765's Schedule to C.V.L.

Feel free to post any upcoming events for your local group/association here.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

scorpionskate
Regular

Re: 765's Schedule to C.V.L.

Post by scorpionskate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:28 am

Well, if there was any doubt about the timing of the move you should turn on Indiana News Center channel 21 or 33 this morning.

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:09 am

Let me guess, NS is running an O98 or something similar out to Casad to pick up 765 this morning. What time was that? I'd go out that way to look but I'm guessing its long gone by now :( Oh well, I'll catch up to it in Cleveland later this month.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Well, I did go out and check the FWRHS museum about 10:30am today and discovered the 765 sitting outside, under steam and softly chuffing as several members from the society stood around watching it. I would almost certainly bank on them departing tomorrow sometime in the morning. My advice for those who live in Ohio, stay close to the Fostoria district from sunrise onward until you hear an NS 09X or some other weird sounding 0XX symbol coming on the scanner, that's the only way to guarantee you'll see it.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:56 pm

NS came out, picked up the 765, and wyed the power at Mike so that the steamer faces east this afternoon. Based on a post on trainorders, which was in turn based on a press release from the Fostoria group, the steamer is leaving in the morning and is due in Fostoria between 9am and 12 noon tomorrow, so plan accordingly.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

rockmodeler1

Post by rockmodeler1 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 am

Hello,
This is in reply to Kelly's post. I understand the safety concern and not trying to be a smart ***. why don't they move the engine at night? I would think that would be the safest way if you want to avoid a lot of people being around. Is there some sort of restriction to moving the engine at night? Thanks, JOHN

chowetrains
Veteran

Post by chowetrains » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

Well, the train left New Haven around 9:35am, symbol NS 955, and got to Bellevue around 1pm or so. Once onto the WLE, the 765 ran solo(i.e. no diesel assist) the rest of the way on its journey to the CVSR. There are a bunch of photos on trainorders.com but you have to be a member to view them.
Chris Howe
CRHS Indiana
trainshow coordinator

nathansixchime
Veteran

Post by nathansixchime » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 pm

why don't they move the engine at night? I would think that would be the safest way if you want to avoid a lot of people being around.
Not necessarily. Black Ops trips or "hiding" the engine aren't really prevalent discussions in negotiations the moves and crowd control is more of a byproduct of figuring out what to do once the trip is set in motion, unless there is a logistical reason why night would be better or required, daytime is just fine.

Consider that the 765 is just now getting on the interchange with CVSR in Akron, this portion of the move is taking place at night. One consideration to keep in mind is crew calls -- NS and the Wheeling may not have as many available crews during the night as they would during the day, plus for even a single day of ferry moves there are 36+ hours involved in firing it up and preparing the locomotive, and we'd prefer not to stretch the available crew (either on the railroad's side or our side) and preferably we'd like to do that without disrupting everyone's sleep schedules.

Not that any of us sleep much anyway before these moves. It's like waiting for Santa Claus.
Kelly Lynch
Vice President
Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society
http://www.fortwaynerailroad.org

Michael Meisener

Post by Michael Meisener » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:17 am

What amazes me is how much this move is hush, hush to the people that donate and care too see the preservation of this steamer. But, the news media (tv and newspaper) had articles on wheb it was going to move and where it is going and they are only there for a story and probably don't care if it came back to New Haven.

My 2 cents stop watching, supporting & donating to this cause. Then when they are back needing $$$ they will start to realize who there real supporters are. Not just the yuppies showing up on weekends looking for something to do. Then maybe they will give us a inside hint. I would donate a little cash for a guaranteed hint of when they are going to move and the route taken. In return for paying that cash I would promise not to say anything.

nathansixchime
Veteran

Post by nathansixchime » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:39 am

Michael Meisener wrote:What amazes me is how much this move is hush, hush to the people that donate and care too see the preservation of this steamer...
http://www.cvsr.com/steam-in-the-valley.aspx

That's not very hush-hush to me.

KL

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Once again, I see how 'they' will do everything to kiss NS's butt, but could not care less about the 'locals' that helped to support and refit this loco.
Great timing and business plan too :roll:
FWRHS might as well leave the loco somewhere where it can be run, if all the they can do is fire it up one weekend a year for an open house and move 50 yards down the tracks,you are never going to gain much interest.
When you alienate the folks that ARE interested in this thing (locomotive) how in the sam hell do you expect any NEW interest to arise?

The entire FWRHS has a 'too cool' attitude and is a very cliqueish and stand off group. (yes I was a member and helped out)
Have fun on your secret trips and 'wow' the crowds, but don't be begging for support in NE indiana, just deposit the 'COOL' attitude in the bank.
THAT will pay the bills!

nathansixchime
Veteran

Post by nathansixchime » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 pm

While offering some criticism, it's helpful to supply some alternatives.

The least we could do was allow the newspaper and television in during the morning to prepare the locomotive -- and we did. Anyone in the northeast Indiana area had 24 hours to see/hear about it.

What do you suggest the organization does instead?
Kelly Lynch
Vice President

wheeler
Veteran

Post by wheeler » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Kelly- it was wrong of me to 'bust your balls', and I really did not intend to do so. I am sorry for my rant.
I guess that you and the group are trying very hard to promote the 765. It is a cool piece and great that it is in operation.
I was a member when 'nothing' was going on, no plans, no contacts, etc and got tired of that.

