Subject matter on posts

Have a suggestion for the website? A contribution to make? Feedback? We want to hear from you!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

D.L.

Subject matter on posts

Post by D.L. » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:07 pm

Greg, Thanks for allowing us the privilege of using this board. I am concerned about the postings lately that have NOT been RR related to FWA topics. Could you do us all a favor and remind everyone that this is not a place to air your "sales pitches" or a political blog. (See under local news and gen. topics.) These posts are wasting my time. I would greatly appreciate it. Ft. Wayne has a great RR heritage. Lets don't spoil this board w/unnecessary info that doesn't add to the enjoyment of our hobby. Thanks for your consideration of my request. D.L.

D.L.

Pests

Post by D.L. » Sat May 13, 2006 4:24 pm

Note to Greg: the "spam idiots" as Michael M. calls them, are back w/us!

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sat May 13, 2006 5:18 pm

D.L.-
I take it you are referring to the two completely off-topic posts? I deleted those and will delete the users here in a minute. I can add whatever I like, even threaten with lawsuites, and it won't really stop them. The security feature when you sign up that requires you to enter the code message helps a lot, but some still get through however. It's really just a fact of life we'll have to live with. I do make sure to delete them as quickly as possible when I see them. I'll try to come up with something though.

Funitsforever
Veteran

Post by Funitsforever » Sat May 13, 2006 8:11 pm

as long as people can post without having to log in you wont be able to stop it.
Also registrations need to be approved by the moderator.

Chaser
Veteran

subject matter

Post by Chaser » Sun May 14, 2006 8:27 am

Greg maybe you could give someone you trust the ability to also remove questionable subject matter and the spammers from the web site

just a thought chad ( Chaser )

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun May 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Yea, I was thinking that yesterday too Chad. Zeke already has those privilages, but he's not involved with the site that much anymore. I was thinking of giving a couple people those same privilages. Zeke is considered an Admin on the site giving him all the same power that I have, but I can set people as moderators as well. Their power is pretty much limited to the forums. They can't change major settings or delete users, but they can edit/delete/lock posts. I think I'll do that this afternoon. If you guys really want, I'll make it registration only with pre-approval. This guarantees no spammers, but you can't post until I or a mod activates the account.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun May 14, 2006 12:46 pm

Hey, what about this guys. I can turn on the registration only, but create a seperate forum for non-users to post in. They can pose quick questions or comments without having to be registered. Yes, there will be some spam occaisionally, but it's only one forum that needs to be pruned, not the entire board. Thoughts?

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sun May 14, 2006 11:03 pm

Greg46m wrote:Hey, what about this guys. I can turn on the registration only, but create a seperate forum for non-users to post in. They can pose quick questions or comments without having to be registered. Yes, there will be some spam occaisionally, but it's only one forum that needs to be pruned, not the entire board. Thoughts?
Greg

I think a nonuser area on the board would eliminate
some darn fine contributions from them in ongoing
discussions. Some really good intelligent posts from
non-users might not be contributed.Thank you for
deleting the ocasional Bullcrap, including my own, that
comes up.

Mark

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon May 15, 2006 7:21 pm

Granted, I'm new to boards here, but is it really that big of a problem? I recall only seeing 6 posts that don't belong. So far, you do a good job of cleaning them off.
rrnut282
(Mike)

D.L.

Pests

Post by D.L. » Wed May 17, 2006 6:54 pm

Spam idiots are back! Here's my message to you juveniles-find something better to do w/your time, and stay the heck off this website. Otherwise, the boys and I will form a posse at this Sunday's meeting and come lokkin' for you-and you know the rest of the story!!!

Mark
Veteran

Re: Pests

Post by Mark » Thu May 18, 2006 9:27 am

[quote="D.L."]Spam idiots are back! Here's my message to you juveniles-

Right-on D.L.
These spamers need to know that this is a website
for us oldfarts. Their servers' Johnson rods will be
really dragging. May their fiberoptics be melted down
and made into telegraph line insulators! I think the
spammer's bits and bites should be compressed into
coal to fire 765.

Mark

Formerly # 7 at G.E. TSWM

Chaser
Veteran

Post by Chaser » Sun May 21, 2006 8:58 am

Site spammers are bank ( CAROLINA THINDERBOLT )

Stupid people I look at the site everyday........Thought to myself wow a new user lets see what he has to say ....Nope just spam, somehow got an email too...Use caution guys..and gals

Chad ( chaser )

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sun May 21, 2006 9:24 pm

Chad, did you get an email from the spammer? The way I read your post, thats what it sounds like. If so, thats really weird since I didn't get one.

BTW: I have Mike Miesener helping me out in reguards to deleting spam messages and keeping the board clean. I really appreciate his help as the messages can be taken care of a lot quicker.

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sun May 21, 2006 11:46 pm

Luckily, it's not that big a problem, I've seen a couple of groups on Yahoo get really beat up by spammers. Unfortunately, we live in a imperfect world. :roll:

Chaser
Veteran

Spammers

Post by Chaser » Mon May 22, 2006 8:10 am

Greg now i don't know
Already deleted it so NEVER MIND''

Chad