Strange situation, at least it seemed like it.

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Strange situation, at least it seemed like it.

Post by Bob Durnell » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 am

Yesterday afternoon when Iwas leaving work, I spied a nice slow moving freight westbound on the NKP. I drove out through town, finally getting ahead of it by Hadley Road, but decided to run on out to Dunfee and set up for some pictures. I waited several minutes and the train crossed West Hamilton Road and stopped on the main, somewhat short of the Dunfee siding. It sat there for ten or more minutes and THEN pulled forward and took the siding. About five minutes later, the expected eastbound came rolling through. My question is, why would the westbound stop on the main, wait several minutes, and then take the siding? The thought crossed my mind that another westbound could have been exiting the siding, but as quickly as the eastbound got there, that didn't seem likely. Any ideas? Operations is NOT one of my strong suits in railroad knowledge.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Re: Strange situation, at least it seemed like it.

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 am

BOB, I DON'T KNOW THE LAYOUT OF THAT SIDING, BUT HE MAY HAVE BEEN TIMING IT SO HE WOULDN'T BLOCK CROSSINGS IN THE SIDING FOR TOO LONG. BETTER THAN A RUN IN WITH THE LAW.

KEITH

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm not sure, but he MAY have been blocking West Hamilton Road (light traffic) while he was sitting on the main, and then when he pulled into the siding, he blocked West County Line Road. (fairly heavy traffic) I would have thought Dunfee siding could have held that train without blocking the crossing, but maybe not.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Bob,

Come to Kingsland siding. In the middle of the siding is CR700N. On a daily (it seems) basis, a NIMBY calls the sheriff to complain about a blocked crossing. As NB (timetable West) trains hit the Bluffton Holdout signal the dispatcher will tell them to find a place to stop off crossings (usually not possible if the train is over a mile long) if the meet will be delayed and the "heat is on". Other times, when a train will be sitting in the siding for a while, they have to walk back and cut the crossing.

This doesn't happen all the time, just when the locals want to make an issue. But you can see trains stopping on the main away from a siding or within sight of it.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:41 pm

You may be right. Perhaps he was reducing the amount of time they would block County Line Road by sitting on the main for awhile.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:38 pm

The aggravating part is when they try to keep the offending road crossing clear, they often block two other, more travelled roads, inconveniencing many more.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:58 am

rrnut282 wrote:Bob,

Come to Kingsland siding. In the middle of the siding is CR700N. On a daily (it seems) basis, a NIMBY calls the sheriff to complain about a blocked crossing. As NB (timetable West) trains hit the Bluffton Holdout signal the dispatcher will tell them to find a place to stop off crossings (usually not possible if the train is over a mile long) if the meet will be delayed and the "heat is on". Other times, when a train will be sitting in the siding for a while, they have to walk back and cut the crossing.

This doesn't happen all the time, just when the locals want to make an issue. But you can see trains stopping on the main away from a siding or within sight of it.
Oh I've met the guy face to face, as have a few others. When it first started he would come down to the crossing.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:59 pm

CIOR wrote: Oh I've met the guy face to face, as have a few others. When it first started he would come down to the crossing.
And you didn't offer him a free ride in an unmarked "lost" car in your consist?
rrnut282
(Mike)

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 pm

:roll: There was a hugh fire this afternoon down by the NKP tracks-I think at Omni. :|