765 on the move in the near future??

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Anonymous

765 on the move in the near future??

Post by Anonymous » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:13 pm

I live near Hillsdale Mi home of the Indiana Northeastern R.R., last fall the Little River Railroad brought their little steamer to Hillsdale to turn it on the wye. Now the rumor has it that a group representing NKP 765 was along to checkout the rail line. Now the rumor has it that 765 will come to Michigan to run some trips over the INER. when checking with Railroad officals they are mum about it. So the question is has any one heard about the possible trip to Mich.?

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:47 pm

Steve,

I believe I heard that that idea was shot down. I don't know exact reasons but I think it had to do with track conditions and that big fat locomotive driving the rail deep into the mud.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Anonymous

765 on the move

Post by Anonymous » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:20 pm

I knew that the trackage in Indiana was a little rough but from what I saw
there was plenty of ballast. unless they were planning on running west of
Coldwater, the tracks west of there are in rough shape due to the previous operatorof the line not maintaining the tracks. Its a shame, It should would have been nice tho see 765 stretching her legs once again.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:31 am

It would most likely have been tip-toe anyway. Unless that track is FRA Class 4 or higher, allowable speed would have been slow(er). It's going to take a well-maintained mainline to let 765 stretch her new legs in style (and speed). Unfortunately, insurance concerns will probably limit speed, no matter where she goes. :evil:
rrnut282
(Mike)

Howard
Veteran

Post by Howard » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:29 pm

I think the max would have been 10 or 15 in Indiana and 30 to Hillsdale if it had run. Not exactly what we expect from a 765 run.

From what I've heard, talks are ongoing with various operations, but nothing has been developed yet--at least not for publication. I rather expect it will go somewhere this summer.

dbrackin7
Veteran

great idea

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:14 am

I have a great trip idea for 765, due to indiana transportations muesem lossof there steam engine, okay not a loss but it cannot be run until updated to new standards, 765 could do the fair train. A week long of steam, yes it would be a short trip to the fair from fishers but at least thousands of people could ride behind it. THe question is the rails to and from itm and the fair adequate enough to handle 765?

the good side at least FWHS wouldnt have to locate and rent or lease or borrow passenger cars they would be supplied. :lol:

CIOR
Veteran

Re: great idea

Post by CIOR » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:05 am

dbrackin7 wrote:THe question is the rails to and from itm and the fair adequate enough to handle 765?
I would say NO, just from the looks. They being the NKP didn't allow the berks down that line in its heyday.

The other issue would be moving it to Indy. It wouldn't be just one railroad, it would involve 2, NS and CSX. Might get pricey for a weeks worth of work.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Greg46m
Site Admin

Re: great idea

Post by Greg46m » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:29 am

CIOR wrote: The other issue would be moving it to Indy. It wouldn't be just one railroad, it would involve 2, NS and CSX. Might get pricey for a weeks worth of work.
It was a few thousand $ for NS to drag it over to Piqua, I can't imagine how much it'd be to get to Indy.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:42 am

well if itm really wants steam maybe they can pay for half, but to correct myself the state fair is about 2 weeks long. imagine all the great photo opps. or for that matter how much would it be to use some of there passenger cars up here, i would love to see it in action. wishful thinking guess. :)
8v71

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:23 pm

I look for info on the 765 here almost every day.
I am kind of surprised that FWRHS does not have a message board on their site for "Inside information" (at least for members)
I certainly is a shame that such a nice operating engine has no where to go/nothing to do. :(
And I imagine that it is not from a standpoint that they don't want to NOT run the train, but securing a location.

"BUT" I'd like for them to at least "throw us a bone" :wink:

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:07 pm

wheeler wrote:I look for info on the 765 here almost every day.
I am kind of surprised that FWRHS does not have a message board on their site for "Inside information" (at least for members)
I certainly is a shame that such a nice operating engine has no where to go/nothing to do. :(
And I imagine that it is not from a standpoint that they don't want to NOT run the train, but securing a location.

"BUT" I'd like for them to at least "throw us a bone" :wink:
Wheeler I think you hit the nail on the head. The market for these nice steamers is smaller by the day. No where to run so how many museums are going to waste money on doing a full restoration.
Its all about the cost of operation. Insurance is bad enough, but now add in the extra cost of moving it to the railroad you want to operate on and then the normal cost of operations.

Seems to me, unless you have your own railroad, its pretty prohibitive to even think about running a steam train anymore. Especially one the size of the Berk's or C&O K4's.

Perhaps the HVRM at North Judson could let it run there, but NS would again have to move it, unless the CFWE built a connection, also assuming the NS gets it connection built.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:05 pm

CIOR- thanks for your comments.
Strangely enough I was thinking of the North Judson trackage the other day. It as almost as if "we"/they need a mini "steamtown" where all of the groups(in Indiana) could run their machinery.
Of course, volunteers will be limited by travel distances, and some will feel "used" or "left out" if "THEIR" club or society has/does merge with another.
All of these points I understand.
I am not claiming to have a wonderful answer to this complex situation, but am happy to discuss ideas here :wink:

It is indeed sad that all of the time,energy, and money spent to restore this engine leaves it as a "white elephant" :cry:
I am hoping to take my kids on a ride on it before they are too old to be interested in such things.
Most certainly the FWRHS never thought the business climate of RR's would turn so bleak. (as the restoration was going forward)

Yes- I am a FWRHS member, and do volunteer there.
yes- I do support "Hobby" railroads by paying to ride their trains.

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:11 pm

Got it! :D
NS to St Joe, get onto the CSX there
CSX to Wellsbro, interchange there
get onto ??? to Lacross, go thru the WYE there, and into North Judson!
Quick, easy, pack your stuff and set a date :D

That would only cost like 80 million dollars, and I don't have that kind of change :cry:
But it would be a heck of a trip!

rooyfletcher
Veteran

Post by rooyfletcher » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:17 pm

Where is the engine at the moment?

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:37 pm

rooyfletcher wrote:Where is the engine at the moment?
It is at (Home) Train Town in New Haven. :)