do with it and that put a stop to that.
Now you have a million rules to accomplish a simple task.. :D
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun May 15, 2011 9:50 am

CIOR wrote:
Big Ed wrote:C102's equal MONEY MONEY MONEY in my pocket. And you wonder why we can only switch half as many cars or less than the old heads did lol. It's now a "ruleroad" and not a railroad :D
Sadly 15 years ago a "that'll do" and common sense was good enough to go in between equipment. I remember when they came out with the radio version of "in between" and us at Muncie found a way to do it on a hand sign. A new assistant super in Fort Wayne came down to op test a crew and had NOTHING to do with it and that put a stop to that.
How were their hiring practices 15-20 years ago? Did they have quotas for ethnic diversity and gender diversity that they had to start filling? Instead of hiring just the best qualified people, they were probably starting to look past well qualified guys just to fill those other voids, even if they weren't hiring the best people for the job. Not saying that there arn't well qualified women and minorities, but when you start turning away well qualified guys because you have a quota to fill, you start seeing more and more accidents from people that may not be as fully vested in the job they are performing because they didn't work as hard to get it.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sun May 15, 2011 3:20 pm

When I hired the local supervisor (a man with 30 years of railroading background) actually interviewed me. The process was just starting with the batch hiring, but it isn't anything like now. I guess it changed over the next few years after I hired because I would hear many of the new guys talk about the first time they even met their supervisors was when they showed up for work.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Sun May 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I wish they would actually give interviews to qualified people who apply for a position. I have applied for 3 or so years now for a dispatch position, although I dont have a railroad backround yet I have taken extensive classes in college (computer aided service management, personnel management and supervision, along with service shop procedures ect. ect.) that would make me a great fit for the job. :x
8v71

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Wed May 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Greg46m wrote:
CIOR wrote:
How were their hiring practices 15-20 years ago? Did they have quotas for ethnic diversity and gender diversity that they had to start filling? Instead of hiring just the best qualified people, they were probably starting to look past well qualified guys just to fill those other voids, even if they weren't hiring the best people for the job. Not saying that there arn't well qualified women and minorities, but when you start turning away well qualified guys because you have a quota to fill, you start seeing more and more accidents from people that may not be as fully vested in the job they are performing because they didn't work as hard to get it.
When I hired on the Pennsy in 1967 we had three blacks hire in at the same time.Within three days they were gone.One was assigned to Piqua yard throwing switches at night,he quit saying he didn't have to work like a dog.The other two were fired after their rap sheets came back.The only reason they were hired was because of federal law quota.

As for radios we had them in the cabin and on the engine. We didn't have trouble with our 6 volt lanterns or OMG our fusees. Now that was my era "Good old Days".

JW