Van Wert CF&E

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Van Wert CF&E

Post by cjberndt » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Does CF&E serve the industries in Van Wert with power from Ft. Wayne or elsewhere? I saw hoppers and tank cars north of the diamond but didn't see any locomotives today, my first visit in many years.

The ex-Big-4 track serves industries north and south of the PRR (CF&E) mainline, but only in Van Wert. It doesn't extend north or south of the city. The No Trespassing sign on the transfer track ahead at right-center has MP 103.05 painted on it.

No lights needed on the Pennsy signals. Too bad.

Craig
Attachments
Van Wert Big-4 lk N 12-20-14.jpg
Van Wert PRR  lk E 12-20-14.jpg

h2466
Veteran

Re: Van Wert CF&E

Post by h2466 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:15 am

Power and cars usually come from Lima. Ken 8)

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:30 am

Craig, the Pennsy signals still work. I believe when a train will be coming you will see the mainline signals lit. I think also the dwarfs still work at least they did when they replaced the diamond. There is a transload just north of the Scott Equity elevator. It's north of Bonnewitz Ave. They can only spot 5 propane tank cars at a time there. The propane tank cars north of there are usually ones yet to be unloaded. By regulation they have to be away from the ones being unloaded. They use a derail and such where they unload the propane cars. The elevator gives the CF&E a pretty decent business when they are shipping out grain and the rate is right. Anywhere from a couple of grain cars up to 20-25 can be there. The LIVW comes from Lima and services Van Wert.

Also, on the new supersite trackage there is a scrap company just west of US 127 that had their switch put in when they put in the supersite trackage. Up til now they haven't put in their siding. A friend talked to them and they indicated they would like to put the siding in. On the very south end of the old Cincinnati Northern in town the RR goes and services Continental Structural Plastics with pressurized covered hoppers which carry special type limestone/product which only comes from Vermont. CSP gives the CF&E a nice business also. East of Van Wert 3-4 miles there is the Van Wert Terminal. It has a very large storage tank/AKA The Big Tank and the owner just put up a smaller tank in the last 2 years. There is a transload for covered hoppers there as well. The product goes by semi to a glass plant in Indiana. They also, have tank cars for bean oil unloaded there to the storage tank. The Van Wert Terminal gives the CF&E a very good business also.

With the upcoming NS oil trains and other runthroughs the CF&E/NS will keep the rails polished through Van Wert from Tolleston, IN to Crestline, OH. :D

PW

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I wish trains were running when I get time to take photos. Signals with lights are nice.

The supersite is in the NE corner of Van Wert?

There was one covered hopper south of the elevator, and 6 tank cars on the mainline just south of US-30. You can barely see the end of the hopper in the photo looking north on the Big-Four.

The MP 130.05 sign on the transfer track, is it a PRR or Big-Four MP?

Craig

willieVW
Regular

Post by willieVW » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:40 pm

I took a trip east of Lima Oh to check out the track improvements I have been reading about, and was amazed at the amount of track work that has been done.
mostly new ties ,ballast and straight rail from tamping. Near Dola Oh a new looking hot box and dragging equipment detector is in place. The track work looked more involved than routine maintenance. Clearly N.S. has lots of trains to run over the CFE

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:49 pm

cjberndt wrote:Thanks for the info. I wish trains were running when I get time to take photos. Signals with lights are nice.

The supersite is in the NE corner of Van Wert?

There was one covered hopper south of the elevator, and 6 tank cars on the mainline just south of US-30. You can barely see the end of the hopper in the photo looking north on the Big-Four.

The MP 130.05 sign on the transfer track, is it a PRR or Big-Four MP?

Craig

Don't know where you got the 130.05 because the CN Mile marker should be 103.The Pennsy would be around 287 or so around the diamond.

JW

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:54 pm

Craig, yes the supersite is just northeast of Van Wert. It's just farmland right now of course. The new supersite trackage crosses US 127 goes all way behind Walmart and ends for now at Marsh road. Has yellow track bumper right up to Marsh road on the west side. I'm not sure of the milepost marker. Have a friend who might know. Check out on Youtube Scott Taipale. He has many videos of the CF&E and a few of new NS trains. I think he has the first WB NS train on there knocking the Pennsy signal to red as it goes by. Love those signals! Have to see if the signals end up being on borrowed time. Hope not.

PW

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:22 pm

Thanks again.

My error on the milepost. I had it right in the first post above: MP 103.05. That makes it CN.

Two final questions. Who owns the former CN track in Van Wert? Is the LIVW the IORY? If not, what is LIVW?

Craig

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:01 pm

The Van Wert County Port Authority owns most if not all of the old CN track. The RR may own some. Always seems to be some question on who owns what. The LIVW is the Lima/Van Wert turn the CF&E runs. Just like the LIFW is the Lima/Fort Wayne turn CF&E runs.

PW

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:17 pm

bnsf8000 wrote:The Van Wert County Port Authority owns most if not all of the old CN track. The RR may own some. Always seems to be some question on who owns what. The LIVW is the Lima/Van Wert turn the CF&E runs. Just like the LIFW is the Lima/Fort Wayne turn CF&E runs.

PW
I thought the Port Authority only owns the new trackage to the Supersite. Ken 8)

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Ken, I've heard the same thing you're talking about. I myself have never asked anybody that would know. I do know a county commissioner maybe I should ask this question. Who knows what he'll say. :lol:

PW

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:42 pm

Ask the one that is the lawyer he'll give the best answer of the three.lol

JW