Back Again

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Back Again

Post by Wayne Gest » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:47 pm

Good to see the site back up. True, there isn't a lot of participation here anymore, I personally don't know who keeps it going but every time it disappears, I think, whoops, there it goes. I appreciate it mostly for the historical value and a glimpse of what is happening in Fort Wayne, rail-wise. Welcome back (again).

Howard
Veteran

Re: Back Again

Post by Howard » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:02 pm

Notch 8 has taken on the administration duties, but Greg Lavoie still has the server and has to reset it when the site crashes.

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:07 pm

Let this website pass into oblivion.

The moderators don't block or erase dumbassdom, and it dominates too many discussions.

I posted a note about a local railroad issue, and here are the sophomoric responses it generated:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4302

Cheeseheads? Those are the people who don't understand the financial and other systems they comment about.

Dumbassdom.

I used to contribute prolifically to this website. Seen anything lately?

Let this website go away.

Craig Berndt

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:17 am

OOP's I think somebody's ox got gored a little bit. :wink: Perhaps if those all knowing ones in local government would do a better job of explaining to us "dumbasses" what they are trying to accomplish, why they are doing it a certain way and the considerations behind it, some of this could be avoided, but then they would have to defend those decisions, and I don't think most want to do that, not that there is any media left in this town to ask an actual tough question that might put somebody on the spot. If you want to defend the cluster**** that is the Bass Road project, take your best shot. Like I said, we are HOW MANY years into this project, and that road can't handle one single more car now than when it they started, and as long as the I69 bridge is two lane, it really never will. While we're at at it, I see that just months after the Hillegas Road-Coliseum Blvd. taffy pull was completed, the new guard rails (which do not extend far enough east) have already been mangled and the pavement is disintegrating in places.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 am

cjberndt wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:07 pm
Let this website pass into oblivion.

The moderators don't block or erase dumbassdom, and it dominates too many discussions.

I posted a note about a local railroad issue, and here are the sophomoric responses it generated:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4302

Cheeseheads? Those are the people who don't understand the financial and other systems they comment about.

Dumbassdom.

I used to contribute prolifically to this website. Seen anything lately?

Let this website go away.

Craig Berndt
Well.. Instead of saying Moderator why didn't you just say MIke ?

The reason I got involved is I did not want this site to disappear... And yes you're correct maybe it should have been allowed to just disappear.

Craig, There many different aspects to the Hobby.. Some Folks do video.. Some Folks just do Photo's, Some Folks record engine numbers, the direction they're facing, the time they passed. Some Folks just watch, Some People are into the Historical aspect. My Point is there are many aspects to the Hobby.

I've asked for suggestions, a couple were given. Yes I might post things that might not interest you, You might post things that I might not be interest me.. but I don't see it as the end of the World.. there were weeks.. months.. nothing was posted..

Anyone that wants to Moderate or change anything feel free to contact me...

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:29 am

I believe that any well-founded premise should be easily defensible. Especially from "unqualified" critics (dumbasses, basically).
I've seen several forums where it was incumbent upon the masses to kiss the hand of the "enlightened", and it didn't look like anyone besides the enlightened were enjoying themselves. Something about "the king and his clothes" might apply here?

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:34 am

Notch 8 wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:15 am

Anyone that wants to Moderate or change anything feel free to contact me...
A vote of confidence from me to you, I think you do a good job here, and I am grateful that this place has not gone *poof*

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:24 pm

I've always enjoyed, appreciated, and learned from Craig Berndt's historical postings. I gather he wasn't happy with some political-leaning responses. Well I don't think this is a forum for politics or complaining about road projects, but I sure hope if he has any things of interest to share in the future, he will.

I don't even live in Indiana anymore but I still check in here on a regular basis and am pleased that Notch 8 has made the effort to keep it going.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Fri May 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Sorry Craig, I have to disagree with you here. Dumping on volunteers who spend their own time and own money (internet connection, electricity) and don't have the time left over to edit every post is counter-productive. I enjoy your posts. I look forward to more.

Take a look at Trains forum. Every mention of political buzzwords is monitored and entire threads disappear for having those words in one post, despite great information elsewhere. Their traffic is way down in response. I can be on the road for over a week and the list of unread posts doesn't change after a week away. And they're a forum of national scope, not a corner of one state.

The daily beatings will continue until morale improves....
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:17 am
, but then they would have to defend those decisions, and I don't think most want to do that, not that there is any media left in this town to ask an actual tough question that might put somebody on the spot. If you want to defend the cluster**** that is the Bass Road project, take your best shot.
I'd just like to mention that I echo your sentiment about the local media's toothlessness, as well as what frequently appears to be intentional opaqueness on behalf of the city.

As far as the Bass/Hadley roundabout goes, I doubt it was ever intended "for the good of all" which is why (as you point out) it hasn't increased overall throughput . I suspect it's primary intended benefit is more to ease congestion for the workers commuting to and from the nearby industrial operations during their shift change.

It does get irritating to see local government basically pouring big money into special interests like these, and then turn around and claim "there isn't enough money to fix potholes, we need to levy a new tax".

