itm

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

dbrackin7
Veteran

itm

Post by dbrackin7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Did indiana transportation museum get rid of the pair of f units they had always used. I haven't seen the photos on there website nor do they mention them in there roster, actually they don't mention a lot of equipment they have in their roster. Are they gone and where did they go.
8v71

Kameron Smith

Post by Kameron Smith » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:34 pm

ITM 83 and 96 are still on the property. 96 suffered a major flywheel failure several years ago and has been inactive since. 83 serves as a backup engine when one of the Geeps is out of service although they don't like to use it much since it's really ratty looking but it is in good working order though. They are now in the process of restoring the third F7 they aquired in the 80's, former Milwaukee Road no. 72. All three are from the Milwaukee road but 83 and 96 are painted in Monon IU scheme. Rumor has it they'll paint 72 in original Milwaukee colors.

Kameron Smith
ITM member

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:27 pm

I was fortunate enough to have a cab ride in one of the f7 before they pulled them from service, by luck I was able to ride the f unit I believe it was the week of the fairtrain when the steam engine broke a rod or piston. It was a great day for me I was only 10 or so. :wink:
8v71

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:34 pm

and on a sidenote, it would be great if the website included all of the locos and cars contained at the museum, instead of the cars that are in service. Also Near indianapolis where the 84 lumber yard is located off I-69. What happened to the passenger cars that where on the siding? I know that the siding no longer exist due to new buidlings taking up the land. Yet I would like to know if the passenger cars are still alive and not in a scrap heap?
8v71

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:01 pm

I read that itm received money for trips through hamilton county, I admire the achievement of the museum. I also think it would be great if they had an enclosed shop or display building. I wish it was more known, the only time you hear about the fair train for instance is when there is a collision between some idiot and the locomotive. Which amazes me because its not like a speeding train, it is far from a fast mover. How could you not see a couple hundred tons rolling in your direction.
8v71

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:46 am

Perhaps you could get far more answers on the indiananrailroads.org forum.
There are a few members of ITM on there that know alot of the scoop.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

D.L.
Veteran

Fair train, not so fair

Post by D.L. » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:48 pm

:cry: Reports are that ridership is down this year. Anyone plan on going down there, or have been down there that can give us the scoop on what is going on?

Kameron Smith

Fair Train

Post by Kameron Smith » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:54 pm

Ridership is way down from last year. The extreme heat probably has a lot to do with this. For example, on the first Saturday of the fair in '06 the morning runs were packed with all seats filled and people standing in the aisles. This year everybody had a seat and a lot of seats went unfilled. Hopefully the weather will cool down a bit before Sunday so we get a decent ridership for the year as the Fair Train is our biggest money maker of the year.

Kameron Smith
ITM member

D.L.
Veteran

A sad affair

Post by D.L. » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:14 pm

Sorry to hear the dissappointing news. Thanks for letting us know up here in the cool north. Not good for ITM. See, when you take away the really great food, they just won't come! :lol: