Van Wert Supersite

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

bnsf8000
Veteran

Re: Van Wert Supersite

Post by bnsf8000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:24 pm

There is talk of CF&E and a contractor that they will upgrade the main track from the diamond clear out to Bonnewitz Ave. including the track in the NE quadrant plus a new diamond. That should take care of the current slow order in town on the CF&E mainline. Plus, there are grade crossings to be resurfaced in town including gates and some with signals and gates. I'm sure the W. Main project will get new gates also on the old Cincinnati Northern. It looks like quite a bit of money will be spent in Van Wert on the railroad overall. 8)

PW

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 pm

They'll fix everything BUT that crappy Washington Street crossing. If they could ever figure out how to do it and do it right now that would be a blessing. Too bad they couldn't put a leg of the wye in the NW corner but ESTRY is under ground there.

JW

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:43 pm

JW, I agree on the Washington St. crossing. I heard before that the curve from the west is the problem for the Washington St. crossing. I believe one rail is higher than the other and that supposedly is the problem. I have no idea myself. It would be great if they could put in a NW quadrant track because now would be the time if they do from the diamond north. So, ESTRY is still hanging on one way or another. :lol:

PW

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:21 am

PW, The curve is super elevated but not as much as it was in the PRR days. Washington is on the East end of it and Jefferson is in the middle. Sit on the North side and look at the difference in rail height on each.The problem is the truck traffic keeps breaking it down on Washington.

JW

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm

bnsf8000 wrote:There is talk of CF&E and a contractor that they will upgrade the main track from the diamond clear out to Bonnewitz Ave. including the track in the NE quadrant plus a new diamond. That should take care of the current slow order in town on the CF&E mainline. Plus, there are grade crossings to be resurfaced in town including gates and some with signals and gates. I'm sure the W. Main project will get new gates also on the old Cincinnati Northern. It looks like quite a bit of money will be spent in Van Wert on the railroad overall. 8)

PW
PW, I think the connector track is fine. It's everything North of there that could use an upgrade. CSX added some ties and ballast before they spun it off to RA, but what it really needs is rebuilt from roadbed on up. There's no drainage and the ties are pumping mud already. The #105 rail is not in to bad of shape either. But on the same note if your going to "Sell" the idea of a state of the art Supersite then you might as well upgrade to a heavier rail section from the beginning.
JW wrote:They'll fix everything BUT that crappy Washington Street crossing. If they could ever figure out how to do it and do it right now that would be a blessing. Too bad they couldn't put a leg of the wye in the NW corner but ESTRY is under ground there.

JW
JW, you are right. That patch job RA did just so the peony fest could go on was a waste of money. That crossing takes a pounding and they have tried every type of crossing known to man there. Ken 8)

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Hopefully the Crossing on 127 for SuperSite will hold up.With a 45MPH speed limit it is going to take a heck of a pounding. With truckers hitting the brakes there for the red light it will pull the track South.You got to look at all the downfalls in its location.

Washington Street crossing needs dug out,drainage installed,new ballast,plus get rid of those wooden ties and replace with either concrete or metal ties with bolts and clips. We used these in Germany over 40 years ago on Depot and never had a bit of trouble with tank retrievers with load running over them.

JW

bnsf8000
Veteran

Post by bnsf8000 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:07 am

I agree the connector track is in pretty good shape, but that is what they told to my friend when he was out at the site. We don't think it needs it either. As far as the Washington St. crossing goes that heavy truck traffic will always be the problem. JW, that new crossing for the supersite is going to take a pounding. The trucks slowing down SB is going to test it quite a bit. Good point.

PW

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Drove by the Site today and from the looks of it, most of the rail has been laid. The exceptions are the Bonnewitz Ave, US127 and the new town creek bridge crossings. I haven't seen any bridge timbers around so I'm kind of curious as to what kind of deck will be on the new bridge. Ballast work will soon follow on the rest of the line I'm sure. PW I did see some new paint marks on the former CN trackage. So it looks like they will be replacing the ties CSX missed. Ken 8)
Attachments
Supersite 7 010.JPG
Thermit welded rail for the US 127 crossing.
Supersite 7 011.JPG
Spent crucible from the welding process.
Supersite 7 013.JPG
As JW stated proper drainage is essential to the life of a crossing, and here's a shot of the crossing panels and drain tile.
Supersite 7 007.JPG
Prepping for the field welding of the Bonnewitz Ave crossing.
Supersite 7 008.JPG
80ft lengths so there no joints in the crossing.
Supersite 7 012.JPG
Some more parts for the new turnout.
Last edited by h2466 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:45 pm

