Future of the Ft Wayne Railfan site

For information reguarding updates to the FWARailfan Website and forums

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Greg46m
Site Admin

Future of the Ft Wayne Railfan site

Post by Greg46m » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:20 pm

I'm sure most of you know that little over a year ago my wife and I decided to move back to my hometown of Bryan, OH. Since that happened a lot has happened in our lives including purchasing our first house, starting on new career paths, and now expecting our first child in May. My priorities and ambitions have also changed a lot since then as well. No longer do I drive by my favorite railfan spot on my way home from work or whenever I'm bored. No longer do i get up on Saturday mornings, pack up the truck with my laptop and camera bag and head trackside for the day. Now my time is consumed by my side jobs doing video production for TV, working around the house or helping friends on their projects, gardening and the like. I can tell that I don't have any special motivation to head trackside on a whim and chase trains around the countryside anymore.

Having said that I stil feel a responsability to this website community. There are a lot of great people that hang around this forum and a lot of active members considering this site has a narrow scope of interest compared with other railfan sites. I don't feel that it'd be right of me to abandon it and let the community die out. I think this website, outside of the forum, is one of the most information rich sites out there in terms of historical data and tutorial info for any site like it. David Safdy who created the content you see here did a wonderful job in researching and presenting all this information. It'd be a shame to let it fade away into the past.

That is why I have decided to open up to you guys for suggestions and help. I would like to find someone, or a small group of people, that would like to take over the responsability of this website and it's content. I know things around the area are constantly changing and I don't have the time or the willingness to keep things updated as they should be on the site. It's my belief that if a website is going to survive it has to offer something new for people to want to come back to. If we didn't have the forum, this site probably wouldn't exist anymore, but even at that I think it would be of great service to railfans in the region to have a place to come back to and be able to see whats changing and get information from.

So with that I would like to invite anyone with ideas or a willingness to help run things around here to contact me either privately or here on the forum with their ideas. I'm open to anything whether it be somebody that I can give the login information to so that they can create and update the webpages or someone that I can completely hand the keys to to take over the site ( and yes, there actually is a real set of keys to the website!)

At this time I don't plan on giving up control over the ATCS and radio server unless someone comes forward with a better solution than what is already in place.

-Greg Lavoie
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

D.L.
Veteran

Re: Future of the Ft Wayne Railfan site

Post by D.L. » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:44 pm

:D The word is spelled ---responsibilty--- NOT w/an a-w/an i (sorry, that is the teacher in me) Greg, go to the chalkboard and write it out 100 times! :mrgreen:

I suggest you wait about 2 years after the kid comes and you will be so glad that you still have this boring board to run! Just a little advise from one of the married guys out here.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW- congrats on the baby--and a May due date to boot--for all of us May kids-----WOW! :roll:

zuluwiz
Regular

Post by zuluwiz » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Isn't it responsibility? Nitpicking can be fun, but it can also be taken too far.

douglas804
Regular

Post by douglas804 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:26 pm

Obla di, Obla da, life goes on! Enjoy the new family and hopefully one of the techies on this board will be happy to assume the respsonsability (and Yes! the responsibility as well) of this board. Thank you for all you have done to bring it to how wonderful it is. Loram could not have done as well.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:17 am

Greg give it some time. Let life settle out. This site runs along without any real need for much. Guys keep things steady on the information in the forum. When life slows back down, you will have time again.
Once the kid hits about 2-3 years.
Actually get to the walking stage and it gets much slower.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Thanks guys for the comments and for the idea's that I've gotten. I've had a couple of suggestions to distribute some of the content management to other people. I think I will investigate ways to make this viable so that anyone that can use a MS Word type format could update and create webpages. I know there's things like Wordpress out there but I won't want it to be too generic. Any ideas on this are welcome.

I have been impressed lately by how busy the board has been. I think the Whereisit feature is generating some additional traffic like I had hoped. I guess as long as you guys don't mind me being absent (which it doesn't appear anyone is up in arms about it at this point) we'll keep on going like we are. You kids are pretty well behaved most of the time, so I guess it's not a bid deal :wink:
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Well, you have plenty of forum vets here to help on that end, but its not like you have many issues on the forum end.

If I had more time I'd help with the web stuff, but I haven't even updated my stuff of late.
Kids eat a lot of time!
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

D.L.
Veteran

Re:Ft Wayne Railfan site

Post by D.L. » Tue May 11, 2010 5:27 pm

:wink: I just wanted to thank you Greg for taking such good care of our railfan site. I just wish these spammers would leave us alone-but we don't live in a perfect world.
We can only fight back as best as we can, and Greg you're doing a great job. Keep up the good work..... :D

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 pm

YEP, DOING A GREAT JOB !!! BTW, HE GRILLS A MEAN RIBEYE. I'M SLOBBERING THINKING ABOUT IT. GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!

KEITH

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Tue May 11, 2010 8:25 pm

KEITH_HARRIS wrote:YEP, DOING A GREAT JOB !!! BTW, HE GRILLS A MEAN RIBEYE. I'M SLOBBERING THINKING ABOUT IT. GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!!

KEITH
Hey Keith, your former co-worker from the Ft. Wayne dispatcher office, Gary House, says hi
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

KEITH_HARRIS
Veteran

Post by KEITH_HARRIS » Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 am

GARY WAS THE BEST, MUCH BETTER THAN SOME WE HAD. HI, OLD BUDDY!!!! IF YOU EVER GET TO SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI, GIVE ME A CALL. AHH!! THE GOOD OLD DAYS!!!

KEITH

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:04 am

I think maybe we all need to REREAD Greg's first post. He is asking for help in keeping the board running and it appears maybe he didn't get any. My excuse,very computer illiterate but maybe one or more of you that are computer savy could volunteer to help out.Sounds like his plate was full back when he did the post but maybe now it is running over and needs the help big time.

What say you?

JW

BWH2003
Regular

Post by BWH2003 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:58 pm

I did volunteer to help but never heard a response back. I do not want to see the site die period. It has a lot of information that would be lost if the site were to go down. I know he doesn't know me very well but I also offered to send emails back and forth and then meet somewhere if that made him more confortable. I would like to think others offered to help as well but they may not have announced it in the forums.

I would still love to help with the site but it is 100% Greg's call on this. I do bring experience moderating and administrating forums with me. Hopefully we see Greg sometime soon before there is an issue that cannot be fixed.

Cya

Bryan

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know I'm still alive. I usually try to read my daily digests that are emailed to me everyday although sometimes it's usually just a browse through it. Notch 8 has been helping me quite a bit lately with the spammers and I appreciate it greatly. For some reason sometime around early this week I started noticing that the rediculous amount of new accounts was starting to get worse and worse. A new account is created on this board an average of every 5 minutes. I think someone finally found a loophole to get through on a mass basis, or somebody just decided to jump on us here. I'm in the process of backing up the forums right now to install an update. Hopefully that works and things get back to normal.

I'm going to try to add some more of you guys as moderators as well tonight. I know many people have spoken up about taking the job on and that's great. I do want to limit the number to just a few people for now just so I know who's doing what and I don't have to explain the process of cleaning up the board to a hundred people. If you don't see a message from me stating that you have mod privledges, don't take it personally or think I don't trust you. You guys are all great and I think this forum is unique in the amount of pure factual history that's shared everyday amongst us. I see quite a few other boards that are all about posting "today's log of sightings" or full of off-topic commentary and side jokes. Those places have their place, but I'm proud to have the forum that's actually sharing the things that you guys do.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Great to hear from you Greg. Hope everybody in the family are doing fine.

JW