Penn-Central Heritage unit through the Fort

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Penn-Central Heritage unit through the Fort

Post by Hotbox » Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm

I realize this is a question that likely no one can answer with certainty, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Wednesday evening I spotted Norfolk Southern's "Penn-Central" heritage unit trailing in a 3 unit consist, pulling a mixed freight headed west on NS' Huntington district, right around 6:00 PM.
Checking the Heritage Units online tracker, the most recent sighting prior to that was in Lewistown PA at 9:00 Pm Tuesday, westbound in a mixed freight..

That seems like pretty good travel time.....almost too good for the Pennsylvania train to have terminated somewhere and then have the unit lashed up to another west bound movement....but that is speculation only on my part.

My question, which seems more likely to you, that the mixed freight spotted in Lewistown continued on thru Fort Wayne (by what routing?)...or that the Pennsylvania freight did terminate at some interim point and the Heritage unit was put back in service in time to make Fort Wayne within 21 hours of it's Pennsylvania sighting.(and if so where was this transition likely to have happened?

Yeah, I've probably got too much time on my hands. I know

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: Penn-Central Heritage unit through the Fort

Post by Notch 8 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Hotbox wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:56 pm
My question, which seems more likely to you, that the mixed freight spotted in Lewistown continued on thru Fort Wayne (by what routing?)...or that the Pennsylvania freight did terminate at some interim point and the Heritage unit was put back in service in time to make Fort Wayne within 21 hours of it's Pennsylvania sighting.(and if so where was this transition likely to have happened?
Chicago Line to mp 358 and onto the Huntington District or it could have come off the Chicago Line at Vermilion OH down to Bellevue then over to Fort Wayne...

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu May 09, 2019 10:22 pm

Okay, thanks...so does that mean that you think it likely was the same train spotted in Pennsylvania?

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu May 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Notch 8 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Chicago Line to mp 358 and onto the Huntington District or it could have come off the Chicago Line at Vermilion OH down to Bellevue then over to Fort Wayne...
Huntington District trains are all crewed out of Peru, correct? I knew that Peru crews are qualified to Toledo, but are they also qualified Fort Wayne-Bellevue?

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:15 pm

Last I knew crews can go from Peru to Elkhart, Detroit, or Toledo Eastbound and Decatur Westbound. Trains terminating or getting on/off the ex Wabash will have a crew from Peru or Detroit take a cab the rest of the way they aren't on a train.

FWA-Bellevue was its own crew district. FWA-Chicago is a crew district. FWA-Cincy (anymore its only Muncie) is a crew district.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 pm

Okay thanks.
Woulda been nice if someone had reported the unit after it got west of here, but it seems to have fallen into a void for 4 days after I saw it.

I can't say for sure if it went west or south at Hugo,.....looks like they keep it pretty busy though.

RDJ
Veteran

Post by RDJ » Tue May 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Last report:
Chesterton, In.
Eastbound
5/14/2019
2232 hrs.
Leading manifest train.

RD