New Track

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Jim
Veteran

New Track

Post by Jim » Fri May 03, 2013 12:12 am

I was walking on the Maplecrest bridge last night and noticed some new track was laid in the yard just East of the bridge. A week ago it was an out of service switch with no track connected to it.

Hey Doug, do you suppose this will allow trains to park on the Chicago main to drop off/pick up cars at East Wayne instead of parking on the Huntington main?

I wonder if they are trying to create more flexibility in anticipation of increased train traffic when Bellevue yard doubles in size? :wink:
Attachments
4 Mile 1.jpg
4 Mile 2.jpg

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Re: New Track

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat May 04, 2013 9:28 am

I believe it looks like they are reinstalling the River Haven Connection that was put in place before the railroad added two tracks to the north side of the yard. When the two new tracks were built, the connection was removed, after having been there for only a short period of time. This permits trains to come from the Chicago main to the Huntington District at the west end of East Wayne. It saves having to shove grain trains east of NE to go west for the Huntington and/or New Castle District.

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Sun May 05, 2013 11:47 am

:D Hey Jim, its like the Larre says-NS does what it has to do to keep them runnin'! HA, HA! :mrgreen:

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm slightly confused, is the West end of this new track connected to the snake track?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 pm

by rrnut282 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm slightly confused, is the West end of this new track connected to the snake track?
Yes, via crossovers.

4Quad
Veteran

Post by 4Quad » Tue May 07, 2013 1:03 pm

This track was removed for a short time because NS originally built it right through the planned location of one of the new Maplecrest Rd. bridge piers. This was after NS signed off on the proposed pier locations.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed May 08, 2013 7:08 am

Wayne Gest wrote:
by rrnut282 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes, via crossovers.
Well, that makes more sense. It's been too long since I've been out that way. :(
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Wed May 08, 2013 11:06 am

Now, for those of us that actually have to USE the roads around East Wayne, if we could just get them to STOP using the Snake Track as a switching lead! :x
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed May 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:Now, for those of us that actually have to USE the roads around East Wayne, if we could just get them to STOP using the Snake Track as a switching lead! :x
Well, its about the only way to double out anything going to the Huntington or New Castle district from that end of the yard.
If you double out, you can't go out the Chicago side like normal switching does. Trust when I say its not much fun to double up on the snake.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Wed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm

What CIOR said. Also, they seldom ever use it as the switching lead, usually switching is done with the switching signal at Four Mile that permits them out onto the Chicago District at restricted speed, the flashing red frequently seen at Four Mile. Unless things have changed, this is done the vast majority of the time.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Wed May 08, 2013 10:16 pm

Wayne Gest wrote:What CIOR said. Also, they seldom ever use it as the switching lead, usually switching is done with the switching signal at Four Mile that permits them out onto the Chicago District at restricted speed, the flashing red frequently seen at Four Mile. Unless things have changed, this is done the vast majority of the time.
Isn't it easier to plan your trip to avoid blockages at the west end of the yard now? Of course, this has done nothing to change the blocked crossings at Hartzell Road and east of there.

Jim
Veteran

Post by Jim » Wed May 08, 2013 10:54 pm

I walk/bike the Maplecrest bridge a lot and most of the time I have watched them switching they were using the snake as the lead. it must be easier then asking for the blinker.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu May 09, 2013 5:49 am

Wayne Gest wrote: Isn't it easier to plan your trip to avoid blockages at the west end of the yard now? Of course, this has done nothing to change the blocked crossings at Hartzell Road and east of there.
I work on Old Maumee Road west of Four Mile, and Old Maumee/Estella/Nelson is our preferred way to get to New Haven, as it is faster, plus the scenery is better. At least with the new road you can't get trapped on the east side of the tracks, but there isn't a day that goes by that they don't have the Snake tied up with switching moves, while the two main tracks sit empty. It just seems like the tracks should be constructed to use them instead. One would think that backing through the Snake would provide more potential for derailments. My other pet peeve is when they allow road trains bound for the Huntingtion District to leave the yard, block Old Maumee, and then give them a stop signal. If they aren't cleared all the way onto the Huntington, why have them leave the yard at all?
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Thu May 09, 2013 5:00 pm

If they aren't cleared all the way onto the Huntington, why have them leave the yard at all?[/quote]

I miss the Four Mile House.
We could eat there and watch the switching
at the same time.Good steak and eggs.

Is this connection handthrown from Snake to
Chicago single main or dispatcher controlled now.

Thanks

Mark

I just spoke with the Junction Tower op.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Switch to the Snake track is short of the signal at Four Mile and is a hand throw switch.

Cannot say what the railroad is doing now, all I know is that it is much preferred to switch and kick cars from straight track and not from the Snake Track.

As for pulling out into the Snake and waiting for a signal, it wasn't that it never happened but can remember many occasions setting at Four Mile waiting for verbal confirmation that they were going to handle the train. Been away nearly 2 1/2 years now so anything said is not current.