The B&O in Lima Ohio

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Post Reply
User avatar
Notch 8
Veteran
Posts: 1448
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:48 pm

The B&O in Lima Ohio

Post by Notch 8 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:31 am

Streamlined and pretty in Lima Ohio where we catch a northbound mail train or not much of a "Passenger Train" is this a sencond section of the "Cincinnatian" ?

The Baltimore & Ohio's class P-7 Pacifics were known as the "Presidents." Delivered by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1927, they originally bore the names of the first 21 Presidents of the United States (the two Adamses sharing one locomotive). They had 80-inch drivers, 27x28-inch cylinders, and 230 p.s.i. of boiler pressure. Their grate area totaled 90 square feet, and they produced 50,000 pounds of tractive effort. In the late 1930s No. 5304, President Monroe, was streamlined for service on the B&O's Royal Blue between Washington and New York. The bullet-nosed streamlining by famed designer Otto Kuhler became the model for a popular American Flyer toy electric train.

After World War II the B&O streamlined Nos. 5301-5304 for service on the Cincinnatian between Washington and Cincinnati; the train was shifted to a Detroit-Cincinnati run in 1950. The Cincinnatian streamlining could be considered more tasteful than the more pronounced "bullet" style of the Royal Blue. As rebuilt, No. 5304 was reclassified P-7d; other modifications included an enlargement of the evaporative heating surface to 3845 square feet, with 950 square feet of superheating surface. The locomotive weight was 316,000 pounds. No. 5304 was displayed at the Chicago Railroad Fair in 1948. In this picture the locomotive was named for the former President Monroe

The Cincinnatian was a named passenger train operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O). The B&O inaugurated service on January 19, 1947, with service between Baltimore, Maryland and Cincinnati, Ohio, essentially a truncated route of the National Limited which operated between Jersey City, New Jersey and St. Louis. This route was unsuccessful due to the thin population along the line, and the route was changed on June 25, 1950 from a Baltimore-Cincinnati daylight schedule to a Detroit-Cincinnati daylight schedule where it would remain until the creation of Amtrak. On this new routing, the train sets became successful almost from the beginning. The Cincinnatian on this route used many mail cars, which contributed to the route's success.

History

The Cincinnatian is most famed for its original dedicated equipment, rebuilt in the B&O Mount Clare Shops. The design work was done by Olive Dennis, a pioneering civil engineer employed by the railroad and appointed by Daniel Willard to special position in charge of such work for passenger service. Four P-7 "president" class Pacific locomotives (5301-5304) were rebuilt and shrouded as class P-7d, with roller bearings on all axles and larger six-axle tenders. Older heavyweight passenger cars were completely stripped and rebuilt as streamliners. The livery used the blue and gray scheme designed by Otto Kuhler, which Dennis laid on the engine and tender in a pattern of horizontal stripes and angled lines.

In 1970 and 1971, the Cincinnatian was the only B&O train on the Cincinnati-Detroit route. The trains no longer offered checked baggage, as passengers had to carry their own luggage on and off the coaches. Service ended on April 30, 1971. When Amtrak took over service on May 1, 1971, it did not continue operating any of B&O's remaining passenger routes.
Attachments
Lima OH.jpg

Post Reply