Just passing through.

Where-is-its, what-is-it's and other brain teasers.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

wayne b
Veteran

Just passing through.

Post by wayne b » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:54 am

This Interuban passes through town. North and south approaches are shown. What town and on what street?
2010-04-28_023708.jpg
2010-04-28_023708.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
North Approach.jpg
2010-04-28_024330.jpg
2010-04-28_024330.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 2867 times
south aproach.jpg

wayne b
Veteran

Re: Just passing through.

Post by wayne b » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 am

Hartford City.jpg
The town is Hartford City. The street name is Jefferson.
North end of Jefferson Street.jpg
Row is just to the right of the street, not centered. North approach can be seen at road crossing shown previously.
South end Jefferson Street.jpg
This is only view of south approach except from NS track.
The seemingly obligatory court house stop..jpg
Did not know which building was used for passenger depot so included the seeming obligatory courthouse stop when passing through a county seat.
Through the addition..jpg
Of note is how the addition grew around the ROW and stranded it behind private property.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:23 am

Funny, but I grew up a block from the last picture and my grandparents built a house in 1979 in that "new addition" called the "new oaks". There house abutted the property that was the interurban line. As a kid I spent many hours playing on this segment. My great aunt/uncle lived just down the right of way further and he put a fence on the right of way.

There is still a ton of slag left behind in there too, as this was a spot they dumped slag for whatever industry. My grandfather told me it was the large glass plant out on the south edge of town where he grew up, could have been.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

indrr
Regular

Post by indrr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:25 am

wayne b wrote: Did not know which building was used for passenger depot so included the seeming obligatory courthouse stop when passing through a county seat.
Thanks for the photo quiz.

The UTC depot in Hartford City still stands, minus the freight depot end, on the SE corner of Jefferson and Water Street. Here's a link to a google streetview:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=har ... 2,,0,-9.03

indrr
Regular

Post by indrr » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:31 am

CIOR wrote:There is still a ton of slag left behind in there too, as this was a spot they dumped slag for whatever industry. My grandfather told me it was the large glass plant out on the south edge of town where he grew up, could have been.
The 1896 Sanborn map shows that the Hartford City Glass Co. was located between 5th and 7th Streets, east of Monroe. It was a pretty big factory. Looks like the plant location is now the site of South Side Elementary School and its ball fields.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Yes it was, the babe ruth diamond is there.
My grandfather told stories of playing in the "smoke tunnels" as a kid. It was torn down during the depression though.
I know the PRR and NKP both served it, but not sure about the interurban.

The freight house portion of the depot burned, actually the entire building burnt at one point.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com