CFE

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cptp1973
Veteran

CFE

Post by cptp1973 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:45 am

How many trains run on the CFE daily? I know that the CFE operates between Chicago, IL and Crestline, OH. Are the tracks still in place east of Crestline and who operates on them?

Mark
Veteran

Re: CFE

Post by Mark » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:36 pm

NS owns the former PRR from West yard in Crestline Eastward.
I don't know train count on CF&E, but, I'm glad the line is mostly
intact and in use. NS runs regularly over the CF&E from COLSAN,
( Bucyrus),thru Crestline.
CSX owns the other East-West railroad thru Crestline.

Mark

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 pm

Where's Joe Millspaugh when we need him or did he leave CF&E for Amtrak?

JW

midland sub
Veteran

Post by midland sub » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:19 pm

CF&E basically runs their trains as turn jobs with a couple of locals. The turns are (were) based out of Fort Wayne and they forward traffic in and out of Fort Wayne. Last I heard they were heading to Chicago 4 to 6 times a week and Lima about the same. They are basically the "road freights" on the CFE. They seem to run during the night like on sister road the I&O were it allows the local and yard jobs work whatever traffic they bring during the day. Also lets those crews use the same locos.

Fort Wayne-Toleston (Chicago) to the IHB
Fort Wayne- Lima

There's a local based out of Warsaw that probably works at least 6 days a week. Both Fort Wayne and Lima both have local/yard jobs. The Lima based crews handle the somewhat sparse traffic east of P&G in Lima. CSX power is used on unit grain trains loading on the CFE from the CSX interchange @ Upper Sandusky. The W&LE was making a once a week or so run over to the east end from Upper Sandusky to Lima. They don't directly interchange with the CFE as they go Ford Park @ Lima and the I&O "hands" over the traffic from there.

Not sure about what NS runs over the line. I don't think it's much more than a train a day on certain parts- nothing from end to end as NS wanted to do a couple of years ago.

4mula1
Veteran

Post by 4mula1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 am

The local in Warsaw does a lot of switching at RR Donnelley in Warsaw as well as neighboring Flint Ink. The CHFW will set out cars in Warsaw for not only the Warsaw business, but also the plastic bucket manufacturer in Hamlet and Von Tobel Lumber in Valpo which the Warsaw local services.

I've been seeing the CHFW during late morning or early afternoon lately. Tuesday (the day of the "blizzard") I saw it at lunch and it had a Tunnel Motor and GP40X on the point when they were setting out cars. The tunnel motor stayed in town and the local unit (3883) went east to Ft. Wayne. Thursday 3883 was back in Warsaw and the tunnel motor was gone. I also saw on Thursday the Atlas crew cleaning out the switch on the east end of the Warsaw siding.

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:19 pm

I believe the CFE used to run between Ft. Wayne and Lima every day of the week. I will agree that they seem to only run so many times a week. They have not even broke the snow at the street crossings here in Van Wert at times. Probably run as business dictates. PW

cptp1973
Veteran

Post by cptp1973 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:18 pm

I am glad the railroad is still in place, but it is sad to see how little it is used now. I can remember as kid going from Decatur to Syracuse in late 70's and early 80's and seeing many trains on that line. When I lived in Columbia City in the late 90's after the Conrail split I remember an increase in traffic on the line.

RDJ
Veteran

Post by RDJ » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:57 pm

What railroad is the CHFW?

Is there a small CF&E yard in Warsaw?

If so what is its location and name?

RDJ

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:02 pm

The CHFW is the train symbol the CF&E uses for its eastbound train from Chicago to Ft. Wayne. The westbound run is symbolled FWCH. The crews here in Ft. Wayne also make weekly runs down the old Decatur Secondary to Decatur to service Bunge 5 days a week(will run on weekends if requested by Bunge).
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator