Casad Depot

Here's the place to just kick back and discuss pretty much anything under the sun.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: Casad Depot

Post by cjberndt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 am

Someone posted here that there were two switchers at Casad in 1969. Does anyone know when Casad stopped using rail? The last of the stockpiled materials were shipped out in 2011, but I don't know if any was shipped by rail.

Clarifying some things posted above:

The United States Army's Casad Ordnance Depot was opened in Oct. 1942 but not named until April 1943. It was named after Col. Adam Floy Casad of Delphi, Indiana. He was the Army’s Deputy Chief of Ordnance in Europe during World War I. He passed away in 1927.

The US purchased the real estate on which Casad was built from families named Richard and McIntosh. The US purchased all of the land bounded by the Nickel Plate, Webster, Edgerton and Ryan Rds., 623 acres, but only used about 350 acres. It had more than 3,000,000 sq. ft. of ground-level indoor and outdoor storage, and about 22 miles of track.

Casad was manned during WWII by 14 Army officers and 700-1,100 civilians. Camp Scott started receiving German POWs Nov. 1, 1944, and eventually held 600. Some of them loaded and unloaded railcars at Casad.

During WWII, rail power included at least two 0-6-0, one GE 45-ton, two GE 65-ton and two GE 80-ton switchers. I couldn't find anything about the steamers. The GEs were built between April 1942 and August 1943.

Sept. 11, 1945, about one week after the Japanese armistice, the Army redesignated Casad from ordnance to general storage. The Army stopped operating it at some point, probably 1947, and it was renamed New Haven Depot.

Craig