Comment and question

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Re: Comment and question

Post by Hotbox » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:17 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 am

Do you have the story on the burning caboose? I have a burning caboose story of my own from Chicago.
I wish I did, but I don't. I think that "flaming caboose" is a metaphor among some groups. :twisted:

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 pm

Notch 8 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:10 am
I just changed that setting from Zero to Ten..

Good Luck, Mike
So, what happens at 10? Are we given an option to delete old attachments to make room for new, or what?

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:14 am

Hotbox wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:19 pm
Notch 8 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:10 am
I just changed that setting from Zero to Ten..

Good Luck, Mike
So, what happens at 10? Are we given an option to delete old attachments to make room for new, or what?
Zero on several of the setting equals unlimited on several of the settings, I believe 10 equals the number of attachments per post.. and I will increase that number if it's needed to be increased. The new server that we switched to has plenty of space so there is no need to delete anything to make for more room. I guess the next time before I change any setting that I will screenshot it before making any changes. What was messing with me is Bob was unable to post anything but I was able to upload photos'.. it's working now !

There are not many that post here but as long as there are those that have interest in The Fort Wayne Railfan I will do what I can do to keep it up and running. The server is still at Greg LaVoie's house in Elkhart but was upgraded a couple years ago.
If anyone has any suggestions or any changes they would like to see i'm all Ears !

Over the years much information has been contributed to the site about the local railroad scene, Facebook and other sites have taken many members away but I see members still visit and hence the site still serves a purpose.

Thanks Mike !

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:49 am

Well I for one REALLY appreciate what David started, and Greg and then you have carried on. That's the reason I have been trying to do a version of what Craig is doing by posting photos of local interest and generating discussion. That's the way to learn, and interesting topics bring people back to the site, and hopefully snare a few new ones along the way. Keep up the good work!
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:19 pm

...a flaming caboose story of my own....
Taco Tuesday?
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:48 pm

Saturday, 1/8/2011. My wife had an all day business conference in Merrillville, so I dropped her off at the hotel where the conference was, and headed into Chicago for a day of train watching. In the early afternoon, I was exploring Hammond and the area around what was State Line Tower, when I saw a bunch of billowing black smoke to the northwest. I quickly noticed that it seemed to be straight up the South Shore Line, so I raced up Brainerd Ave, and spotting the source of the flames in the South Shore yard southeast of the Hegewisch station across the road from Powderhorn Lake nature Preserve. There was several people standing around watching the caboose burn, and after several minutes, I STILL didn't see any fire, police or railroad personnel, so I started asking if anyone had called 911. Nobody had, so I jumped back in the car and raced down to the station, but found it totally empty. After driving around a little more, I finally found two guys in a NICTD truck and flagged them down. They were totally unaware of what was going on and finally went down to investigate. At first I don't think they even believed me. Eventually fire trucks showed up and put out the fire. We rode the train through there the following summer, and the burnt out caboose was still there, moved over to a track further back away from the road.
Attachments
BBTP1022.JPG
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:40 pm

Bob, your image looks much more believable than mine. The total absence of smoke coming out of the chimney on my photo makes me suspect it might be photochopped. Just found the image on the net several years ago, got no idea about it's history.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:00 am

Bob Durnell wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:14 am

Do you have the story on the burning caboose? I have a burning caboose story of my own from Chicago.

[/quote]

Here is a video of another flaming train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqx5Qq2DUv0