Part 2 8)
Attachments
Supersite 7 015.JPG
Really?
Supersite 7 014.JPG
West looking over the new turnout.
Supersite 7 016.JPG
The new turnout is taking shaping.
Supersite 7 020.JPG
North from the US 30 overpass.
Supersite 7 021.JPG
And looking South under the US 30 overpass.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:20 pm

I drove past the site tonight to see how things are coming along. Here's some pictures of the US 127 crossing and the turnout. Ken 8)
Attachments
Supersite 8 001.JPG
The new US 127 crossing.
Supersite 8 009.JPG
For some reason the track approaching US 127 looks like its higher than the crossing.
Supersite 8 007.JPG
Self guarded #8 frog.
Supersite 8 005.JPG
Rail bender at the turnout.
Supersite 8 004.JPG
Allot of pieces and work go into making a turnout.
Supersite 8 010.JPG
Material cart. Look at the metal shavings under the cart's wheel, there from drilling new bolt hole's in the rail.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:17 pm

Todays update, They are flying thru the US 127 crossing work! The rail for the Bonnewitz ave. has also been welded together so I'd guess that crossing is next on the list. I didn't get to check out the new bridge yet to see if they started putting down the bridge timbers yet. Ken 8)
Attachments
Super site 9 003.JPG
The new US 127 crossing. Lacking only crossing protection and the highway striping.
Super site 9 005.JPG
This ballast regulator has been on site from day one of the track laying. The heavy steel plates are for the Hi-rail dump truck to get on and off the track.
Super site 9 008.JPG
Closer look at the new crossing.
Super site 9 006.JPG
I'd imagine this pair will start lining, lifting and tamping the track between here and Marsh Rd. If you look close now you can see that they have raised the track after tamping, getting rid of that low spot I mentioned in midweeks post.
Super site 9 002.JPG
This tie inserter was also brought in this week for the tie replacement on the former CN section of the line.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:45 am

Part 2. 8)
Attachments
Super site 9 001.JPG
The rail for the Bonnewitz ave. crossing.
Supersite 10 002.JPG
They've added the switch points to the turnout since mid weeks report.
Supersite 10 003.JPG
Another view.
Supersite 10 004.JPG
Looking West toward over the turnout.
Supersite 10 007.JPG
I was reading in the VW Independent that the crossing is going to be opened up Monday. But some people just can't wait.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Well they have started on the rebuilding of the Bonnewitz Ave. crossing today. What I found odd was they built a shoe fly around the crossing site to let traffic pass. Never see that trick before. Ken 8)
Attachments
Suppersite 11 001.JPG
Looking North towards the crossing. The former CN main is to my right.
Suppersite 11 002.JPG
If you look close just past the orange barrels the shoe fly is between them and the man holding the grade stick. If you look over the bucket of the frontend loader you can see son guys applying rail anchors to the track.
Suppersite 11 003.JPG
Looking South. You can see they've dug up the old crossings roadbed and are building it back up with fresh stone
Suppersite 11 004.JPG
Adding another layer of stone. They use a roller to compact the stone between lifts.
Last edited by h2466 on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:13 pm

A few pictures of the Bonnewitz Ave. crossing. I would think they would start to pave the approaches, weather permitting tomorrow. Ken 8)
Attachments
Supersite 11 001.JPG
I'm on the shoe fly looking North over the new crossing. If you look close at the end of the precast panels you will see the numbers 133-141. These are the rail weights that these panels will fit.
Supersite 11 002.JPG
Another view.
Supersite 11 003.JPG
And looking South. A few more pieces of rail and they will be connected to the former CN. You can also see the shoe fly past the new crossing. Another thing is that you can see that they used 10' ties under the crossing so that the field panels would have full support under them.
Supersite 11 004.JPG
Shaping up.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Well they've started to ballast the track from Bonnewitz ave. North today. Ken 8)
Attachments
Supersite 13 001.JPG
I think there's still track under there.
Supersite 13 002.JPG
There using a front end loader instead of the dump truck to distribute the ballast.
Supersite 13 003.JPG
Can't wait to see the ballast regulator go through this!