New Castle district

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:47 pm

Amen brother.
I spend a lot less time on the trains.com forum just for that reason. They spend so much time pissing and moaning semantics that you can't see where they're talking about trains anymore. That's why I try to phrase my responses with "I think/thought..." so that there is room for disagreement/discussion/correction. I'm on here to increase and/or share my knowledge not to boost my ego.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Re: I knew it would happen

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:25 pm

Indianadon wrote: But as soon as I said they doubled the hill at Hagerstown then came the reply "they never doubled the hill, might have crawed up it a few times." But you were wrong, weren't you? Here we have a member of a train crew that said he doubled the hill not once but twice. .

UM, for what it's worth, as a neutral observer. I think that there may be a misunderstanding brewing here.

When Wayne Gest said "never double haggerstown" I interpreted him to mean that he personally had never done it.. but did not mean that "no one ever has"...

Seems like when he said HE never had, you took that as he was saying someone had lied to you.

none of my business really, but it looks like hard feelings are being formed for no good reason

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:02 pm

Hang around rail-related forums for a while and see how many posters get flamed for expressing an different opinion or suggesting something new. Watch how they get corrected if they happen to get the facts incorrect. Then see if you still feel that way.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:33 pm

8) Gang, I would like to think that we can keep this forum friendly and a little less argumentitive (sp?) than some of the train and auto racing forums I visit. I know that some of us here are very passionate about or hobby or profession, but I feel like we are all a little family here at FWRF, and I hope that even when we disagree, we can keep it civil. I've learned over the years that tone can mean everything, and you have to be EXTRA careful when a person can't hear your voice or see your face. Lets keep Fort Wayne Railfan an oasis of civility in an often uncivil world! OK, I'm off my soapbox now.
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:41 pm

rrnut282 wrote:Hang around rail-related forums for a while and see how many posters get flamed for expressing an different opinion or suggesting something new. Watch how they get corrected if they happen to get the facts incorrect. Then see if you still feel that way.
Yeah, "everybody has a bad side" I know. And it tends to come out real easy on the net, because, well....the comfort of not having to worry about getting a lip split open , etc.

But I just didn't see the one guy's comment as being as negative as it ended up being taken. It really seemed to me he was saying "well, I never have doubled that hill"

I guess I should just stay out if it..... :?

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:31 am

Miss out for a few days and come back and find all of this?!?!

I said ""I" have never doubled the hill at Hagerstown". Me. Then I went on to say that I once doubled it going east. Then, I mistakenly posted as a guest a few days later and stated that they weren't liars but I failed to notice until it was all done that I hadn't posted under my name and I just left it at that. And I also said that I personally had had more trouble with the hill climbing east out of Richmond. Again, that's me and my personal experiences which are many and varied, have some longevity, and are ongoing, because I'm not finished yet. That doesn't make me the worlds' expert but I think it makes me pretty daggone knowledgeable. I have no wish to engage in silly internet controversies, I find this board of great interest and thank Steve for taking it on.

And yes, before it was built, I knew it was going to be a insane place to build a passing track and we've still never gotten what was going to be a fourth pass on the north end at Bluffton and PROBABLY never will.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:32 am

I guess I worded my reply too strongly. I was only trying to say it looked like we might be headed that way(flaming and other less civil discussions), not that we were already there. My apologies. I was trying to point out that sometimes people take offense to what someone else posted whether it was intended or not. This is what I was trying to avoid and instead I helped to precipitate it. :oops:

The other posters (Bob and guest) are right let's all try to keep it civil and focused on railroading and not get sidetracked (pun intended) into politics and such.
Last edited by rrnut282 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
rrnut282
(Mike)

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:38 am

Wayne,
you might get that passing siding in Bluffton after all. Plans are afoot to build a 100,000,000 gal/yr ethanol plant at the south end of Bluffton (around MP CF161.5 +/-). If it gets built, don't you think there is a good chance that the sidings built to service it would include a passing track. On second thought, you're probably right, Atlanta will consider the existing yard tracks in Bluffton sufficient to serve that new industry. :cry:
rrnut282
(Mike)

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:52 pm

BACK TO ORIGINAL POSTS. ONLY RAILROAD EMPLOYEES UNDERSTAND THE "POLITICS" AND "MAKE ME LOOK GOOD" TACTICS THAT ARE IMPLEMENTED ON A DAILY BASIS IN RAILROADING. IF A TRAIN IS SCHEDULED TO BE CALLED AT A CERTAIN TIME, MOST WERE, WHETHER THE CONSIST WAS READY OR NOT. FORT WAYNE GOT TRAINS OUT OF ELKHART YARD WITH LESS THAN ONE HOUR TO WORK, BUT THE YARDMASTER CALLED THE TRAIN ON TIME. THE SAME WENT FOR POWER WHETHER IT RAN OR NOT. USUALLY THE CREW WOULD CALL THE DISPATCHER WITH SUCH INFO. AS A DISPATCHER YOU WOULD START LOOKING FOR SOMPLACE TO (STEAL) POWER WHEN NEEDED. ON THE MICHIGAN (MARION) BRANCH IT WAS USUALLY NEEDED GETTING OUT OF WABASH. SOMETIMES IT WAS SIDE TRACK A TRAIN AND CUT OFF THE POWER TO GO ASSIST, WHICH WAS A PENALTY TIME CLAIM, BUT THE YARDMASTER GOT HIS JOB DONE ON TIME.

I WILL GET OFF MY SOAPBOX NOW, TOO.

KEITH

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:53 pm

Dave M. wrote: Don't know how you made it that far with a 4100, 5000 tons is better than double the rating for that old goat must have had another engine
This was our point! We crawled everywhere and only made speed once we got to the west end of Campbellstown. This is why we were so close to dead upon reaching Hagerstown. JCM wanted us to make it to Millville, but I believe another "hotter" train 263 perhaps IIRC running late was coming past Muncie. He then wouldn't take us to Millville until whatever train it was passed. Then he turned us loose. MISTAKE.
Between Seven-Mile and Eaton,OH it was slow and that was at best.
Richmond was downhill and Greensfork was already moving along and didn't create a problem so to speak. still slowed in every dip.

It almost always seemed that train in the pass at Richmond had the biggest issue there. However a Engineer out of Frankfort once throttled out of a grain train about the lumber yard and stalled it. :roll:

rrnut282
Veteran

upcoming work

Post by rrnut282 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:19 pm

Fri 02/24/2006....Bluffton
Engine 5001 was in the siding (transfer track) in Bluffton with a caboose and 12 tie gondolas with a excavator crawling along the tops of the ties to toss them out. If I were a gambler, I'd say there was a tie replacement gang scheduled this way soon.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Re: upcoming work

Post by CIOR » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:27 pm

rrnut282 wrote:Fri 02/24/2006....Bluffton
Engine 5001 was in the siding (transfer track) in Bluffton with a caboose and 12 tie gondolas with a excavator crawling along the tops of the ties to toss them out. If I were a gambler, I'd say there was a tie replacement gang scheduled this way soon.
Don't gamble. An IMC engineer once thought the same thing, then the N&W sold the line and most of the ties on the south end of the line became landscape timbers for new homes around the area! :?

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:29 am

I did say IF I WERE..... :wink:

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:36 am

I've been around the tracks long enough to know not to count on anything. :lol:
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:20 pm

I had to chuckle when I watched the Neff video on the NCD. Its mostly shot around 97-99'ish. There are alot of shots from Campbellstown to around Muncie. Shows a few of the nice sized 444/443 of that time period.