PBS39 putting new railroading program on this August

Found a cool book or vintage video footage pertaining to the area? Let us know!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

MarkRyanPBS39

PBS39 putting new railroading program on this August

Post by MarkRyanPBS39 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Hey railroaders,

Sorry it has been so long since I have logged in.

I know a lot of you watch our programming on any of the four channels we have on PBS39 and I wanted to alert you to a programming update we have coming. Specifically, Tracks Ahead is heading back to the video rail yard for a little rest this August. In its place, we'll be airing a miniseries, All Aboard, Fridays at 11:30am on August 12, August 19 and August 26 on PBS39HD/Channel 39-1. In addition, all three episodes will be aired in one block of railroad programming on Sunday, August 28, from 1:00pm through 2:30pm. You'll also be able to catch All Aboard Sundays beginning July 31 at 8:30pm on channel 39-4/ a.k.a. 39-4you.

Descriptions for the new programs are as follows:

All Aboard #101(11:30am, Friday, August 12, 1:00pm Sunday, August 28) The Power, The Might, The Locomotive: The invention of the locomotive was created to harness ‘horse power’ and move goods and people across America, faster than anyone could ever imagine. Today this story is embodied in the spectacular two and a half year restoration of L&N RR E8A 796.

All Aboard #102(11:30am, Friday, August 19, 1:30pm Sunday, August 28) Mail on the Fly, The Railroad Post Office: Nearly a century and a half ago, the United States Post Office saw the great advantage of utilizing the speed and efficiency of the Railroad as a cornerstone to moving letters and packages across America. All across the continent, post offices were built near Railroad stations to ease the transfer and increase the speed of railway delivery. This story is brought to life through the interviews of real RPO clerks, historic newsreels and the complete restoration of a 1921 Railway Post Office car.

All Aboard #103(11:30am, Friday, August 26, 2:00pm Sunday, August 28) The Pullman Sleeper: Journey of the Towering Pine: The completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, promoted by President Abraham Lincoln, opened the door to regular overnight travel by rail. A young entrepreneur, named George M. Pullman, saw the opportunity to exercise the great American traits of ingenuity and enterprise. This extraordinary story is embodied in the acquisition, the moving, and the restoration of L&N’s famed Pullman Sleeper, the Towering Pine.

Please note: While Tracks Ahead will be taking some time off, if you've been watching it Thursday nights on 39-4, you'll still be able to.

Thanks for letting me chip in here-please feel free to spread the word and let your friends know about this change, too.

Finally, thanks for watching and supporting us. We couldn't do our jobs without it.

JW
Veteran

Re: PBS39 putting new railroading program on this August

Post by JW » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:42 pm

I have been watching this series on WBGU 27.1 out of Bowling Green,Ohio and it is very interesting. I recommend it.

JW

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:48 am

8) Thanks Mark for the heads up.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:21 am

I'm fairly certain DISH doesn't carry channel 39-4, oh well.
rrnut282
(Mike)

MarkRyanPBS39

Post by MarkRyanPBS39 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:17 am

If there's a program you can't get on DISH or one of our channels you can't get on any other carrier, the best thing we've found for viewers to do is to call that carrier or system and ask them to. There's only so much we can do, and even the FCC can do, but if a system operator gets a whiff that they may be under performing in a viewer's eyes, then that is another deal. Good luck--let me know how you like All Aboard, too.