Bob's Fort Wayne area photo of the week

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: Bob's Fort Wayne area photo of the week

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 pm

7-6-17. Brand new Tier IV Union Pacific SD70ACes fresh from the EMD Muncie, preparing to make the next move towards their home rails, seen here at East Wayne Yard.
Attachments
DSC15053.JPG
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 am

Are they moved dead or under power? If they were moved dead, are there speed or other restrictions?

Craig

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:04 am

As far as I know, all new units like this are moved dead, (as these were) as they aren't set up for operation until they get to a designated home road shop. Surprisingly to me, the newest Norfolk Southern units are being set up at Elkhart. I believe there are timetable speed restrictions for light engine moves like this, perhaps 40 MPH.
The sweetest sounds in the world: A pair 567's at idle, and a non turbo 645 in run 8!

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:37 am

Remember when Fort Wayne Newspapers still got newsprint by rail? Here are some late 90's early 2000's shots of Canadian boxcars at the dock.
Attachments
Scan0065.jpg
Scan0068.jpg

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:10 am

Sometime in the late 90's Indiana Hi-Rail #332 showed up at East Wayne Yard. This ALCO C420 is ex-Monon #515 and was last known to be in a dead line on the Arkansas & Missouri Railroad in 2014. IF this locomotive still exists, I would hope that maybe it could be repatriated to Indiana and cosmetically restored some day. I'm not a big ALCO guy, but there are only two preserved Monon locomotives, and maybe only a couple more including this one that still exists.
Attachments
Scan_Pic00006 East Wayne Yard New Haven IN.jpg

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:30 pm

I could not find anything that would suggest that it is still alive, nor have I found anything to confirm that it is gone either.

Mike

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:57 am

Not QUITE Allen County, but close. 12/16/18 CR E1100N Huntington County, NS Wabash MP 159. With the sun quickly setting, a westbound manifest hustles down the line.
Attachments
DSC17369.JPG

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:00 am

Bob Durnell wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:57 am
Not QUITE Allen County, but close. 12/16/18 CR E1100N Huntington County, NS Wabash MP 159. With the sun quickly setting, a westbound manifest hustles down the line.
I like that photo. I notice from the milepost that the location is only 11 miles from the point where this line crosses the St Marys river in Fort Wayne. Never really realized that points in Huntington County were within walking distance from here. But obviously they are.
Paralleling the Little river would be a good location for a bike path.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:07 am

I've always hated the "jpg only" compression in my own digital camera...wish there was a way I could select a trade off between storage capacity and image quality.
If I could make such a choice I think I would gladly move to a lossless compression method, and forego the ability to carry 1000+ images at a time.

I guess that only the top dollar cameras give you such an option? (RAW I believe is the format of choice for those cameras?)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:49 pm

I shoot in RAW a majority of the time but the trade off is that it does use twice the storage space.. 12- 20 meg file size a person go through a lot of memory, I carry 64 gig cards in my camera and use Adobe Lightroom to edit.

Mike

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:19 pm

I readily acknowledge that "you get what you pay for"....and all that goes along with it.

I'm using an old Kodak Z-650 that I bought at a Salvation Army store for $18 ten years ago. So I don't have a lot of room to complain. I'm definitely getting my $18 worth.

But, it's a 6 MP camera....which ostensibly was supposed to be a big improvement over the 2 MP camera it replaced. It wasn't.

With 3 times the resolution of the camera it replaced, you would expect markedly improved pictures. Why didn't that happen? "Compression"
With this camera it's either jpg or nothing. Makes me wonder what value would really be there to buy a 12+ MP camera, if its still using a lossy compression scheme .

And the Impression I've gotten is that any camera offering RAW as an option is going to be over 5 bills...and I'm just not quite that much into it to spend that much, so I guess I've made my own bed on that one.
I'd gladly carry around a few extra cards for storage if I could just make the switch with the existing camera, but that ain't gonna happen.

I guess part of it is that the processing (time) end of it has a lot to do with the compression being mandatory too. with the tiny processor in my el cheapo camera, it would take a lot longer to process the data in an uncompressed image (like 30-40 seconds minimum, per picture) compared to the few seconds I'm now enjoying with jpg.
SO, that's probably a good indicator of why the RAW format is only available on the pricier cameras.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Both of my Sonys are capable of shooting in RAW format, but honestly, I have never even tried to do it. I guess I should experiment. This particular picture is admittedly lees than it should be for two reasons. One, the camera settings were less than optimum, and two, it was a good bit darker that night than the camera lets on, and in attempt to make those big black 200 ton monsters actually show up, I probably "over processed" the image. I will also say that at those light levels, a tripod would have helped. Objects moving quickly in low light conditions is probably best left to the more skilled among us. All that aside, I REALLY like that picture, and plan on going back and duplicating it under more favorable conditions.

RDJ
Veteran

Post by RDJ » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 pm

Lightroom may have the same RAW editing as photoshop.
In photoshop a jpg file can be loaded and edited as a RAW file.
Most of the RAW editor tools can be used on the jpg files.
Just make sure to save your edited file as a jpg file.
If it gets saved as a RAW file you will not be able to use your regular jpg editor.
Raw editing is fun to play with.
Give it a try..nothing to loose.

RD

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm

RDJ wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:38 pm
Just make sure to save your edited file as a jpg file.
If it gets saved as a RAW file you will not be able to use your regular jpg editor.
Or, save it as a *.png file, and avoid the *hack hack hack* in image quality.

Avoiding the .jpg compression altogether would be my first preference.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Another crappy old scan of a dreary day, but worth a look. I don't have the date on this one at the moment, but sometime in the 90's shortly after the diamonds came out at Mike and were replaced by switches.
Attachments
Scan0026.jpg