There were six tunnels on lines in Southern Indiana that were eventually part of Southern Railway. Five were between New Albany and Taswell on the New Albany-St. Louis “Air Line,” and the fifth was on the French Lick Branch. Four of the six are still operating.
The five Air Line Tunnels were:
(1) The tunnel in the photo, now known as Duncan Tunnel or Edwardsville Tunnel, depending on who you are talking to. It is east of Georgetown and is the longest tunnel in Indiana.
(2) The tunnel Notch 8 mentioned was Heck Tunnel, west of Georgetown, which was unroofed in 1945.
(3) Arnold Tunnel, 1.5 miles east of DePauw, was closed and filled in after the track was re-routed in 1983.
(4) Patton Tunnel between Taswell and English, is now known by either towns’ name.
(5) Condra Tunnel, 2.25 miles west of Marengo is now known as Marengo Tunnel.
Burton Tunnel is south of French Lick on Southern Railway’s French Lick Branch, now the Indiana Railway Museum/Dubois County Railroad. It is still called Burton Tunnel and is the second longest in Indiana.
There were at least three other tunnels excavated between New Albany and Georgetown that were not used in the final location of what became Southern Railway’s New Albany-St. Louis mainline.
Besides these four - Edwardsville, English, Marengo and Burton - are there any other operating tunnels in Indiana?