what are you modeling?

The place for discussion, tips, tricks, questions and anything else related to the modeling hobby. Get Prototype information, historical operations and much more.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Funitsforever
Veteran

what are you modeling?

Post by Funitsforever » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:16 am

In curious what everybody else is modeling?
What scale?
Prototype?
era?

I for one model the Penn Central in the mid 70s, in HO scale
Scott

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:46 am

I used to model HO scale. Mainly BNSF

Now I have a 4'X8' N scale layout. Still benchwork though, about 90% complete. I'm currently modeling BN, but I'm thinking about switching to NS. I like the BN territory and their paint scheme and such, but I could do a prototypical layout of NS. Not sure yet though.

-Greg

Chaser
Veteran

Modeling

Post by Chaser » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:30 am

I do N Scale '80 & 90's Have a room to work in bout 10 x 6 however I'm just getting started now They just go around in circles

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:10 pm

HO Scale, 1980's-Today
Model "Proto Freelance" road called the "CIOR"
Central Indiana & Ohio Railroad

http://www.trainweb.org/cior

Gary Berkey
Veteran

What are you modeling?

Post by Gary Berkey » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:02 pm

I model in N-Scale; i have a 4`x6`incomplete layout at home. I'm also a member of the Elkhart Model Railroad Club in Elkhart, IN., which has both HO-Scale and N-Scale layouts.I own factory-painted and custom-painted diesels in Norfolk Southern, Conrail and Reading. My era is: Reading, 60's, early 70's, Conrail, generally early 90's, NS 80's to today!

Tains for kids

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:31 am

I have a three year old son who is in love with model trains. We watch "I love toy trains" all day long and play Geotrax infinately. I was wondering where a good place to take him, nearby, to see some neat layouts would be. Is there someone who has something in there home that they show to the public? Or is there a layout in a museum somewhere? We've already seen the science central layout numerous times. Thanks, Mary Beth Frank

Steve Bryan

Post by Steve Bryan » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:51 pm

I like modeling in 1/8 scale, a.k.a. live steam gage. Right now I like Indiana Service Corporation interurbans. However, some day I want to build a live steam engine, most likely based on a Pennsy prototype.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:03 am

Mary Beth-

There is a great layout located in Garrett that you and your son should take a look at some time. Its the Greater Midcontinent Railroad Company. It's a HO scale layout in the basement of the museum located just south of the CSX tracks next to the viaduct on Randolph St. They have over 7 scale miles of track work on two levels. It's fully scened. Last time I was down there, about a year ago, they were open on Saturdays to the public from noon to 3. Here's a link to their website that you can check out. http://www.sirus.com/users/tlout/gmrcclub.html

-Greg

h2466
Veteran

what are you modeling?

Post by h2466 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:46 pm

Hello list, I model S-scale(not flyer), PRR, mid to late 60's, DCC. The layout is 12'x24'. Welcome mat is always out just email me. Ken.

nssd70

Post by nssd70 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:05 pm

I model in HO scale,Norfolk Southern in 2005. I plan on doing a layout loosely based on the ex Conrail Chicago Line in Illinois and Indiana.
Last edited by nssd70 on Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:46 pm

I like to Model anything midwest. CNW, BN some NS and DRGW. I like Mainly O scale but do some HO & G in late Steam early Diesel.

As to Mary Beths question :Is there someone who has something in there home that they show to the public? Go /come up to the Prime Outlets in Fremont, Indiana next to KB Toys. We have the G-Trac & Northern Indiana O Guager's model RR club open to the public every First & Third Saturdays of the month no charge. There are 9 operating layouts (2 G Scale, 2 Lionel, 1 "O" Scale, 1 On30, 1 HO, I n scale including a G scale Thomas Set for the kids to play with. Hours are 10am-4pm. If you have trains bring them with to run on the layouts with assistance from the club members. More information contact: Northernindianaogaugers@yahoo.com

Mike G-Trac President

Eric in St Joe
Regular

Post by Eric in St Joe » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:41 pm

Hello.
I have a 12' by 8' inverted L shaped layout in the basement thats N scale. Im doing a freelance EL layout set in the 1970s. Its loosely based on the EL here in Indiana and Ohio and its pretty much all single tracked with 3 passing sidings and a yard and a few industrial spurs..
KC9GUZ

Support ham radio.

gnryfan

What are you modelling?

Post by gnryfan » Sun May 07, 2006 1:52 pm

I'm modelling the Great Northern, Cascade division, through the mountains and the Cascade tunnel, from the Seattle Tacoma area east to Spokane....currently transitiion era. For operations, TT&TO, CC&WB, fast clok, FRS radio.
CEO Great Northern Railway Cascade Division

TMA62

Post by TMA62 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:55 am

I model the Pennsylvania RR from Fort Wayne to Valparaiso as well as the South Bend Branch. It is in HO scale. I started on it in 1999 and still working on it. I don't have any scenery on it yet but that may change this summer. I am currently working on the yard tracks.

Attached is a website. It is a little dated and I will need to add more pictures.

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/layouts/andrews/
Ted Andrews

Chris7092
Veteran

What I model

Post by Chris7092 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:06 pm

I model the ex-EL mainline in n-scale from Marion, OH to Huntington, IN in 2006 had it not been torn up in the 70's. The railroad is NS with CSX trackage rights trains. Most of the traffic is from Pittsburg east and swings south on the Wabash at Huntington. This move saves NS from running this traffic to Cleveland/Toledo/Butler and thus alleviates congestion on that line. The CSX trains come from Pittsburg and will consist primarily of coal/grain traffic and some intermodal. The NS traffic will be anything you might see on the Wabash, so essentially anything under the sun. There will be one or two short Amtrak trains that make appearances as well. Since I'm still in college, it is obvious that this is my plan for a future layout, and it'll be many years before anything is built, but it's never too early to plan 8)