New Castle district

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

jett37
Veteran

Re: 444

Postby jett37 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Indianadon wrote:I knew 444 was in trouble when started running the leased Amtrack units in the consist. Am I right in that 444 used to be so long that they had trouble finding a siding to fit in for a meet. Couldn't 444 reach ten thousand feet at times? Does anyone remember the semaphore that still guarded the Conrail crossing at Walnut street for a few years after the rebuilding?

"Does anyone remember the semaphore that still guarded the Conrail crossing at Walnut street for a few years after the rebuilding?"

I remember the semaphore and and recall a slide I have of an N&W RS36
passing the signal going to oakville to pick up grain cars. I may have others but would have to search. :shock:

rrnut282
Veteran

Postby rrnut282 » Thu May 11, 2006 8:55 am

According to the Trains Magazine website there was another derailment on the curve in Muncie.
http://www.trains.com/community/forum/t ... C_ID=65014

Trains seem to be moving again as I think I heard 4 go by this morining.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Postby CIOR » Thu May 11, 2006 7:35 pm

Train derailed right on Gavin St, actually more on the switch there, right at the start of the curve at Bath and Muncie East Yard. From the looks of it, the curve had little to do with it, since the cars fell toward the nursing home. If it was string lining, like the Triple Crown and 444 derailments, it would have pulled to the south side of the rail.

Postby Guest » Tue May 16, 2006 10:00 am

rrnut282,

Since you live down that way, how much of the old Cloverleaf is still in service to either side of the NCD in Bluffton?

Kameron Smith

Postby Kameron Smith » Tue May 16, 2006 2:30 pm

The former cloverleaf out of Blufton is operated by Wabash Central and is in service from Craigville through Blufton to Van Buren.

rrnut282
Veteran

Postby rrnut282 » Wed May 17, 2006 10:44 am

The rails have been pulled up east of Craigville. Helena Chemical (fertilizer) is the only customer left East of Bluffton. Wabash Central has to get permission to travel about 1000feet on the NCD Main in Bluffton to get from the yard (ex Cloverleaf) to the eastward segment. I'm not sure what's left in Ohio.

West of Bluffton, Wabash Central takes lots of hoppers to the elevator in Warren and popcorn (again in covered hoppers) to Van Buren. The rails are still in West of there at least to Marion, maybe to Frankfort. Bring a chain saw if you want to run on the rails though. I believe it's been pulled West of Frankfort, also.
rrnut282

(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Postby Hotbox » Wed May 17, 2006 11:32 am

rrnut282 wrote: Bring a chain saw if you want to run on the rails though. .

LOL, I get the picture. :)

So then, if one is driving Hwy 124 headed west from Bluffton, Right after the new "baypass" rejoins the original routing, if you look to the left (south) there is a big "grain elevator looking" set of silos, but it looks like these are actually part of a factory.

It appears to be a good mile south of 124 and didn't have time for a closer look, but I'm guessing this facility is on the cloverleaf, since it's too far west to be on the NCD.

What is this facility :?:

rrnut282
Veteran

Postby rrnut282 » Wed May 17, 2006 8:21 pm

:idea: Just in case I'm wrong, I'll list all of the industries. As you head west (west southwest) on the Cloverleaf from the NCD you will pass Fremont, a tomato processing plant now closed. Red Gold still uses the warehouse part, but no longer ships product by rail. Next is Buckhorn (formerly BAIC or MixMill) a manufacturer of plastic shipping containers, they get pellets in, ship out by truck :( (as far as I can tell). Then there is Mooreman's a maker of animal feed. Their building looks just like a grain elevator, so this may be what you were looking for. Next up is Peyton's (the largest building under roof in northeast Indiana) where I worked for a short time. They used to recieve some stuff by rail, but I haven't seen any cars on their siding in a long time. Then as you get farther out of town you come to the former Corning Plant where twenty-five years ago they made TV tubes. It has two sand silos and that might be what you were asking about. Now Peyton's uses the warehouse side of the building for overflow storage.

It's sad to think NKP Berkshires used to run up and down this line. The loss of on-line traffic seems to be more recent.
rrnut282

(Mike)

Postby Guest » Wed May 17, 2006 10:07 pm

rrnut282 wrote::idea: Just in case I'm wrong, I'll list all of the industries. As you head west (west southwest) on the Cloverleaf from the NCD you will pass Fremont, a tomato processing plant now closed. Red Gold still uses the warehouse part, but no longer ships product by rail. Next is Buckhorn (formerly BAIC or MixMill) a manufacturer of plastic shipping containers, they get pellets in, ship out by truck :( (as far as I can tell). Then there is Mooreman's a maker of animal feed. Their building looks just like a grain elevator, so this may be what you were looking for. Next up is Peyton's (the largest building under roof in northeast Indiana) where I worked for a short time. They used to recieve some stuff by rail, but I haven't seen any cars on their siding in a long time. Then as you get farther out of town you come to the former Corning Plant where twenty-five years ago they made TV tubes. It has two sand silos and that might be what you were asking about. Now Peyton's uses the warehouse side of the building for overflow storage.