I HATE NS from how they screwed the 765 on its last circus run to Peru from years ago, so my hearing them demand things of the 765 (once again) gets me riled up.

Letting the news channel know is fine, but it is probably 50/50 if the trainwatchers will notice/see it. I'm still out in the afternoon mowing etc when the news is on.

"I" was hoping to see posted when the train moves so I could see it with my kids actually on the road(rails) some place close to home here.Having seen it "MAY" interest them,and want to go on a ride/excursion. (we have been to the open house/throttle time)

I think it is great that your group hooked up with the 2 places for excursions this fall. Too bad the economy sucks for people to be able to enjoy this now.I hope it is successful.
I think it would be best to keep the engine at Hoosier valley and come up with an operation there where it can be run a lot more.you could catch some Chicago area tourists.Plus you are not kissing NS"s a**

Not being an insider/member I have no idea of what kind of ego/power trips FWRHS and HVRR have against each other.

Having the 765 downtown someplace during the three rivers festival would help for some (seemingly) lack of local support/outreach to the FW area public.

My suggestions, and I hope you can accept my apology for being such a 'Richard' :(

I will not bother you further. Good luck to you all.

nathansixchime
Veteran

Post by nathansixchime » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:34 pm

wheeler wrote: I HATE NS from how they screwed the 765 on its last circus run to Peru from years ago, so my hearing them demand things of the 765 (once again) gets me riled up.
My dad was president of the society then and the aftermath of that trip was a long time healing for the group and its relationship with the railroad. The "demands" are more or less obligations of courtesy as requested at the higher levels. We're very small guests in a very big house. The local employees have been incredibly supportive, just as they have been on the corporate level. It is very possible the future of the burgeoning NS steam program could include other locomotives like a particular Fort Wayne Berkshire. As evidenced by CSX's publicized lack of support or interest in steam, NS is under no obligation to accept a request from a non-profit like us for a special move. We are beyond fortunate. Remember the N&W in the 1980s that ended that train before it departed isn't the same railroad today.
wheeler wrote: I think it would be best to keep the engine at Hoosier valley and come up with an operation there where it can be run a lot more.you could catch some Chicago area tourists.Plus you are not kissing NS"s a** Not being an insider/member I have no idea of what kind of ego/power trips FWRHS and HVRR have against each other.
None whatsoever actually. We fully intended on returning to HVRM this year, but the direction of travel and the deadhead of the passenger equipment didn't make too much economic sense when the majority of our operations would be focused on Ohio and Michigan. We expect to return to HVRM next year before TrainFestival 2011. The big factor with Hoosier Valley is passenger equipment, which would likely be leased from the Age of Steam Roundhouse in Sugarcreek, Ohio again. It helps to have multiple uses for some, if not all of those cars, though because the deadhead can be very costly as they were in 2009.
wheeler wrote:Having the 765 downtown someplace during the three rivers festival would help for some (seemingly) lack of local support/outreach to the FW area public.
We are actively exploring a "future plan" that would largely encompass becoming a central part to the downtown experience. It was mentioned briefly in the news a few months ago and after the "acid test" continues to be a powerful concept that continues to get support from the city, civic leaders, and citizens.

The concept has gone light years beyond what any of us imagined possible and would provide the 765 and the collection of the society a permanent, sustainable, visible home. It's outrageous and has a long way to go, but at its heart its about making the 765 a part of its actual city, and not just an engine in a barn somewhere. We may be a mainline steam locomotive operator, but we are also a non-profit historical/educational corporation with a mission statement to serve the public and I hope in the next decade our ability to do more on a local level will continue to increase. To me, that's the key to long term success, longevity, and most important: relevancy.

By the way, if you'd like to see a visible sign of the railroad's support and our appreciation for it, take a look at the maintenance building off Nelson Road and tell me if you see something recognizable. It's 69 inches in diameter...
Kelly Lynch
Vice President

nsglc1985
Regular

Post by nsglc1985 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:47 pm

September 25

Evening Photo Shoot: CVSR Locomotives with Special Guest NKP No. 765

Fitzwater Maintenance Yard / 7 – 9 pm

Capture the raw steel and lights at night, as they, for the first time in history, sit side-by-side for an after dark photo opportunity in CVSR's Fitzwater Maintenance Yard. The NKP 765, the largest operating locomotive east of the Mississippi, will be CVSR's special guest for a few weeks in September. It will be paired with CVSR's various locomotives to give every photographer that dream shot. Tickets can be purchase at the gate, or in advance on-line. ONLY those with a paid admission will be allowed inside the fence secured area.

Tickets are $25 per person

Steam Returns to the Valley 2010!

Take a trip through time – traveling through Cuyahoga Valley National Park

Climb aboard as the largest operating steam locomotive east of the Mississippi chugs through the Cuyahoga Valley taking you and your family on a trip through time! You just won't believe the size of this locomotive until you see it – it is that unbelievable.

And to say you rode on it gives you bragging rights for years to come!

This incredible opportunity is one not to be missed, and should be shared with every generation of your family.

Tickets are $25 for everyone, ages 3 and up

Departs Akron Northside Station at 11:30 am and 2:45 pm