Bluffton not hapyy with ns

Discuss anything news-worthy from the area.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

dbrackin7
Veteran

Bluffton not hapyy with ns

Post by dbrackin7 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

On the news banners website, they spoke of talking to legislature about trying to penalize railroads more for blocking the tracks. Moslty norfolk southern, they spoke of here recently a train was stopped blocking crossings for two hours while waiting on a crew change. I myself would rather wait for a crew change than push a crew more than twelve hours at a time. The same goes for truck drivers. I think most of the town is just to lazy to take a detour, yes it is an inconvienience but its avoidable by taking an alternate route.
8v71

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:50 pm

Well in most cases plans are put in place ahead of time to either cut crossings or hold back. I've been in a few cases where I had to block crossings when I hogged because something came up. Prime example, DS lined us up at Hugo, talked us around behind a dead train. Didn't tell us, so we pulled up tight to clear the interlocking at Hugo. We had 4 hours, but didn't know the train ahead was crewless. We were on Brooklyn I believe is the name and had it blocked for 2+ hours. Finally they sent a yard crew to pull that train to Union and let us pull to Mike and die. We had no way of cutting the crossing, so it stayed blocked until we moved. That was back in 97' I believe.

I know it happens, but for the most part, not on purpose. Kingsland and Camden are two other examples of the crossing being blocked one to many times.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

D.L.
Veteran

Wells Co. sheriff should the law

Post by D.L. » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Ya know in Wells co., they do STRANGE things. :lol:

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:14 pm

You can read what he is talking about here:
http://www.news-banner.com/index/news-app/story.7585

If you read the court docket in the "News-Banner" just about every week it lists the date, time and crossing that NS blocked and the fine. Sometimes there are multiple listings. :oops: Listening in, you can hear them making plans so it doesn't happen, but we all know it doesn't always go according to plan.
rrnut282
(Mike)

rrnut282
Veteran

Wells County

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:18 pm

D.L. wrote:Ya know in Wells co., they do STRANGE things. :lol:
Like what? :?:
rrnut282
(Mike)

Greg46m
Site Admin

Re: Wells County

Post by Greg46m » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:44 pm

rrnut282 wrote:
Like what? :?:
Allow people like DL into the county
Greg Lavoie - Webmaster

Mark
Veteran

Post by Mark » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:13 pm

It's a free county, ya no.

But, lets remember the cost.
After William Wells was ambushed and shot
by Indians, they decapitated his body and
cut his heart out.

Mark

Remembering the Greenville Treaty Line.
It's a mighty fine line.

Funitsforever
Veteran

Re: Wells Co. sheriff should the law

Post by Funitsforever » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 pm

such as?

joemcspadden
Veteran

Post by joemcspadden » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I have a hunch we are only getting one side of the story here. There is a
7500 ft. siding on the Marion Branch just north of Speicherville in Wabash
County. It is crossed by two lightly-travelled county roads, one near each
end of the siding.

NS is very conscientious about trying never to block both sidings-even for a short time, and crews will cut one or both of these crossings at the drop of a hat if they are going to be blocked for any length of time at all.

On the Huntington District, they are extremely careful in Peru to keep blockages at an absolute minimum.

The picture the Wells County Sheriff is trying to paint of NS as totally insensitive to the community just doesn't ring true with me.

Regards, Joe McSpadden
lifelong railfan in Wabash, IN

Funitsforever
Veteran

Post by Funitsforever » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:26 pm

do you really think the NS cares if a crossing is blocked or not?

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Scott wrote:do you really think the NS cares if a crossing is blocked or not?
No, NS does not care enough to even know they do not care about blocking crossings. The sherriff is using the only tool available to him to get the crossings clear. Big corporations only care about 1 thing, and that is profit.
When, eventually, an accountant sees a particular division losing money from being fined, slow car turn around,etc. Then, "somebody" will be replaced.
Unfortunately for us, this takes a long time, and the faceless A-hole that cannot run his job correctly is never named. Meanwhile people are waiting unnecessarily on trains.

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Its funny when the cops threaten to throw ya in jail for it. Then you explain "go ahead, I will just set there and earn money and it will take another 3 hours for a new crew to come and get the train and move it." Typically shuts them up.

Isn't Kingsland in Wells County? I know the crossing in the siding at Kingsland has a Always cut policy. There is a guy that lives just west of the crossing that always use to call it in. Several of us use to be very slow about cutting it on purpose.

I guess the Sheriff in Wells County needs something to do.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Lately they have been getting lax about cutting the crossing or slow enough that the NIMBY has time to call the sheriff and a deputy watches long enough to issue a citation. Also in the same paper as the article I posted a link to was a fine for another blocked road crossing.

This morning 235 sat at Silver St for over 90 minutes. It must have been blocking CR200S because the dispatcher came on and said to "start moving slowly, they called about the crossing".

This issue came to a head several years ago (before the CR buy-out) because NS said when train counts get up around 60/day they would hire a crossing attendant (that's what the paper called it :lol: ) at 700N to cut trains that were stopping in Kingsland siding. 60/day would justify double-tracking the line and there would be no need for a siding. It pacified the masses and put a smile on my face. :wink:
rrnut282
(Mike)

CIOR
Veteran

Post by CIOR » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Mike, I recall all the crap around Bluffton (Wells Co.) pre Conrail deal. I was working the Muncie Relief pool and it never failed that we would rot at Kingsland because we were a fairly fresh crew and normally on the 444. So, cutting the crossing got to be the norm.

Setting at Silver Street, has this become a new practice? I only recall ever setting there once and it was because of traffic ahead. I did relieve a few trains there that couldn't make it to Kingsland. Not many.

Had a deputy set in his car one evening and watch me walk back to cut the crossing at Kingsland. Very funny, he said they were tired of the guy calling it in since he had 2 other ways to get out.
The C&O of Indiana
www.candoindiana.com

Funitsforever
Veteran

Post by Funitsforever » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:45 pm

I do recall there was an order to cut Kingsland if stopped there. However I dont know how long the order remained in effect.