It's sad to think NKP Berkshires used to run up and down this line. The loss of on-line traffic seems to be more recent.

OK, thanks very much.

So then, all of those industries are either served primarily by truck OR those still being served by rail are served directly by Wabash central, who in turn exchanges with NS New castle District at Bluffton. Am I correct to assume that NS only serves that exchange with a local?

Meaning that those "plastic pellets" for Buckhorn have to first get dropped off at east Wayne Yard, then a NS local runs them down to Bluffton, sets them off for Wabash central to pick up, and make the final delivery? Is that pretty much what works these days?

H'mmmmm...interesting.

Kameron Smith

Postby Kameron Smith » Thu May 18, 2006 2:37 pm

rrnut282 wrote::

Berkshires were never used on the east end of the cloverleaf. Bridge restrictions and the curve at Delphos were responsible for that. They were however used west of Frankfort to St. Louis.

Eric in St Joe
Regular

Postby Eric in St Joe » Fri May 19, 2006 10:47 pm

The CL was removed west of Frankfort around 1990/91 or so.. I think this part of the lines was at one time, before NS removed it, going to be a shortline.. Its too bad its gone now but it just didnt have much online buisness between Frankfort and the Ind.Ill border. Most of the towns were too dinky to fully support a rail line. An interesting sidenote; the old CL passed through New Richmond which was one of the towns used in the filming of the movie "Hoosiers". In fact up until a few years ago they had a "Hoosiers fest" each year.... :D
KC9GUZ

Support ham radio.

rrnut282
Veteran

Postby rrnut282 » Sun May 21, 2006 12:47 pm

Kameron Smith wrote:
rrnut282 wrote::

Berkshires were never used on the east end of the cloverleaf. Bridge restrictions and the curve at Delphos were responsible for that. They were however used west of Frankfort to St. Louis.

I thought I read somewhere that they did come this way. I wasn't around back then, so I can't be certain.
rrnut282

(Mike)

rrnut282
Veteran

Postby rrnut282 » Sun May 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:
rrnut282 wrote::idea: Just in case I'm wrong, I'll list all of the industries. As you head west (west southwest) on the Cloverleaf from the NCD you will pass Fremont, a tomato processing plant now closed. Red Gold still uses the warehouse part, but no longer ships product by rail. Next is Buckhorn (formerly BAIC or MixMill) a manufacturer of plastic shipping containers, they get pellets in, ship out by truck :( (as far as I can tell). Then there is Mooreman's a maker of animal feed. Their building looks just like a grain elevator, so this may be what you were looking for. Next up is Peyton's (the largest building under roof in northeast Indiana) where I worked for a short time. They used to recieve some stuff by rail, but I haven't seen any cars on their siding in a long time. Then as you get farther out of town you come to the former Corning Plant where twenty-five years ago they made TV tubes. It has two sand silos and that might be what you were asking about. Now Peyton's uses the warehouse side of the building for overflow storage.

OK, thanks very much.

So then, all of those industries are either served primarily by truck OR those still being served by rail are served directly by Wabash central, who in turn exchanges with NS New castle District at Bluffton. Am I correct to assume that NS only serves that exchange with a local?

Meaning that those "plastic pellets" for Buckhorn have to first get dropped off at east Wayne Yard, then a NS local runs them down to Bluffton, sets them off for Wabash central to pick up, and make the final delivery? Is that pretty much what works these days?

It works that way for cars to Craigville, Warren or Van Buren. The locals (L68/L69 come out of Muncie, not Fort Wayne, so the cars may actually go down on 313 for the locals to bring them back). I'm not around in the daytime to see what happens to cars for Buckhorn. It's possible that the locals wander down the line and deliver them themselves, if they have the time, otherwise Wabash Central gets the honors.
rrnut282

(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Postby Hotbox » Sun May 21, 2006 4:58 pm

rrnut282 wrote:
It works that way for cars to Craigville, Warren or Van Buren. The locals (L68/L69 come out of Muncie, not Fort Wayne, so the cars may actually go down on 313 for the locals to bring them back). I'm not around in the daytime to see what happens to cars for Buckhorn. It's possible that the locals wander down the line and deliver them themselves, if they have the time, otherwise Wabash Central gets the honors.

OK thanks!!

If you know, where are the break points for the local districts?

For instance, does the Muncie "local" exclusively tend Baer field yard, or is that based from Fort Wayne? Same for the Huntington/ Detroit districts, where is the break points for those locals, (Peru vs ___?) and the Chicago/Fostoria districts, same question.

For some reason I had a mental picture that since East Wayne and Wabash yards were together with a dispatching center, that the locals for all those lines would be based here, now I'm starting to suspect that assumption was wrong on my part.

And I'm a tad curious now, just what the deal really is.

CIOR
Veteran

Postby CIOR » Sun May 21, 2006 10:41 pm

before a change in leadership, the L80 use to be based out of East Wayne and worked to Muncie (normally Montpelier siding) and turned back. When business got better, they added in a L88, a relief job for the L80 and it turned back.
Now they have changed things and L68/69 work the line, based out of Muncie.

Return to “General Discussion”