Going to town.

Where-is-its, what-is-it's and other brain teasers.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

wayne b
Veteran

Going to town.

Post by wayne b » Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 pm

2010-04-28_013818.jpg
2010-04-28_013818.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 2568 times
wherediz 4-28-2010.jpg
Going to town. What town.

wayne b
Veteran

Re: Going to town.

Post by wayne b » Sun May 16, 2010 3:23 am

PRR to MAIN.jpg
These coords were for the curve going from parrelling the PRR ROW to Main St. to go through Redkey. This curve is not visible from the county road or the overpass on SR 67 (unless you stand on the overpass and look over the west side).
west redkey.jpg

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sun May 16, 2010 10:03 am

Interesting.... I never knew a siding came off the PRR there. I'll look at my charts and see if I have anything on it.

I know there was a gravel dump west of Redkey, my grandfather told me about that, but all traces of it are gone now.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

wayne b
Veteran

Post by wayne b » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:39 am

Sorry , missed your post. This is Muncie & Portland Interuban. It took the long way from Albany to get to Rekey via Dunkirk. Join SR 167 at the curve suoth of Dunkirk. Dunkirk to Redkey was parallel to Pennsy from Main on Railroad Street. occupied ROW where Pennsy later had a siding from Kerr glass to Main. Siding was progressively shortened through the years until it came off near the feed mill half a block from Main. The curve west of Redkey was where it left the Pennsy to go down Main St. in Redkey through to the tracks toward Portland. This is another of those remnants you have to know is there because it is hidden from the county road and can not be seen from the overpass on SR 67 because of the guard rail. You would have to stand at the guard rail on the overpass to see it, something the state frowns on. Ought to be able to see it from the RR tracks but again frowned upon. Part of the problem with the ROW by the RR is that few places or recognizable as such, overgrown and plowed under, some just looks like farm lanes because no power line was left behind and instead of the usual 50 to 100 feet from RR this one is only 30 ft from it.

Again, sorry for the delay. Had some problems that stopped me cold.