boneyards

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

dbrackin7
Veteran

boneyards

Post by dbrackin7 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:27 am

did anyone catch the hstory channel's show boneyards: railroads. They visited the amtrak facility in beach grove indiana. and they also video taped the destruction of a scrapper vs. a montana rail link loco, kinda depressing.
8v71

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:01 pm

YES, THE BEECH GROVE FACILITY IS SOMETHING TO BEHOLD. TO THINK THOSE CRANES WERE BUILT IN THE EARLY 1900'S AND STILL IN USE. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE WAS THE BIG MOUTH EX SHERIFF THAT DIDN'T RESEARCH WHAT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT. (QUOTE) YOU DON'T STOP A 400,000 TON TRAIN VERY QUICK. MUCH BIGGER THAN ANY I EVER DISPATCHED, ANYWAY. ALL IN ALL A NEAT PROGRAM.

KEITH

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:29 am

I have a friend that works there Ive tried for years to get a tour but nothings come of it. Yet when they usually have open houses He gets me some shirts, pins and a hard hat. Although cool still no substitute for a tour but it will do. The wrecked genisis locos they showed are still laying on the ground they have laid there for many years now.
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:46 am

There was a web-site a few years ago that used video footage from Beach Grove that claimed it was "a secret government prison". The boneyard program didn't show anything that could be construed as a prison. I did have to laugh when one Amtrak guy said a P42 weighed 27,000 pounds. I think he slipped a decimal point. :)

I'm still puzzled about how TTI in Pueblo is a boneyard. It is a state-of-the-art testing facility. :? Maybe the producer needed fill material to make an hour program. :wink:
rrnut282
(Mike)

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:35 am

Something more interesting how about the railcar that a few years back disapeared from beech grove facility. Supposedly it had the midas touch, gold everywhere, and the buyer backed out and as soon as the buyer backed out it disapeared. Ive heard various beech grove workers say someone probably pushed it into a tunnel and removed all the gold. The problem with this I havnt seen any tunnels around indy area. :shock: or maybe there are...
8v71

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:33 pm

dbrackin7 wrote:Something more interesting how about the railcar that a few years back disapeared from beech grove facility. Supposedly it had the midas touch, gold everywhere, and the buyer backed out and as soon as the buyer backed out it disapeared. Ive heard various beech grove workers say someone probably pushed it into a tunnel and removed all the gold. The problem with this I havnt seen any tunnels around indy area. :shock: or maybe there are...
Maybe he meant the subway tunnels in Cincinnati.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:29 pm

very well could have been yet how hard is it to sneek a 80ft car from indiana to ohio?
8v71