Waterloo Amshack Station

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Waterloo Amshack Station

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:58 am

While Amtrak did not do anything to improve their image at the Waterloo IN train stop the Waterloo City Officals did !
I have seen many travelers put up with terrible weather conditions just to catch a train that seems to be late more than it is on time, Actually travelers had it better 90 years ago, the train were faster, more frequent, you could sit your watch with the schedule they held and they had a heated passenger station, so in some ways we have travled backwards !
Sounds like officals are going to incorporate the former depot into this plan.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... -1/LOCAL11

Mike
Attachments
Waterloo0001.jpg
Former LSMS Depot after restoration

JW
Veteran

Re: Waterloo Amshack Station

Post by JW » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:59 am

Mike,

According to the story in the JG, Waterloo rents the depot out for events. It looks to be a great place for us to have a "Get Together" if the price is right! Could you check this out for us?

JW

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:40 pm

:oops: Afternoon paper hints that Ft. Wayne has lost out again. :roll:

Chris7092
Veteran

Post by Chris7092 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Interesting.

I'm curious to see how it will look. If the platform is going to be right in front of the station, they're going to have to do some serious work to add some ground up there, as you can see by the photo the ROW drops off sharply at track's edge.

Chris

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

The Waterloo Depot is available by contacting the Waterloo Towne Hall and that # is 260-837-7428. Be nice if it could be relocated at its orginal location.

October 22, 2010

News Release

Waterloo, Ind. -- The Town of Waterloo has been notified, by the Office of U.S. Senator Evan Bayh, that it has been awarded a $1,820,100 Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) II grant from the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) for the Waterloo Train Station Improvements Project. This project will include the construction of a full length platform with canopy, lighting, innovative signage, ADA accessible ramps and walkways, and additional parking at the recently rehabilitated, historic Waterloo Depot Train Station.

The USDOT is awarding approximately $600 million in TIGER II discretionary grants through the Fiscal Year 2010 Appropriations Act. The grants provide capital assistance to states, local governments and transit agencies for financing, capital grants, and transportation planning activities. TIGER II grants have been awarded on a competitive basis for projects that will have a significant impact on the nation, a metropolitan area or a region. Out of total funding, not less than $140 million was to be used in rural communities. According to the USDOT, over 19 billion in funding was requested and only 3% of requests were awarded.

The Waterloo Train Station Improvements Project will complete a six-year community effort of removing the existing “bus stop” shelter and returning the historic Waterloo Depot to passenger use.

In 2005, the Town applied for and received a Transportation Enhancement Grant through the Indiana Department of Transportation to historically rehabilitate the depot. The rehabilitation has recently been completed and a re-dedication ceremony was held on September 18, 2010.

This phase of the project will be a cooperative effort with the National Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak) and is necessary for the reuse of the historic Waterloo Depot. These improvements will connect the depot with the passenger platform and will provide an improved shelter at the Waterloo Depot Station that will increase the comfort, safety, and security of train passengers. The final design will have to be approved by Norfolk-Southern Corporation, owner of this rail line.

At present, the Waterloo station has the third highest ridership of any Indiana station after the much larger cities of Indianapolis and Lafayette. The station is served by Amtrak’s Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington DC and the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago to New York City and Boston with one daily train each in both directions. In FY2009, Amtrak ridership at Waterloo was 19,074. Amtrak passengers travel to Waterloo from throughout Northeast Indiana and beyond to catch the trains.

Railroads have always been the identifier of the Waterloo community and the Town wishes to capitalize on this project as a way to improve its downtown and draw additional visitors and economic development into the community.

Council President William Hubartt said “he looks forward to the Town working with Amtrak on a station that will be a great improvement for train riders, more user-friendly and modern.”

Town Manager DeWayne Nodine said “having a new facility in Waterloo will allow Amtrak passengers to continue to drive to a location that is easily accessible to the entire region; the station is less than two miles from Interstate Highway 69, and is very easy to find.”

Last year, more than 19,000 people rode the rails from the Waterloo stop. That is an increase from fewer than 18,000 passengers the year before.

