What is going on with the bridge abutments on Broadway?

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

What is going on with the bridge abutments on Broadway?

Post by Hotbox » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:24 pm

If you look at the concrete bridge abutments for the NS line where it crosses over Broadway they are marked with a yellow 2" diamond, and red lettering reading C|P.

Red lettering reading identically has appeared on the CF&E abutments by the GE plant, as well.

Are we getting a facelift anytime soon?

rrnut282
Veteran

Re: What is going on with the bridge abutments on Broadway?

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:43 pm

Interesting. Two different railroads involved. The only common denominator is the City of Fort Wayne. Other overpasses have been refaced in the last 10 years, so maybe it's their turn. Someone else has better access to this information than I do. Hint hint.
rrnut282
(Mike)

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:31 pm

I don't know what the marks mean. It's not a city project.

Time for a call to CF&E?

Craig

Jerett Godeke
Regular

Post by Jerett Godeke » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:18 pm

I was watching the State of the City address a few days ago and there apparently is a project for the Broadway Bridge. There was also a bridge going to be painted for the "Elevate Fort Wayne". But I'm not sure if either will happen. :|

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 pm

This is the mark on the Harrison St. underpass of the PRR. I found the marks on at least four underpasses. The green stripes are in the street inlets as well as the abutment. I don't know what C B separated by the vertical line means.

The visual improvements that the Mayor mentioned will be completed, but those are not related to the marks.

Craig
Attachments
Harrison St Underpass Marks 02-20-14.jpg

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:53 am

cjberndt wrote:This is the mark on the Harrison St. underpass of the PRR. I found the marks on at least four underpasses. The green stripes are in the street inlets as well as the abutment. I don't know what C B separated by the vertical line means.

The visual improvements that the Mayor mentioned will be completed, but those are not related to the marks.

Craig
C/B means Catch Basin. Ken 8)

indrr
Regular

Post by indrr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:57 am

h2466 wrote:C/B means Catch Basin. Ken 8)
And you can see that there is one directly below the "C/B", also marked with green paint.

Seeing as the inlet looks to have been cleared, I wonder if the marks are just for the street dept to know where the inlets are. They're probably clearing snow away from the inlets to prevent flooding, and underpasses are probably high on the list to clear since they're prone to flooding.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Those are all good ideas, having a great probability of being right.

But isn't it sad then, that our 'authorities' are going around vandalizing the town like a bunch of school age taggers?

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:41 am

Hopefully, they were using marking paint (like I use on the job). It fades in about a year.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Wonder how they would feel if someone "dressed up" the old W+D store building with some "temporary" decorum? My guess is that "temporary" wouldn't appease them. :evil:

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:22 pm

The yellow reflectors seem to be a little over the top for just a catch basin cleaning project. Wonder if there is more to it?

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:09 pm

The yellow diamond may be a permanent marker of the location of catchbasins. They tend to disappear under snow and ice making them hard to find when you need to.

INDOT has similar markers along highways. Blue lane markers (pavement reflectors) mark the location of fire hydrants. Blue delineators (sign reflectors) mark culverts.

NS puts white posts at bridges to remind conductors to stop walking beside the train. I think they're kind of ugly, but once I knew what they were, I don't mind them as much.
rrnut282
(Mike)

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:48 pm

Does that mean that they are going to have to go around periodically and refresh the paint so that the ever changing street crew personnel will know what the reflectors stand for? :twisted:

Regarding the white posts, I notice they are on one side of the tracks only. What happens if the conductor is walking the train on the other side?