NCD Eastbounds Question

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Mark
Veteran

NCD Eastbounds Question

Post by Mark » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Do any through Eastbounds pick up in Muncie?
I am thinking of new EMD locomotives possibly
being sent to Chattanooga.

Thanks

Mark

joe22a994
Veteran

Re: NCD Eastbounds Question

Post by joe22a994 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:01 pm

I think the only thing through trains pick up and drop off are working locomotives (ones not for delivery). I think to go to Chattanooga this would be the routing: 368 or 313 then to 197 or 177 via FTW. Muncie to Fort Wayne to Chattanooga. NS might have a train going to Chattanooga from Muncie. I don't know of other trains from Muncie to New Castle on New Castle District.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:07 pm

There isn't anything anymore. There use to be the routine of the 443/444 both working Muncie but that has been long gone.
The 2 locals and the 2 trains that run Muncie-Fort Wayne do that type bidding now. Everything move north to Fort Wayne.

If you mean what could possibly pick up at Muncie and go south with the power from Progress.

143 would be your best bet. Any of the Chatt destination trains are good ideas. Its easy enough to recrew with a Muncie crew and run south with them. The L82 could easily pull them and put them in the Delco track for pickup.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:41 am

CIOR wrote:
If you mean what could possibly pick up at Muncie and go south with the power from Progress.

The L82 could easily pull them and put them in the Delco track for pickup.
Thank you , CIOR, for answering.I got bit for asking this question on
a national site.I just wondered if any train could add two dead in tow locomotives
to their consist on the way to Cincinnati.

Mark

Ft. Wayne

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:40 pm

The 197 would be the most likely candidate to take them south out of Ft Wayne if that were indeed the case since it works East Wayne Yard. The 143,173,175,177 etc come off the Chicago District bypassing East Wayne altogether.

I think it's very unlikely a road train would stop at Muncie to pick them up due to the time and moves involved (aka tie down at Noell, make a reverse move to South Yards to get to the Delco Lead, inspect the engines line of road, etc. etc.) By the 368 taking them to East Wayne, this would eliminate clogging up Muncie any more than it needs to be.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:51 pm

The grape vine says they could/would use one of the Chatt trains and recrew once at Muncie with a MR crew and let them make the grab.
Then again, I've heard that a special would be called and just use a engine from the yard and run as a (ZERO) train.

I love me some rumors, what makes that railroad go Chooochooo ya know. :lol:
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Mark wrote:
CIOR wrote:

The L82 could easily pull them and put them in the Delco track for pickup.
Thank you , CIOR, for answering.I got bit for asking this question on
a national site.I just wondered if any train could add two dead in tow locomotives
to their consist on the way to Cincinnati.

Mark

Ft. Wayne
Thus why most of us stopped posting on certain "national" sites! :D To many on there that don't know what they speak anyway.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:19 pm

CIOR wrote:The grape vine says they could/would use one of the Chatt trains and recrew once at Muncie with a MR crew and let them make the grab.
Then again, I've heard that a special would be called and just use a engine from the yard and run as a (ZERO) train.

I love me some rumors, what makes that railroad go Chooochooo ya know. :lol:
Somethin must be cookin....an 099 is planned, but who knows what day or time :shock:

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Big Ed wrote:The 197 would be the most likely candidate to take them south out of Ft Wayne if that were indeed the case since it works East Wayne Yard. The 143,173,175,177 etc come off the Chicago District bypassing East Wayne altogether.

I think it's very unlikely a road train would stop at Muncie to pick them up due to the time and moves involved (aka tie down at Noell, make a reverse move to South Yards to get to the Delco Lead, inspect the engines line of road, etc. etc.) By the 368 taking them to East Wayne, this would eliminate clogging up Muncie any more than it needs to be.
THANK YOU BIG ED!
You're the man who answered my operational question
of why the darn dead in tow units might need to go to
East Wayne yard and then back South.Now I understand
the practicality of the moves.

Mark

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:40 am

You're welcome Mark.

Now I'm hearing rumblings of a possible light power move special to get some of the new ACe's outta town. July 4th is barely two weeks away and NS will want them in place at least 24-48 hours early in preps for their portrait in N. Carolina. If time is running tight towards the end with the rest of the units in production, look for this possible power move to be treated hotter than a UPS train to get them down south!

conrailman75
Veteran

Post by conrailman75 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:33 pm

The last I had heard, they were going to have a train pick up the Erie and Reading units and take them straight south to Chattanooga to be set up instead of Conway - has that happened yet :? Also, I've heard the last six are going to sent directly to Spencer to give them time to be ready for the event. The other thing I've heard is that if time really gets tight, Progress may just hurry up and paint these units and give them to NS for the event and then NS will bring them back to be properly finished. Its going to be really interesting these next two weeks to see if Progress can get these things delivered in time, because if they cause NS to have egg on its face, I guarantee that it will be a VERY long time before NS gives EMD anymore orders for new locomotives :!:
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:28 pm

conrailman75 wrote:The last I had heard, they were going to have a train pick up the Erie and Reading units and take them straight south to Chattanooga to be set up instead of Conway - has that happened yet :? Also, I've heard the last six are going to sent directly to Spencer to give them time to be ready for the event. The other thing I've heard is that if time really gets tight, Progress may just hurry up and paint these units and give them to NS for the event and then NS will bring them back to be properly finished. Its going to be really interesting these next two weeks to see if Progress can get these things delivered in time, because if they cause NS to have egg on its face, I guarantee that it will be a VERY long time before NS gives EMD anymore orders for new locomotives :!:

Considering what is going on, I don't think there is any issue. The hold up, I've heard reasons why they haven't come out, but remember they are also pumping out the engines for other railroads too...GE didn't paint the engines, but EMD is. Thus adding a layer of complexity.
I've counted all the remaining units outside in primer, and have been told that 2 of the remaining units are in paint and the others are in process. So given the remaining time and seeing that EMD Muncie has been pumping them out, I don't see much an issue. I guess being able to actually see what is going on here is different though.

I was told there was a reason the FMG unit order got shoved out (something about the ship loading).
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com