Special train tomorrow through Noble and Dekalb counties

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

matt
Veteran

Special train tomorrow through Noble and Dekalb counties

Post by matt » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:45 am

KENDALLVILLE — A special train with 36 restored passenger cars from the 1930s to 1950s will pass through Noble and DeKalb counties Thursday.
The train is expected arrive in the city about noon.

The American Association of Private Railroad Car Owners (AAPRCO) Pine Tree Limited special train is scheduled to depart Chicago Thursday morning, traveling east on Norfolk Southern’s former New York Central line. The train will travel 30-40 mph, and pass through Ligonier, Kendallville, Corunna, Waterloo and Butler.

(From Kendallville News-Sun 9/17/14)

JW
Veteran

Re: Special train tomorrow through Noble and Dekalb counties

Post by JW » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:38 am

Eastbound Passenger extra just cleared Chesterton,IN at 12:34 ET.

JW

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:55 pm

And here it is.. I had booked meetings in Columbia City and Mishawaka and Homer MI and no chance to chase such a train today, I was told the train would pass our area at approx. 12:30 so I took my appointment in Mishawaka and was headed to Homer MI @ 1:30 when I noticed a train and ten seen what looked like a Dome Car ! Train was running way late and I was able to catch the train on the west side of the NS Yard in Elkhart IN. Rather impressive to see in person especially at track speed... That train was doing at least 60 mph east of Elkhart so I'm not sure about the 30-40 mph statement that was in the paper

Train is to go onto the INER later tonite and will tour the INER on Friday, train to park overnight in the Yard in Hillsdale Michigan
Attachments
IMG_6393.jpg
IMG_6396.jpg
IMG_6397.jpg
IMG_6399.jpg
IMG_6400.jpg
IMG_6401.jpg
IMG_6402.jpg
IMG_6403.jpg
IMG_6405.jpg
IMG_6406.jpg
IMG_6407.jpg
IMG_6408.jpg
IMG_6409.jpg
IMG_6410.jpg
IMG_6411.jpg
IMG_6412.jpg
IMG_6413.jpg
IMG_6414.jpg
IMG_6415.jpg
IMG_6416.jpg
IMG_6417.jpg
IMG_6418.jpg
IMG_6420.jpg
IMG_6421.jpg
IMG_6422.jpg
IMG_6423.jpg
IMG_6419.jpg
left out of set accidently

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:11 pm

nice. Time to buy a lottery ticket. :lol:
rrnut282
(Mike)

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 pm

I would like to know the railroad price tag on this trip. Sure is overkill on power. Where all they going before returning home?

