What do you guys think?

Have a suggestion for the website? A contribution to make? Feedback? We want to hear from you!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Should the Ft Wayne Railfan Forum be registration only?

Yes
44%
No - Infrequent posters will be pushed away
22%
No - I don't like giving out personal information
No votes
I don't care.
33%

Total votes: 9

Greg46m
Site Admin

What do you guys think?

Post by Greg46m » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:30 pm

Kind of topic related, yet not, I've been thinking this over in my head and thought I'd see what you guys think before I do it. It has been suggested that I disable the "Guest" posting option on the forum. You would only be able to post if you had an account, which I realize many of you already do, but it would prevent people accidently posting as a guest when they already have an account. It would probably eliminate a lot of confusion in that reguard. However, I know from personal experiences that on boards I don't frequent that often that I may want to respond to something but don't feel like going through the entire registration process just to respond to one thing. I think it's the same here because I've seen posts from people who never visited again, but had something valuable to add. If they couldn't post without registration, they might not have posted and we wouldn't have gained from their knowledge. Thats why I havn't disable guest posting as of yet. In the admin view each post has a button beside it labeled "IP" that I can click on to get their IP, even from guests. From there even for guests I can search for every message posted from that IP, so I can tell who posted what, where. So with that said, I can still track guest posters as long as they keep the same IP; and ban that IP if problems arise, just like I can ban a member. But if a guests IP gets reassigned, I loose track of them. So what do you guys think? I know theres some that post frequently as guests, would you guys have a problem registering if I made the change?

D.L.

FWA Railfan Registration

Post by D.L. » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:31 pm

Greg, I tried to register and it wouldn't let me. I am totally opposed to the idea. Indiana board (Nathan B.) did that, and I REFUSE to post there. So did Michigan, but who cares about them. (they're nuts for living in that frigid state anyway!) Leave this board open to all participants, I enjoy all the different viewpoints. THANKS

Mark
Veteran

Re: FWA Railfan Registration

Post by Mark » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:25 pm

D.L. wrote:Greg, I tried to register and it wouldn't let me. I am totally opposed to the idea. Indiana board (Nathan B.) did that, and I REFUSE to post there. So did Michigan, but who cares about them. (they're nuts for living in that frigid state anyway!) Leave this board open to all participants, I enjoy all the different viewpoints. THANKS
D.L.

I suppose it has to do with your MAW that you can't register.
Guests can post on the Indiana board.
I kind of like the personal message function for registrants on
this board and Nate's Indiana board.How private are they,GREG?
Nobody seems to be trashing this board, so why not let unregistered
users continue to post.

Mark
Last edited by Mark on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:49 am

As long as the discussions stay on track and most of the guest posts are from regulars who "forget to log-in", I probably wouldn't do it. When postings get out of hand, off-topic, too political, insulting, etc, then yes, definitely make everyone log-in. As long as it's free, most people won't object (unless you moonlight as a telemarketer :P ).
rrnut282
(Mike)

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:20 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I think I will keep it open for now. If things do start to get more out of hand, then I might rethink it. And no, this won't ever be a pay-for site. Even in my imagination I dont think it'll ever get that big that I need to rent more server space/bandwidth. A place like Trainorders needs to have that site the way they do because of the shear volume of people they handle being a nationwide, even worldwide website. I probably will put up a web page with ways you can contribute be it either monetarily for domain/hosting fees, information, photos, hosting ATCS/Audio servers and the like. But it won't be annoying pop-up page that you have to click through every time you visit a page or anything annoying like that.

Thanks guys

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:00 pm

D.L. -

Email me if you'd like for me to create you an account. Send me what you'd like your username and password to be and I'll get it going for you. My email is webmaster@fwarailfan.net

Good news guys, it looks like I'll have the photo gallery going soon. Each member will have their own "gallery" that you can put photos up onto and customize the way you like. The even better news is that the software comes with a function to automatically transfer your account from here over to it therefore you won't have to create a new account or anything. Hopefully, when a new member registers, it'll automatically create a new photo gallery for them as well. I'm sitting here waiting for the files to upload to the server right now, I'll let you know when everything is up and running.