Maumee & Western

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cptp1973
Veteran

Maumee & Western

Post by cptp1973 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:46 pm

I saw a photo of a Maumee & Western train in the 'Gallery' section of the November issue of TRAINS. The track in the photo appears to be rough at best. It made me wonder does the entire road look like this and are there any plans in the near future to repair it? Also, approximately how many trains a day do they run and at what speed? I imagine the speeds are probably very slow.

bnsf8000
Veteran

Re: Maumee & Western

Post by bnsf8000 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:44 pm

The track is probably worse than that on much of the MAW. No more than 1 train out and back between Defiance and Napoleon a day when they run. Don't look for much if any improvement in track conditions. Usually they only do MOW work when they have a derailment. Most money is kept in the owners pocket. Too bad. Speeds are 5mph or slower.

PW

cptp1973
Veteran

Post by cptp1973 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:42 pm

Thank you for the information. It is too bad that none of the profits go into improvements as increased speeds and reliability could likely result in more business.

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:39 pm

I was listening to a morning radio show a few weeks ago during a discussion with the Defiance Co Economic Development Director and he made mention that there was a company in discussion to purchase the MAW from it's current owner. He didn't have any more specifics, but for him to mention it on the radio, the talks must be pretty far along. The clip is on WONW's website, I think from early September or late August.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:00 pm

How do you put a value on such a property... scrap value seems logical.. might still be way too much money ! simply worn out !

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 pm

Notch 8 wrote:How do you put a value on such a property... scrap value seems logical.. might still be way too much money ! simply worn out !

Chemlawn? afterall, the only thing holding the rail in place is weeds right.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

John
Regular

Post by John » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:05 pm

I read over on Railroadfan that the new owner plans to move all of the Defiance power to Woodburn to return it to its owner before they bring their own power in. This would be the first train to roll between Defiance and Cecil in a looong time. Anyone else heard anything about this?

John

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Drove over to Defiance to catch the end of the MAW and to see what the game plan is.

The good news for the employees is that Pioneer is going to retain them !

The bad news is it is still a worn out Property.. I wish PIoneer the best with their new
endeavour. And all they would have to do is replace 10 RR ties and they would already
be 10 X better then the previous lack of Management.

If I were a betting person I would almost bet someone has money in the pipeline and
if I were to wager I would say there is loan money or grant money that could be
obtained to help resurrect this railroad back from the brink of extinction and besides
its a great economic tool for NW Ohio.

As far as getting the train to Woodburn that had ought to be an interesting adventure
as there is a derailment west of Cecil and east of Cecil is trees and parts were the rails
are so out of level that a person would be brave to traverse with a locomotive let alone
4 locomotives in sucession ! empty cars are hard enough to rerail..

I was told that CSX was supplying locomotives for a short term, I find it hard to believe
that CSX would allow their power to venture out on these rails but if you want to move
cars something must happen.. safe to say 6 axle power is out ?

#4 & #5 were moving card and # 16 was dead in the Yard and # 7 was sitting west of the
crossing in Cecil. The tracks in Defiance were full of cars..70-80 cars

Lafarge had a good number of tank cars sitting about the north side of their facility.
Attachments
DSC07844.JPG
DSC07866.JPG
#5 overtakes #4 don't worry it was a s l o w pass
DSC07815.JPG
Curtain call for the MAW
DSC07829.JPG
DSC07929.JPG
IMG_4291.JPG
IMG_4321.JPG
Hard to believe there was once a diamond here.. Cecil..
IMG_4303.JPG
Location on the CN Milemarker 80 home signal on the south side of the Diamond

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:35 pm

Mike:

Nice photos. I never find them moving when I’m there.

What company uses the covered hoppers?

Craig Berndt

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 pm

Johns Mansville has a facility just east of the Yard and west of the bridge and they recieve Borax and Soda Ash and i'm think ground slag. Whatever it is seems zero enviromental impact with what you see on the ground in the Yard, They have another facility with several tracks leading into it but recieves nothing via rail.