Norther Indiana Passenger Rail

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Hotbox
Veteran

Norther Indiana Passenger Rail

Post by Hotbox » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:42 pm

The latest story at the Wane-15 website says that the routing being promoted at present is Chicago-Toledo...via Ft Wayne. With claimed additional benefit of serving Warsaw, Plymouth, Valparaiso, and Gary.

But there is already passenger service between Chicago and Toledo, so I guess they are depending upon there being enough demand for travel between the intermediary cities, to justify the service? Anyone think that is likely to support itself?

And while the route west of Ft Wayne is fairly obvious, what routing between Ft Wayne and Toledo? Up the NS to Butler, and then east on the NS mainline?

The whole idea seems kinda far fetched to me. I mean good for them for trying, but it just seems doubtful to me that sufficient demand exists to cover the costs, considering the endpoints are already connected.

Steve Bryan
Veteran

Re: Norther Indiana Passenger Rail

Post by Steve Bryan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:06 am

I like the idea but I agree with you that it is very unlikely to happen. Without a massive infusion of cash to cover the track improvements necessary west of Fort Wayne, it won't happen (at least in my lifetime). East of Fort Wayne, the most direct route is the NS Detroit line and I believe that is very busy. We are seeing how NS and CSX are fighting the gulf coast route from New Orleans so one would have to expect more of that.

I will note that I have been known to be wrong on rare occasion in the past and could be surprised. Alas, I don't think this is one of those occasions.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:50 am

It's hard to not feel like a bad guy, just for trying to be realistic. But I'm forced to ponder what interest is really being served if such an operation did come to fruition?

The Amtrak schedule in Waterloo is horrible (imo), so I guess that "more convenient service" at hours that it's likely to be useful, might be a selling point.

But unique service endpoints seems crucial to me, which is why I thought the Columbus(and beyond) gameplan had merit. But it was abundantly clear that the Buckeye part of the equation was never as enthusiastic as the Hoosier component.

What I do NOT want to see is some abortive attempt that accomplishes little besides landing a new tax on the books that will never go away even after the trains do. That is foremost on my mind....

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:31 pm

:? I have a tendency to agree w/you Steve. I'll believe it when I see it....

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:25 pm

:?: The boys up in Elkhart think to seem some money might be coming here to bring the Cap Limited back through here.
We'll see my pretties if they are correct-only the shadow knows! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:11 pm

To misquote bugs bunny, “I should have made a left turn at Tolleston.”
rrnut282
(Mike)