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:53 pm

Thanks for finding out about rental.

JW

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:42 pm

Yes thank you very, very much.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 am

A 1.8 million dollar lump of money is going to be used to finally rehab the Amshack in Waterloo IN, They are going to relocate the former Depot back near to it original location ! For the amount of People catch the train at Waterloo I have always been amazed to how primitive the accommodations to People wanting to catch the train in Waterloo, especially in the winter when train are often HOURS late so the improvements should be very welcome to passengers the board and un-board and I think Waterloo is small enough that the Police will help keep this a desirable place and the former LS&MS Depot will be able to offer a place for travelers to get out of the weather in a heated station.. The only way this could have been any better is to have brought the Baker Street Station to Waterloo. I think they should have a shuttle from Ft Wayne to Waterloo for passengers too but I guess we should be happy that they finally addressed the Amshack Shelter issue... updates to follow

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:57 am

The funding for the revised project is less than $1.8 million. Some was lost because deadlines were passed when either NS or Amtrak balked at the original plan.

The depot will remain on the east side of Center St., but will be moved closer to Center. A new parking lot will be constructed on the east side of the depot.

The boarding platform will remain on the west side of Center St. where it is currently located, but will be improved. People will walk across Center St. between the depot and platform. As I recall, the original plan included a pedestrian underpass for crossing Center St.

I don't know if they have decided to install Amtrak's electronic status board, which is expensive.

Craig
Attachments
Waterloo depot night lk W c1955.jpg

LeoRRFan

Post by LeoRRFan » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Any updates on this project?

wabash2800
Veteran

Post by wabash2800 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:18 pm

Some years ago when the Lions Club raised funds to save the depot (Conrail was going to level it). I worked with them to get the right NYC colors based on information I had on the New York Central's paint manufacturer and colors. IRC, the manufacturer no longer existed but another paint manufacturer was able to cross reference the formulas.

Phil Buchert, who lived in Maine, and was a friend of mine, attended Tri-State at Angola in the late 1930s and would ride with the tower operator, who lived in Angola, on a Saturday to watch and photograph trains at Waterloo. Phil made a trip out here a few years after the depot was moved and was very happy to see it saved.

Sadly, he passed away about ten years ago. He sold me a kerosene interior caboose lamp that was on the Fort Wayne Branch Local caboose. Phil was given a ride in the wooden caboose while they were switching cars at Waterloo one day. He made a comment on how nice the lamp looked and a crew member gave it to him. He and his wife had it mounted on the wall in their kitchen in their Maine home for a backup when the power went out. When a friend and I went up to visit them one year I noted they lived in one of those classic Maine farm houses with the barn attached to the house so that one could do the chores without worrying about a New England Snow Storm!

The lamp is mounted on a board but unfortunately, the lamp shade and some other small hardware got away from Phil. It does, however, have "NYCL" soldered on the bowl. I have a photo and story for the FW&J book. (Phil is one of about three prominent railfans or railroaders that attended Tri-State over the years that I've included in the book.)

I have some of Phil's photos and negatives as does Randy Christy (now living in Montana?) and Jay Williams. I find it interesting that the Waterloo Depot bay window is back on the depot now as it is my understanding that it was lopped off in the famous late 1950s, Waterloo derailment. (I have some original color slides of that wreck.)

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:50 am

Going over my NYC notes I found one about a proposed new depot at Waterloo in 1907 during the track realignment project. It was to be 600 ft. east of the crossing, on the east side of Center St., where the depot will be located when it is moved in 2015-2016 for Amtrak. FW&J trains were going to access it on a Y-track.

Craig

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:35 pm

If enough of you are interested in doing a meet at the former NYC Depot in Waterloo I'm willing to make and pay for the arrangements and flip for the food, I'm open to do this January or February..

Invite is open to anyone that is on this board.

Any Interest ?

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm very interested if we are not down South.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:55 am

No guarantee with my unpredictable schedule, but I'd be interested.
rrnut282
(Mike)