Questions

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cptp1973
Veteran

Questions

Post by cptp1973 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 am

Which railroad operated on the abandoned right-of-way near milemarker 230 on I-69 and when was it abandoned? Also, are there any plans to operate the former NKP west of Van Buren that is currently out of service? In addition, how far east does the former Panhandle go? I thought it was abandoned through Hartford City several years back. These questions came to mind as I travelled on I-69 yesterday.

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Re: Questions

Post by Steve Bryan » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:16 am

I'm not sure I understand your question concerning the NKP. The former NKP west of Van Buren is not abandoned and is used every day. Are you are referring to the former NYC west of Van Buren? If so, there is a long shot it could be reactivated if the Headwaters Junction ever comes to fruition.

cptp1973
Veteran

Post by cptp1973 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Yes, I meant west of Van Buren. Too much travelling the last two days!

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:54 pm

The NKP West of VanBurn Street is part of the mainline to Chicago and as stated above used multiple times every day.
I'll assume you were talking about Van Buren, IN and not Van Vuren Street in the Fort :wink:

This is part of the former Cloverleaf Route. I have not heard of any plans to operate this segment. It is so overgrown it will take several chainsaws to even inspect the line. To make the prospects even dimmer, the segment of this line between Marion and Kokomo is now in danger with work on resurrecting the former I&MC from Kokomo to Tipton taking place. Kokomo Grain could send its unit grain trains to NS in Tipton instead of Marion.

It's been a while since I've driven that way, but I think the line you're asking about at MP230 is a former PRR line. I'll let someone more familiar with that area get more specific.

Last time I went through, the Panhandle appears to end at SR26 on the West side of Hartford City. There are ties dug into the gage within sight of the highway and the track is removed to the East. I have heard the bridge over the NS New Castle District has been removed on the East side of Hartford City, too. Track begins again on the West side of Dunkirk and goes to Redkey.
rrnut282
(Mike)

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Not to mention between Marion and Van Buren the trackage has been removed in 3 or more locations.
8v71

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Are you referring to a location near Anderson? It's probably the PRR line that once ran from Logansport to Richmond, via Anderson and Elwood. Today's NS New Castle District would be a remaining portion of this line. Next time, posting a geographic location or place name might help, a lot of us aren't necessarily familiar with highway milemarkers.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Here is a map of the PRR Cincinnati division from 1941 that might show the line at mile 230

cptp1973
Veteran

Post by cptp1973 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:16 am

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions. I have always wondered who operated the line north of Anderson and when it was abandoned. In addition, the former NKP west of Van Buren, IN has a special place in my heart as I used to watch trains travel on it through Decatur when I was young. It is ashamed that it is gone now along with the EL.