% miles from me, and Times Union is where i hear about this?

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Rob
Veteran

% miles from me, and Times Union is where i hear about this?

Post by Rob » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:26 pm

http://www.timesuniononline.com/main.as ... leID=57698
guess i should have had scanner on!
Rob

Gary Berkey
Veteran

Re: % miles from me, and Times Union is where i hear about t

Post by Gary Berkey » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:37 am

Yeah, the circus people said the man fell off from one of the passenger cars; NS says he fell off the locomotive. Well, which is it? Also the staff writer wrote the circus train "chugged" through the county! Was it pulled by a steam locomotive? :roll: Sounds like a re-education in accurate journalism is in order! Gary

W_E_SMITH
Regular

Post by W_E_SMITH » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:44 am

I happened to have my scanner on when all of this was happening. I don't think any one knew what was going on.

NS said the train was stopped in Leesburg; the Milford police said it was in Milford. Milford police said "I'm looking at a train that has Ringling Brothers circus written all over the sides".

NS wasn't even sure what direction the train was going. They kept telling the train to get moving, the county Sheriffs kept saying to not move. It was kind of turning into a p****** match over who had jurisdiction.

Gary Berkey
Veteran

Post by Gary Berkey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:41 am

This is SERIOUS!!!! Norfolk Southern not knowing where the circus train is exactly at? Not knowing which direction it's heading? What kind of dispatching are we having here? Particularly when there's a bunch of people aboard a train! Not just a freight with a two-man crew. I'll bet that when the NS police showed up, they overruled the county mounties in a heartbeat. Sounds like a total breakdown in communication and coordination. Oh well, i guess even the best have a hiccup on occasion! A good thing nothing more happened than an apparent drunk falling off a train. Gary

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Well, after all, it was CIRCUS train. :roll: Why wouldn't you expect to hear a bunch of clowns running around? [groan] :wink:

Seriously, the dispatchers board doesn't give a foot by foot location of a train on a line. It only shows what block it is in and some blocks are miles long. Plus, if Im' not mistaken I hear the same voice (same dispatcher) working the New Castle (Fort Wayne to Cincinnati), Frankfort (State Line to Lafayette) and the Marion (Anderson to Elkhart) Districts while listening to the scanner. That's a lot of trains to keep straight.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:15 pm

On the Marion Branch the dispatcher can only see occupancy between the control points. So CP19 (Leesburg) and CP3 (South Goshen) leaves 16 miles of rail to guess where he's at unless contacting the crew by radio for an exact milepost.

Rob
Veteran

Post by Rob » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I thought Marion Dist. dispatcher had Chicago Dist. and CF&E? He cant have those and new castle and frankfort too can he??
Rob

Big Ed
Veteran

Post by Big Ed » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:41 pm

There's the Chicago District Desk which also handles the Marion Branch, CF&E and a tiny section down around Clare Yard in Cincy. The NCD Dispatcher also handles the Frankfort District from State Line westward to SP 233 which is yard limits in Frankfort. Extra board dispatchers are used to fill vacancies from the regulars, so you may hear the same voice on the NCD side one day, then hear that same voice on another territory the next depending on their qualifications. As they gain seniority they may also switch desks. I remember one who always used to dispatch the NCD side who I recently heard controlling the Huntington District.