JW

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:26 pm

AAPRCO 2014 PINE TREE LIMITED SPECIAL TRAIN & CONVENTION
CINCINNATI –CHICAGO – PORTLAND, ME – CHICAGO – CINCINNATI
SEPTEMBER 14 – SEPTEMBER 28, 2014
The Observatory – The Birch Grove – The Oliver Hazard Perry
Cincinnati Railway Company is pleased to announce that the 37th annual convention will be held in Portland,
Maine on Monday, September 22nd through Wednesday, September 23rd, 2014. Our convention special train,
The Pine Tree Limited, will travel over the old Nickel Plate Route, the former Erie Railroad, the ex-
Lackawanna route, and the ex-Boston & Maine route. The following itinerary represents the current plan, which
is subject to approval by the host railroads.
Our Cincinnati based cars will arrive in Chicago on Monday, September 15th. On September 17th, the
convention train will be assembled. The Pine Tree Limited will depart early on Thursday, September 18, and
travel to Cleveland, Ohio over the former Nickel Plate Railroad. After overnighting in Cleveland, we will
continue on the old Nickel Plate Route to Buffalo. There we will pick up the former Erie Railroad now the
Norfolk Southern's Southern Tier line to Binghamton, NY where we will park for the night.
From Binghamton to Syracuse we will be on the New York, Susquehanna & Western (the ex-Lackawanna
route.) From Syracuse to Rotterdam, NY we will be on the former New York Central now CSX and Amtrak
Route. From Rotterdam east to Portland we will be on Pan Am (the ex- Boston & Maine.) We arrive in Portland
on Sunday September 21. Convention activities, including exciting excursions, informational seminars and
meetings, car parties and banquet, will run from September 22 – 25. The headquarters hotel is the recently
refurbished Westin Portland Harborview.
Thursday September 25, The Pine Tree Limited takes Pan Am Railways to Worcester MA, where we will
switch to the former New York Central, Boston & Albany for the final miles to Springfield MA, where the
special train will terminate. Our Cincinnati based cars will connect to the westbound Lakeshore on Friday,
September 26th into Chicago and onto Cincinnati for arrival on Sunday, September 28.
Please make your plans to join us on this rare and spectacular scenic special train and attend the convention in
beautiful Portland, ME. Space on this extravagant excursion is limited and will sell fast, so please consider
joining us for a truly spectacular scenic trip.
Brian Collins
Harry Davis
The Cincinnati Railway Company
Birch Grove, Inc.
ITINERARY: (SUBJECT TO UPDATES)
Pricing follows the itinerary.
Sunday, September 14, 2014
8:00 pm- 10:00 pm: Board rail cars at McCullough Yard in Norwood. Enjoy Bon Voyage cocktails.
11:00 pm: Approximate time – the engine will hook up and pull us to Cincinnati Union Terminal.
Monday, September 15 (B)
1:23 am: Depart Cincinnati behind Amtrak’s Cardinal
Breakfast will be served in transit.
10:05am: Arrive in Chicago, IL. The rest of the day and evening is yours to spend as you like.
Tuesday, September 16 (B)
Breakfast will be served onboard. The rest of the day and evening is yours to spend as you like.
Wednesday, September 17 (B)
Breakfast will be served onboard. The rest of the day and evening is yours to spend as you like.
AAPRCO will be arranging the Special Train during the day.
Thursday, September 18 (B,L,D) Anyone staying on one of the special train cars or at the convention hotel must be registered
for the convention.
Early AM: Special train departs Chicago
PM: arrive and overnight in Cleveland, OH
All meals provided while traveling
Friday, September 19 (B,L,D)
Depart Cleveland, OH and travel to Binghamton, NY for overnight
Saturday, September 20 (B,L,D)
Depart Binghamton and travel to Syracuse, NY for overnight
Sunday, September 21 (B)
Arrive Portland, ME
Monday, September 22 – Wednesday, September 24 Convention (CB X3)
Continental Breakfast will be provided each day
Thursday, September 25 (B,L,D)
Special Train departs Portland, ME and heads to Springfield, MA where it will terminate.
Friday, September 26 (B, L,D)
2:15 pm: Depart Springfield, MA
Saturday, September 27 (B,D)
9:45 am: Arrive Chicago, IL.
5:45 pm: Depart Chicago, IL behind #50 Cardinal
Continental Breakfast and Dinner will be served onboard.
Sunday, September 28 (CB,
3:17 am: Arrive Cincinnati Union Terminal
7:00am: Approximate arrival back to McCullough Rail yard
Continental breakfast will be served. All passengers must disembark by 10:00am.
Key: CB=Continental Breakfast, B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner
DESCRIPTION OF ROOM AVAILABILITY/ACCOMODATIONS:
(Guest booking passage on the Birch Grove will have access to the Observatory
Dome car for lounging and all meal service while in route.)
BIRCH GROVE:
QUAD SUITE – Two double bedrooms on suite
DOUBLE BEDROOM -
Accommodations include two 6’ 4” upper and lower twin beds that are stored in the wall during the day to create a private lounge and
pulled down at night for sleeping. These rooms each contain a private toilet with sink and share the public shower with the other
Birch Grove bedrooms and roomettes.
ROOMETTE -
Accommodations include a 6’ 4” twin bed that is stored in the wall during the day to create a private room and pulled down at night
for sleeping. Some of these roomettes contain a private toilet and share the public shower with the other Birch Grove bedrooms and
roomettes.
THE OBSERVATORY:
MASTER BEDROOM AAccommodations
include a queen sized bed and a private shower & toilet.
BEDROOM B OR CAccommodations
include a full sized double bed, in-room sink and a Jack and Jill bathroom, shared with bedroom C, with toilet and
shower.
Pictures of the above luxury railcars can be found on our website at www.cincinnatirailway.com under the tab OUR CARS.
PRICING: ROUNDTRIP CINCINNATI TO CINCINNATI*:
OLIVER HAZARD PERRY: $38,500.00 to charter entire car, private chef (will not be sold by the room-no access to
Observatory nor Birch Grove)
BIRCH GROVE:
$22,000 Quad Suite - two double bedrooms on suite
$12,000 Double Bedroom
$6,000 Roomette
THE OBSERVATORY:
$12,750 Master Bedroom
$12,500 Double Bedroom
*passengers may board in Cincinnati or Chicago. They may de-board in Portland, Springfield, Chicago, or Cincinnati. There is no
discount for boarding or de-boarding in route.
To reserve your space please call: 513-791-RAIL (7245) or send an email to: vicky@CincinnatiRailway.com
The Cincinnati Railway Company reserves the right to cancel this trip should it not reach 80% occupancy

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:42 pm

JW wrote:I would like to know the railroad price tag on this trip. Sure is overkill on power. Where all they going before returning home?

JW
It is required protection so if they were to loose or have to sit out power. All three locomotives were online. From the looks of it, It appears the Cliental can afford the extra power..

JW
Veteran

Post by JW » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:56 pm

Notch 8 wrote:
JW wrote:I would like to know the railroad price tag on this trip. Sure is overkill on power. Where all they going before returning home?

JW
It is required protection so if they were to loose or have to sit out power. All three locomotives were online. From the looks of it, It appears the Cliental can afford the extra power..
What I really like to know is the railroad(s) charge for running this train. Looks like the New Haven wreck screwed up the routing.

JW

Greg46m
Site Admin

Post by Greg46m » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:16 pm

JW
I bet with the weight of all those heavy weight cars and the requirements to keep all the AC/Heat going in that many cars, it's probably powered just about right.
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster