Intermodel Yard

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Chaser
Veteran

Intermodel Yard

Post by Chaser » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:45 pm

Read this today in my local paper. Went and found a link to it from the Fort Wayne paper.
Sounds interesting...
http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... /302029960
Chad

chowetrains
Veteran

Re: Intermodel Yard

Post by chowetrains » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:09 am

Yep, now they want to put this intermodal or trans-load facility in the old Casad Depot property. I wish them good luck because their previous plan to locate it on the CFE sure didn't work out!
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:53 am

Chris, Whats wrong with the depot property? And why did the CF&E deal fall thru? Ken

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:17 pm

There's nothing wrong with the Casad depot property and in fact I hope it does come to fruition as it means a few more trains thru New Haven for me. I was just making a comment in regards to the promoters as they have promised one of these facilities before and not delivered.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:53 pm

I think it would fly better on NS or CSX than the CF&E, transload might work on the CF&E but not the Intermodal, too many hands involving the CF&E. I think an Intermodal facility should work in this area, Half of the US population is within 12 hours of Fort Wayne Indiana, CSX just completed a Intermodal facility east of here over off I-75 North Baltimore OH ?

Mike

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm

The plans for a transloading facility at the Adams Center site on the CFE are not dead, but CSX’s refusal to give CFE access to Chicago shattered the original plan, at least at this point. CSX invested in the large new transloading facility at New Baltimore, south of Toledo, and could not allow its lessee, CFE, to undermine that investment. CFE and the company that proposed the Adams Center facility discussed a possible rail-truck-rail operation between CFE’s west end and the ramps in Chicago, but I cannot imagine that it would be as efficient as an all-rail operation.

Although the plans for the Adams Center site were for coast-to-coast container shipping, access to Chicago was in the plan, and is still required for any transloading facilities in this area. Does NS have direct access to the ramps in Chicago?

I haven’t seen anything recently, but the largest transloading facility in the world has been proposed for the Cincinnati area, to include truck, rail, air and river assets.

Craig Berndt
Craig Berndt

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Yep, NS has its own intermodal yard in Chi-town so that won't be a problem.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:52 pm

Craig that is North Baltimore not New Baltimore.

JW

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:08 pm

I've never heard of a gigantic intermodal facility being proposed for the Cincinnati tri-state area. With North Baltimore on CSX and Rickenbacker on the south side of Columbus, I wonder what interest NS or CSX would have in this. Interesting.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm

This was from back a couple years ago I do believe.
http://www.butlerport.org/intermodalstudy.pdf

It was more centered around the Hamilton Ohio area, with the northern connecting railroads. I didn't read it, but I believe this is the same one.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

midland sub
Veteran

Post by midland sub » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Both CSX and NS have more than adequate intermodal facilities in the Cincinnati area. CSX has a decent one located at Queensgate and is able to shift traffic to Columbus when needed- which they're currently expanding at the old Buckeye van yard. Honda handles their own traffic at Marysville and trucks anything from Greensburg from there. NS has Gest St in Cincy along with a reopened facility at Sharonville. Like Honda, Toyota handles their own traffic at the Georgetown assembly plant.

Something to watch is the Bluegrass Farms Logistic facility being built in Jeffersonville, Ohio on the I&O. It's just about half way between Cincy, Columbus and Dayton location wise. Ohio gave BGF a $7.5 million forgivable loan to build the logistics yard. Sort of like the Butler County plan with 2 6000 ft tracks with a rubber tire gantry crane. BGF wants to use it to ship containers of food grade soybeans to Asia and corn and DDG from a local ethanol plant directly into containers for shipment to China. The want to eventually develop non agriculture container traffic for the facility. If this works then maybe we'll see similar places built. It should be up and running some time this summer.
Wayne Gest wrote:I've never heard of a gigantic intermodal facility being proposed for the Cincinnati tri-state area. With North Baltimore on CSX and Rickenbacker on the south side of Columbus, I wonder what interest NS or CSX would have in this. Interesting.