Pioneer Lines, Michigan Southern Railway Ohio Operations

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Notch 8
Veteran

Pioneer Lines, Michigan Southern Railway Ohio Operations

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:00 pm

I went to Defiance to see how the Pioneer's Shock and Awe Blitz is going. Its going ! All MAW power is cold and right now NS 5555 has the honors of being the lines first power ! They are coming in from the west end of the line and are dealing with the derailment that they were left with. as of dark the cars should have been rolled away from the derailment. the track had spread letting the cars drop to the ground, while the land around Cecil might be level the ROW is not ! I would say there is a 12" difference in the height of the rail.. so the low side gets hammered and then comes the issue of a lack of spikes in the remaining timber.
They have been dropping bundles of ties and they have a trailer load of gauge bars sitting in Defiance. Pioneer has 12+ Employees that they have brought in from other properties like Miss,ILL,MO and they have brought in a Contractor as well.
The road crew from MAW was manning the train moves today, I asked the Engineer if NS 5555 was more comfortable then the MAW Power and he just Smiled....
Once they get the track cleared there is another open gon sitting at the siding in Cecil and there is a good number of cars at Lafarge awaiting to be picked up also NS982563 which is a scale test car. Should be an interesting train once it is assembled because they will have # 7 in the lashup, #7 has been moved to the east side of the crossing in Cecil just west of the former diamond.

The NEW company is to be called...... Napoleon, Defiance & Western Railroad and they are hiring http://www.classifiedads.com/other_jobs ... 256047.htm
Attachments
DSC08111.JPG
Awaiting next assignment and a tow back home
DSC08149.JPG
Pioneer Equipment, A Div of Pioneer Lines
DSC08187.JPG
Gage Bars
DSC08155.JPG
Doing every 4th-5th tie
DSC08160.JPG
Deatrick Street Crossing looking back toward Defiance
DSC08343.JPG
Cecil OH looking west. rerailing empty open gons that MAW had for storage. rails spread cars dropped and have been there for the last week NS5555 has the duties of helping with rerailing the derailed cars
IMG_4373.JPG
Leaning cars back on the rails in Cecil
IMG_4379.JPG
Normal Conditions
IMG_4377.JPG
Wheels barely on the rail
IMG_4386.JPG
NS 5555 on the former 5th District, Out in the thick Bush !
IMG_4393.JPG
Good thing its a Jeep !
IMG_4314.JPG
Stranded Gon awaiting to be picked up near the grain elavator in Cecil OH

getridofintersttruck
Veteran

Re: Pioneer Lines, Michigan Southern Railway Ohio Operations

Post by getridofintersttruck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:19 am

I see they took the Maumee and Western sign off the station. They should have autioned the sign off to the railfans hanging around, would look good on my wall!

I filmed their last moves on the line as the MAW Thursday.

http://youtu.be/fzF0XZ6K6CE
http://youtu.be/N4u7COu2nns
http://youtu.be/fRZkiAxHatg

Plus a CSX YN2 SD40-2 passing the parked locomotives.
http://youtu.be/GJKG2wNvXfE

getridofintersttruck
Veteran

Post by getridofintersttruck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm

Here is one of the locomotives that will be heading to Defiance. Wish it was a long term loan because another of the locos that is heading to Defiance is also a GP38AC, keep them there so NS doesn't turn them into slugs!
Norfolk Southern 4148 GP38AC by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Norfolk Southern 4148 GP38AC by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Hey Notch 8

Thank you for a really good illustrated report.
I worked over the holidays at Paulding. The one
trip I had light, I went to Cecil and down to LaFarge.
Of interest to me is the railfan camp on the North side
of the old MAW, just East of where the tracks go under
new US24 at mp 2 on the highway.What a great trainwatching
spot, with the new lake and another cabin on the South side of
the main line.It reminds me of the camp on Sandpatch.Back in
the day.the Pullman open observation car would have passed
through there to and from Toledo.

Mark

in Fort Wayne

k9fon
Veteran

Post by k9fon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Give it time. We will see how everything pans out.. I hope for the best, but with Pioneer in control, who knows.. They scrapped a line down by Evansville that had online customers....

Jerett Godeke
Regular

Post by Jerett Godeke » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

5555 just went through Antwerp with #7 and the Scale car. but I had no ride to go see it. :evil:

B.C.

Post by B.C. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 pm

I caught this sitting just west of East Wayne Yard today around 4PM. I'm betting this is "new" power for the Napoleon, Defiance and Western. I couldn't find any reporting marks at least on the side facing the street but a quick Google image search confirmed that this is standard Pioneer paint.
Attachments
IMG_0447.2.jpg

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm

Looks similar to the MSO units that went to Sturgis a few years ago.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm

I photographed that unit today too. I thought that it was strictly against the rules to move a piece of equipment without visable reporting marks or a railroad name. What gives?
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Great pics and video guys! Hope they can make a go of it and its nice to see there already working on the physical plant. Ken 8)

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:28 pm

The new power has arrived a former Santa Fe GP 20 new paint new wheels no smoke and sounded great. They are still running # 5 the other two MAW loco's are sitting and #7 is at Woodburn, My guess is the CSX won't accept the former MAW power for interchange. just a guess ! They have cleared many cars out of the Deiance tard track and pushed them west of the diamond all the way down to GT Tech. and they have cleared the ROW west of Defiance as well. Pioneer seems to have their hands full lets see how long they Fight the Black Swamp !
Attachments
DSC08836.JPG
DSC08968.JPG
Santa Fe Lashup
DSC09033.JPG
Its going to get rebuilt.. Not sure why they don't remove the sinkhole first.. They have rail and ties
DSC08632.JPG
NS 5555 with 2 tank cars headed toward Lafarge only problem is its difficult to keep the cars on track
DSC08646.JPG
Quick grab the tie bars
DSC08678.JPG

B.C.

Post by B.C. » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Looks like 1606 (which is still sitting in the yard) has a new friend in 1603 which was sitting at the east end of E Wayne Yard this afternoon. Same paint scheme and no reporting marks that I could see although its paint job looked a bit better. As much as I hate it when people post news with no pics, I wasn't able to grab a decent picture but it's the same type of locomotive and paint scheme as my picture above. I guess these two units will be working the west end of the ND&W for the time being.