Bio-Fuel Plant on the burner again for South Milford

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

wabash2800
Veteran

Bio-Fuel Plant on the burner again for South Milford

Post by wabash2800 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:00 pm

A good thing for Indiana Northeastern?

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs. ... /103210344

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: Bio-Fuel Plant on the burner again for South Milford

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:56 pm

If it actually gets built, unlilke the ones announced for Hartford City, Shiedler, and some other place I can't think of right now.

You can have loads coming in with corn and gas (to mix with the ethanol for shipping) and loads going out of DDGs and ethanol+gas. Add in the movements of empty cars and an ethanol plant is a very good customer for a railroad. It gets even better as the corn and DDGs aren't loaded into the same cars.
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:54 pm

Montpelier, Hartford City, Shideler, Mt.Summit, Millville... Just along the NCD

I'd not hold out much hope, but with the rise in fuel costs anything is possible. That seems to be the main reason we got all the ethanol plants this last time around. I'm pretty sure the plant at Hartford City is a goner, Shideler would be better suited, as the grain elevator there is a ethanol supplier. Not sure about Montpelier, I've not heard the issues there. Millville might be another logical spot, but I highly doubt Mt.Summit would see one with all the opposition it saw.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:35 am

The thing I heard about Montpelier (the one I couldn't remember last night) was the plan was for it to be West of Central States in the new Industrial park the town built. The issues were many (again, this is gossip, not gospel) they would not be on the RR proper, they would have to build an aerial conveyor across the road to Central States for a corn supply, it would render the town's investment in roads, sewers, and storm lines for the industrial park wasted as the ethanol plant would take up most, if not all, of the room. And that was before the NIMBYs spoke up.
rrnut282
(Mike)

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:59 am

Corn, ethanol alcohol and gasoline? The proposed plant at South Milford is bio-fuel (soybeans, not corn; diesel fuel, not ethanol).

As to whether it’s a good deal for INER, it would apparently be very good. They’d be the primary transporter of raw materials and finished products.

Craig Berndt
Craig Berndt

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm

As an owner of a elevator told me "Bio to Ethanol, all the same boat". :D
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:24 am

I would like this to come to South Milford more than anyone, However the business plan that Ultra Soy had was on the weak side and they could not secure the financing that they needed and with what has happen in the financial world since has made this even harder.
To me if they wanted wanted to do an Ethanahol Plant it would make more sense to get one that already had been constructed and shuttered, Bio-Diesel does not have as many plants, Louis Dreyfus has the largest Bio Diesel Plant in the US in Claypool IN and takes in last I heard approx 175 semi loads of beans a day or roughly the output of the State of Michigan of soy beans, and they are well financed !
My point that I want to make is would any of this be happening if it were not for the Government subsidies ? And would these Industries crash and burn without the subsidies ?
I will believe this when they start moving dirt, Louis Dreyfus already pays a premium for beans and Ultra Soy will have to ante up if they want to crush beans in the area.

http://www.chooseneindiana.com/news.asp ... d-facility

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/articl ... sel-plant/

Mike

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:20 am

a little off topic but I have a feeling that ethanol plants are just starting to become a real threat to gasoline. For years people saying that ethanol takes more money to make than energy it produces. Name me a fuel that doesnt do that? Plus corn soon will not be the primary bio material that could produce ethanol. (www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27050661/ns/us_news-environment/). I will admit even in college alot of the ASE mastercertified instructors believed the rumors that ethanol would eath through rubber fuel lines plus eat through plastic. Now since there is hard evidence that it doesnt ruin the fuel system it keeps it in better shape. Fuel pumps last longer, and plastics aren't tarnished from the gas additives. The gas line anti-freeze you by from wal mart is the corrosive methanol. As for the reduced mileage from using ethanol. That is true* somewhat. If you drive a flex fuel vehicle, the timing, the cam and ecm are programmed to run both fuels. If it were built to the correct specs and timing it could obtain the same or better mileage. Now that I have rolled off my soap box, I wish we had a bio diesel plant in bluffton.
8v71

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:35 am

I forgot to mention with the enzyme they have isolated, grass and other plant materail could be converted too.
8v71

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:10 am

Construction of a Maintenence building has started at the future site of what is to become the Bio Diesel Plant in South Milford, This was done to keep the Air Permit from expiring that had been granted to project.
Securing financing still seems to be the issue to get this project off the ground.

http://permits.air.idem.in.gov/24953f.pdf

Mike