Perhaps they believe no one is paying attention? (and to be clear, that is in no way intended to be a personal criticism of Craig.)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 pm

Hotbox wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 pm
Bob Durnell wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:17 am

As far as the Bass/Hadley roundabout goes, I doubt it was ever intended "for the good of all" which is why (as you point out) it hasn't increased overall throughput . I suspect it's primary intended benefit is more to ease congestion for the workers commuting to and from the nearby industrial operations during their shift change.
Certainly easing congestion at the Bass/Hadley intersection is a valid concern, and I have ZERO issue with that goal in and of itself. My contention is that the "solution" was an overly complicated answer to a fairly simple question, and the biggest bur in my saddle is that like the other two projects on Bass Road, NONE of them were built looking to the future. The I69 bridge and the two roundabouts are SINGLE LANE, when the long term answer is to four lane Bass at least as far as Scott Road, if not further. All one has to do is look at the cluster**** that Covington and Aboite Center Roads are to see what happens when you try to answer the question twenty five years after it was asked. Allen County has still had a perfect opportunity to not make the same mistakes they ALWAYS make, and once again, they totally muffed it. I always tell the story of my occasional visits to the Dallas area and see where they have built six lane roads into empty fields AHEAD of growth, not forty years behind it like Fort Wayne and Allen County ALWAYS do. That doesn't even begin to address the piecemeal way the project was carried out, snarling traffic for a completely unacceptable amount of time. Hillegas Road is another prime example. EVERYBODY knows that Hillegas needs to be and at some point will be four laned from the airport all the way north, but guess what? When two highway bridges get replaced, ZERO provisions for more lanes. Every decision seems to take place in a vacuum, totally disconnected from the reality of the bigger picture and the ultimate goal. Downtown is another great example. ONLY in Fort Wayne does it make sense to eliminate a lane on one of the busiest streets in the city (Jefferson), especially taking into account that due to perpetual construction, one or more of the other lanes is out of commission 75% of the time. I would fire somebody for even SUGGESTING such a stupid idea. Sorry about the rant, and maybe this isn't the place for it, but the subject of the Hadley project came up, and I just couldn't help myself. Funny enough, Craig was actually the one that told me about the Hadley project several years before it came to pass, and I told him then it was stupid idea. I know several people that are so intimidated by it, they no longer drive on Bass Road.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 am

Well, I guess we are on opposite sides of the coin then. I would be upset if the locals were building 6 lane roads to nowhere with my money. I look at Ferguson Rd where it was 4 laned west of hwy 27 nearly 50 years ago, for no worthwhile reason that I can determine...and still cannot.

I've lived in some of the most popular big cities in America, and while there are certain benefits, I believe the people who are determined to recast Ft Wayne into a "lil Chicago" are out of their minds. We are close enough to Chicago, Cincinnati, and Indianapolis that we can go there when we need an urban fix, I'll leave it at that.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat May 02, 2020 12:07 pm

The example I used in Dallas was in areas that were already committed to growth. The houses and businesses were coming to to that land whether the infrastructure was ready or not. They chose to get out in front of it, not wait forty years and then engineer some half-assed fix. The biggest problem with Ferguson Road is that in Typical Fort Wayne fashion, first they built it in THE WRONG PLACE, and then they did HALF the job! Anybody with a brain could have seen that the correct place for that road would have been to connect Dalman to 27 by way of Dunkelburg and Maples Roads. At the VERY LEAST, they should have cut across the fields and connected Ferguson to the intersection of Airport Expressway and Blufton Road and salvaged SOMETHING out of the previous mistake, but no, we would rather continue to have a four lane road that serves no purpose at all. Lord only knows how much economic growth could have occurred in that corridor if they had some roads that actually went somewhere. The eastern half of Airport Expressway is a head scratcher too. Lining it up to meet Tillman and not Paulding would have made a LOT more sense, and carry it all the way to 27, not just die on the vine at Fairfield.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat May 02, 2020 12:53 pm

Bob Durnell wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:07 pm
. The eastern half of Airport Expressway is a head scratcher too. Lining it up to meet Tillman and not Paulding would have made a LOT more sense, and carry it all the way to 27, not just die on the vine at Fairfield.
{**dubious fanfare**}

Now you are getting into a realm that I actually know something about. The original plans for the Baer Field ThruWay contemplated the northern end to project more northerly, running roughly on top of Woodhurst Blvd, Joining with Fairfield at Petit, and continuing downtown via Fairfield.

The wealthy living in Woodhurst were incensed over the thought of their peace being breached in this way, but fought the battle in the commoner's court. Launching a "Save Foster Park" crusade. The original path would have required much more parkland be devoted to the improved road, and the Gold Coasters basically hid out behind a specious rally to save the Park. I believe that Win Moses had his hat in the ring, but I can't remember whose side he was on.
So anyway, they went to plan "B" which consumed less park land...a political "fix".

As is so often the case,.. the City's lack of transparency serves mostly to shield it's subordination to the deep pockets who always seem to get first pick.

Similarly, I thought the reconfiguration of Fairfield and Ewing streets between the river and the PRR viaduct was supposed to be an "incubator" of growth? "Catalytic and transformative" I believe are the buzz words we've been spoon fed.

From my perspective not much else has come out of this particular project except to perhaps subordinate the taxpayers to Mr Doden's whim.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat May 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Well in that situation, I think I would have to side with the homeowners. Running a major thoroughfare through THAT neighborhood with the houses that close to the street is a goofy and in my opinion pointless idea. Fairfield in not where you want be, you want to get to Lafayette, and in that era you would have wanted to funnel people into Southgate and SouthTown. Running all of that Southgate traffic across on Pettit doesn't make a lot of sense compared to letting them run up Calhoun or Lafayette. I'm not understanding where Foster Park played into the plan though. Am I missing something?