New Castle District Project

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Wayne Gest
Veteran

New Castle District Project

Post by Wayne Gest » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:53 pm

From Channel 21's website:

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WPTA21) - About 60 miles of track connecting Fort Wayne and Muncie will undergo upgrades over the weeks ahead in what the owner calls a "well-coordinated blitz."

Norfolk Southern crews will remove old rail and install nearly 30 miles of new continuous line as part of that project.

The work begins in Muncie on Sept. 8, with the crews making their way north as portions of the upgrade are completed.

They are expected to be in Muncie on Sept. 21, though problematic weather could cause delays.

In addition to the line improvements, railroad crossings that are worn or damaged will be addressed.

At various times, crossings may be closed to allow for construction work.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Re: New Castle District Project

Post by Bob Durnell » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:24 pm

I wonder if any trains will get rerouted to the Marion Branch while this work is underway?
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:22 am

It's too bad they haven't chosen to double track between the Kingsland bottleneck and Baer Field while they are at it. Must not be the thorn in NS's side that some thought it to be?

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:36 pm

8) If you watch the Elkhart railcam, you will note that M.B. traffic has picked up.

Bob Durnell
Veteran

Post by Bob Durnell » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:29 pm

For a LONG time I have wanted to take a day and go to Wabash and try to catch a BIG freight come northbound up the hill. This spring, I caught a big manifest with a DPU on it northbound at Marion. After it was too late, I asked myself why the heck I didn't take off and beat it Wabash..... :oops: :cry: :x
If my opinions offend you, you should see the ones I keep to myself........