New train symbols?

New train symbols, routings, reroutes and such.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

caylorman
Veteran

New train symbols?

Post by caylorman » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:32 am

Group,
Over the past month or so, I have occasionally heard some new train symbols, two of those on the CF&E, and one by the NS (didn't see which district).

On the CF&E, I've heard trains GRHA and GRCL. The GRHA I'm thinking may be the CSX grain train to Hamlet, as I heard it having a CSX leader. The GRCL was coming east back into the city the other night, and I didn't catch what it's leader was, but heard it call on the radio for entering Piqua Yard. Can anyone confirm origination-destination points?

Also, I heard the strange symbol SW-6 one night by one of the NS dispatchers. It was called a couple times. Anyone have an idea what this is?

Thanks,
E.J.

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: New train symbols?

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Was it Saturday night? I heard a CF&E grain train with CSX 8741 and 8773 getting a permit to east toward Crestline with 68 loads and 8900 tons or so. CL could be Crestline, OH.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:45 pm

I also say the GRHA one evening about 9pm or so coming west into Piqua yard at Meyer Rd. It was indeed a CSX grain train. If I saw it heading west at Piqua, then how would Mike have heard it heading east, if it had the same origin? Hmm, perhaps the origin was on CSX somewhere, not where it got on CF&E, but that still doesn't explain the same origin on both trains. Where was it at when you heard it Mike?
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

caylorman
Veteran

Post by caylorman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 am

OK, this is starting to make sense. The train I heard first was GRHA, a westbound with the CSX leader. The train I heard last was GRCL, heading east, but I didn't hear what it's leader was. Sounds like CF&E is just calling the CSX trains that run out to the elevator in Hamlet the GRHA (Grain-Hamlet) and GRCL (Grain-Crestline). Since it's another line's train, they just come up with some determining name for it, that doesn't necessarily have to follow it's own naming scheme. Kinda like when Conrail used DET-# for detouring trains.

E.J.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm

Greg46m wrote:I also say the GRHA one evening about 9pm or so coming west into Piqua yard at Meyer Rd. It was indeed a CSX grain train. If I saw it heading west at Piqua, then how would Mike have heard it heading east, if it had the same origin? Hmm, perhaps the origin was on CSX somewhere, not where it got on CF&E, but that still doesn't explain the same origin on both trains. Where was it at when you heard it Mike?
I've slept since then and I don't have my logbook with me, but I heard it call "SAND" and "JCT" before getting the permit. I was on my way home from Sturgis, but I can't remember if it was before or after my daughter's game at 6pm.
rrnut282
(Mike)