From Bad to Excellent

The place for discussion, tips, tricks, questions and anything else related to the modeling hobby. Get Prototype information, historical operations and much more.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

jett37
Veteran

From Bad to Excellent

Post by jett37 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:37 pm

I attended the model train show at Muncie Saturday and purchased a SD9 (Rio G) with the intention of using the drive train in one of my N&W SD9s. I looked the locomotive over and found it to be OK. I must have held it just right because when I removed it from the box after arriving home the whole rear truck assembly fell out in my hand. I discovered a mounting tab was broken. To bad as it ran really well. Loaded it up along with Marsh this morning and we headed out to Greenville OH. model train show. Man the eight inch snow fall over night and still snowing did not help the roads at all. Any way made it to the train show and after a chat with the vender I purchased the SD 9 from I settled for a Kato ES44AC "GEVO" at a great discount (50% off retail). A bit over powered for the AMV but what a GREAT little locomotive. I never knew anything could run that smooth or quiet on my track. My first unit with ditch lights. No, although I love the up date I'm still sticking to my era on the layout. BJ

(click photo for enlarge viewing)
Attachments
New 3-1-2015  1.jpg
3-1-2015 4.jpg
3-1-2015 2.jpg
3-1-2015  5.jpg
2-28-15 AMV.jpg

Chaser
Veteran

Re: From Bad to Excellent

Post by Chaser » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:57 pm

You said that you wanted something with Ditch lights.......
That would make a great unit to bring and run Decatur Eastern

Chad

jett37
Veteran

Re: From Bad to Excellent

Post by jett37 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Chaser wrote:You said that you wanted something with Ditch lights.......
That would make a great unit to bring and run Decatur Eastern

Chad
The GEVO is one nice locomotive. I'm having trouble finding a match for it to run multiple. May have to purchase another one.
Mean time running some of the older inventory. I moved the Quonset hut from the corner over by Specks Stone and gravel and a made a wooded area on the corner. Will have to find more junk , the old Quonset looks kind of bare.

(click photo to enlarge view)
Attachments
3-4-2015 AMV 2.jpg
3-4-2015 AMV 3.jpg
amv 3-4-15.jpg