This Thread Is Now 19 Months Old

Have a suggestion for the website? A contribution to make? Feedback? We want to hear from you!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Mark
Veteran

This Thread Is Now 19 Months Old

Post by Mark » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:34 pm

Toot Toot.
Last edited by Mark on Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:19 pm

Problem solved. The FWA logo on the top-left now links back to the main site.

D.L.

Holidat weekend

Post by D.L. » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:14 pm

Mark, I know that this Resurrection Sunday will mean more to you since you just lost your dad. I am looking forward to the final run of the "glory train", so I can see my parents once again as well. I would like to wish all of those out there on this board a blessed holiday weekend. May you see lots of trains out there and enjoy yourselves!

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Thanks Doug.

I was at NE today for 1st. time in a long while.
This unit was added to NS 34N this afternoon
as 3rd engine. Only notable thing is it's number
boards.

Mark
Attachments
IMG_1647_1_1.JPG
IMG_1647_1_1.JPG (249.28 KiB) Viewed 13357 times

D.L.
Veteran

Getting RID of the clutter on these categories

Post by D.L. » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:04 pm

I don't care for the clutter @ the top of several of these categories. Of note is the Gen Discussion page that has those 2 annoying announcements. Is there any way to get rid of that clutter??? It is very distracting when you are going to read the new postings. Same w/the sticky thing @ the top of this category. If they are current-no problem. But most of them are stale and have sat there for weeks. TIA!

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:33 pm

When you're on the log-in page, why don't you click the blue underlined link over on the right-hand side of the page that says "view posts since last visit"? Then you only have to look at a page with those topics where someone has replied while you were away. It saves a lot of searching for post dates and time of posting.
rrnut282
(Mike)

D.L.
Veteran

Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated....

Post by D.L. » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:20 pm

:( Thank you for not killing this board. :?: Can non-members now post anywhere, or have we become an exclusive gentleman's club???

P.S. Recently I saw on Trainorders board a discussion that railfans are becoming extinct. In other words, we are not getting any youth into our hobby. Supposedly, we are becoming a group of crothedy ole men. Do any of you out there who participate in railfanning have any comments on this subject? Are we in a dying hobby? I would appreciate any feedback from any of you who would like to comment on this topic. :wink:
I turned "silver" this year, and am very concerned about the future of our hobby, i.e., I would like to see railfanning go on for a long time.

Michael Meisener

Re: Rumors of my death are greatly exaggerated....

Post by Michael Meisener » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:57 pm

DL - If you call Railfanning WDB then yes it is a dying hobby. But to open this up to non members then you will go back to all of the spam. I do not see why younger members can not register for this site. I see nothing harmful for the younger viewers. With the spam gone we are not getting links to all of the XXX sites

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:31 pm

D.L., I remember the TO post you're talking about and it had a lot of good responses to it. It mentioned that magazine subscriptions are declining, but if you think about it, how many railfan sites are out there. Add up all the registered users, sorting out all the same people on various sites, and I'll bet the number is WELL into the millions.

As for the board spam, that is pretty much gone and I hate to open any forums back up which will allow the filth back in. If you noticed, a few weeks ago I took off the line towards the bottom of the board's main page that has the name of the newest registered user, which usually had spam names. This closed the last hole that spammers could get their name on. They still come to the site though. Lately I've been getting on about every 3 or 4 days to delete their registrations. Lately it's been about 100-150 I delete at a time.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:52 am

And yet you still find time to upgrade the site every once in a while!

My hat is off to you.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:57 pm

Haha Mike, not really. If you notice the homepage hasn't changed in over a year now :)

My latest project has been a website for my hotel that I've been working on. http://www.ftwayneinn.com
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:08 pm

im 21 does that count as old, I dont feel old :) For the most, people my age look at trains as the thing that just blocks traffic. Even my girlfriend thinks im nuts for loving trains. Which is pretty sad, the only people my age who showed any interest in trains would be my college diesel grads. Actually kcs, up and i believe bnsf all recruited at one point at lincoln tech or lincoln college of technology(new name) its offically a college now.
8v71

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:52 pm

GREG, JUST KEEP ON COOKING THOSE RIBEYES. THAT WILL BE MY FIRST STOP AND A FEW MORE THE NEXT TRIP UP THERE.

KEITH

rooyfletcher
Veteran

Post by rooyfletcher » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:14 pm

I'm 14, so its not completly dying for young people

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:12 pm

rooyfletcher wrote:I'm 14, so its not completly dying for young people
The only place I have seen "Rooy", other than here. is on
a old Chicago area railroads map in Uno's grill on Stellhorn
Rd. , Ft. Wayne. It is a misspelling of Roby, which is or was
a place name on the IL.-In. boarder on PRR.

So how did you get your handle?

Thanks

Mark

This thread is almost as old as Keith.