No Wonder this Place is Dead

Have a suggestion for the website? A contribution to make? Feedback? We want to hear from you!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

No Wonder this Place is Dead

Post by Hotbox » Wed May 25, 2022 12:25 pm

I'm still being denied when trying to post from my home via direct route or through a proxy, by the "Spamhaus" feature claiming that my ISP is "blacklisted"

For the record, I browse all over the internet, post in dozens of online communities...regularly. And this is the only place where I experience such a problem

Odd that a place with virtually no activity, is blocking would-be participants.

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: No Wonder this Place is Dead

Post by Notch 8 » Tue May 31, 2022 7:22 am

Hotbox wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:25 pm
I'm still being denied when trying to post from my home via direct route or through a proxy, by the "Spamhaus" feature claiming that my ISP is "blacklisted"

For the record, I browse all over the internet, post in dozens of online communities...regularly. And this is the only place where I experience such a problem

Odd that a place with virtually no activity, is blocking would-be participants.
The Spamhaus blocked me as well.. I switched over to Starlink which gave me a new IP address and I was able to post again.. agreed, it is frustrating!

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:12 am

I still get blocked by Spamhaus far more often than I manage to get through.

Just because if "fails" to screw things up one day does not mean it's fixed. Something more permanent should be done.

Just an observation, if the person currently responsible for this site has no clue who "Spamhaus" is, and how to kill it. I recall back in like the early-mid 2000's this forum was getting hit by real spammers...and greg did something to block them.

Is it possible that greg set up the original arrangement with Spamhaus....and it has just run out of control? Perhaps if someone were to contact greg he might know how to pull the plug?

You wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through just to evade Spamhaus's blockers just to post this.

Someone find a silver spike and drive it through Spamhaus's heart. :twisted:

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:36 am

test day 23

success! I can re-set the counter.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 pm

rrnut282 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:36 am
test day 23

success! I can re-set the counter.
Wow, that's a cryptic statement. Does that mean you tried 23 days in a row, and spamhaus had you blocked all the time?

I'm still blocked through my main address, and am using this bypass proxy, at least until spamhaus "learns" to block it too

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 pm

I'm simply posting to see if I can. This site, sadly, is nearly as dead as the Indianarailroads site, which the administrator says he's going to get back up when he finds the time. One might speculate that not much happens out of the way in Northeast Indiana these days and with the loss of the dispatchers and much of what went on out at East Wayne, it's become very much a lack of interest scene. Also, some of those who posted seem to have disappeared (or worse) and the fellow who ran it left Fort Wayne quite some time ago. Therefore. . .a slowly dying site?

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 pm

OK, that posted when I used the Firefox browser but I got the Spamhaus block when I used Safari, which is what I use the most. Interesting to know.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:00 pm

Does anyone have a tombstone?

zuluwiz
Veteran

Post by zuluwiz » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:57 pm

What do you want on yer tombstone?

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:09 pm

Wayne Gest wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:34 pm
One might speculate that not much happens out of the way in Northeast Indiana these days and with the loss of the dispatchers and much of what went on out at East Wayne, it's become very much a lack of interest scene. Also, some of those who posted seem to have disappeared (or worse) and the fellow who ran it left Fort Wayne quite some time ago. Therefore. . .a slowly dying site?
Sad that everything you day here is true. Lots of things have changed the last few years. I had thought this site changed hands, to where one of the guys with FWRHS had taken the reins? Perhaps the City of Ft Wayne's lack of enthusiasm for HJ has dampened what once might have been envisioned as a role for this site?

Regarding Spamhaus, it's remarkable to me how I can get through one day, and then get shut completely out for 20-30 days in a row...no matter which browser I use Chrome, Firefox, or Konqueror....

It's too bad, because even if this site could become something once again, it's never gonna happen with potential users getting "railroaded" by the evil Spamhaus sentry blocking the gate :twisted:
Last edited by Hotbox on Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:11 pm

Hooo Boyyy!! I got through!! Never know until I hit the "submit" key if all my typing is gonna be wasted or not.