Bluffton Indiana, The WBCR, the MofW train and more!

This is the one and only proper place for trip reports. Let us know what you saw, where you saw it and such.

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

getridofintersttruck
Veteran

Bluffton Indiana, The WBCR, the MofW train and more!

Post by getridofintersttruck » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:38 am

This is going to be a 2 part trip report. After hearing on here about the NW caboose in Bluffton, I figured it was time I took my railfanning advetures to that part of Indiana. 2 sundays ago was the first pass through. We had just came from filming in Muncie. We just had enough light to snap a few photos of the caboose and NS 3566.
NS 3566 in Bluffton Indiana by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Norfolk Southern work train in Bluffton by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Next pass through was last Thursday. This time I started out in Van Buren to work my way back to Bluffton. #8 was tied down outside Weaver Popcorn but no activity anywhere on the line. Was worth the drive for photo op scouting reasons through.
#8 on the Wabash Central in Van Buren Indiana by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
NW Bridge by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

I found the NS work train north of US224 on the New Castle District. They were shoving south off the siding and pulled north onto the main behind a ballast train. A roadrailer used the siding to pass them both.
http://youtu.be/zN335raRvEg
http://youtu.be/kugBQDW1CWc
http://youtu.be/pWsDxh4qFSQ
Norfolk Southern NofW crew on the main dropping ties by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

The real excitement happens in Part 2 which I shall post when I have more time....

getridofintersttruck
Veteran

Re: Bluffton Indiana, The WBCR, the MofW train and more!

Post by getridofintersttruck » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:58 am

I finally caught the WBCR running on Tuesday after driving to Bluffton 4 time looking for them! I knew it was my lucky day before I even made it to town. I heard them asking for permission to come onto the NS New Castle Distric over the scanner. They had 5 hoppers to shove off the interchange siding.
http://youtu.be/VOrZiiOEC4k
I had a bit of a wait for my next catch. The 25A came through town about an hour later. The MofW train had a crew but didn't start moving for several hours.
http://youtu.be/bjHbcun7YeE
The WBCR switched the 2 businesses SW of town before moving on where I could film them.
http://youtu.be/GyDH9U7_-ig
http://youtu.be/Ep9Q9KBYg7M
http://youtu.be/619qMn8hizI
http://youtu.be/oxWhaxYHW3s
Wabash Central 12 on wooden pile trestle by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Wabash Central 12 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
After they stopped, the engineer got out and said they were going to lunch. With only an hour left to railfan I headed back to Bluffton in search of the NS MofW train. I found it north of US 224 again on the passing siding. There was a manifest pulling in behind it and a local (I believe I heard 251 on the scanner) coming south.
http://youtu.be/wPqn9rzgPio
http://youtu.be/7PzPvOkM4mk
NS work train with Dash 8-32B on point and NW caboose on rear by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
NS 251 with all EMD lashup by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Slug leading GP40-2/SD40-2 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
NS 251 passes a work train and a manifest by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
2 trains on the siding by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Norfolk Southern 3566 on point of work train by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm

NIce photos from my "backyard". The train you identify as 251 looks more like L69, the southbound local. NS0725/3034 (road slug/mother set)were sitting in Bluffton Monday morning as I left for work. The locomotives on L69 usually return the next day as L68 northbound out of Muncie. 251 is a Triple Crown train (east) southbound, heading for Hotlanta.
rrnut282
(Mike)

getridofintersttruck
Veteran

Post by getridofintersttruck » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:22 pm

rrnut282 wrote:NIce photos from my "backyard". The train you identify as 251 looks more like L69, the southbound local. NS0725/3034 (road slug/mother set)were sitting in Bluffton Monday morning as I left for work. The locomotives on L69 usually return the next day as L68 northbound out of Muncie. 251 is a Triple Crown train (east) southbound, heading for Hotlanta.
Thanks for the the correction. I saw the triple crown head south about 30 minutes before the L69 came by so I must have heard something about that and got mixed up.

joe22a994
Veteran

Post by joe22a994 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:09 pm

I saw the work train(91K) with 3566 and 2 less gondolas along the NCD at about Milepost 177 putting down new ties. I wonder if NS is going to put in new ties soon. That would be interesting to see what kind of equipment they use. FYI 91K is sitting up at Baer Field yard a lot. Once I remember seeing lots of gondolas with ties in them near Hugo.

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:20 am

I'm betting NS will bring one of the system-wide production gangs to do the tie replacement this summer. Over on another site, there is talk of ties being placed West of Richmond. Between these two sections, it is a large enough job to bring the big crew.
rrnut282
(Mike)

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:54 pm

:D Can you guys believe that S-load of new ties on the NCD??? Work is ready to begin in mass real soon!!! :mrgreen:

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:39 pm

A herzog train went through on Thursday dumping ballast in the Bluffton area, I finally had the opportunity to watch the train unload ballast remotely. Do these type of trains require an extra engine to keep extra air to run the pneumatic rams for the dump chutes. Or is one locomotive enough to provide adequate air pressure for braking and the rams/chutes?
8v71

rrnut282
Veteran

Post by rrnut282 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:12 pm

I think one can handle it. As long as the engineer isn't working the brakes (applying and releasing alot) the air compressor on a locomotive doesn't have a lot to do. The horn requires a miniscule amount of air compared to an entire trainline that needs pumped up. The pneumatic cylinders to open the hoppers to dump ballast only need to operate one at a time.
rrnut282
(Mike)

joe22a994
Veteran

Post by joe22a994 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Last week, I remember seeing a couple of gondolas at the Yoder Siding with trucks unloading them. A couple of days later I saw them heading up to Fort Wayne on the 368. On that same 368 I saw what looked like a flatcar with a crane on it. I saw that same flatcar on today's L69. On an unrelated topic, a CSX locomotive lead the L69. I also noticed that the NCD is overflowing with ballast.The tracks are the only things that you can see. Another thing I noticed is that there are also rubber strips with the ties at the crossings.

rrnut282
Veteran

POOR L69

Post by rrnut282 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm

That flatcar playing ping-pong is the "scorpion car". It typically is the last car of a MOW train carying all the on-track equipment. That thing on one end unfolds into a ramp for the quipment to drive-on or drive-off the flat cars at a staging area. As it unfolds it looks like a giant scorpion's tail, hence its name.

As for L69 today, take pity on it. They don't know what to do with it. On my way into the fort at 1530, I heard the dispatcher tell them they would be stuck in Kingsland siding for four hours. They have to wait on 3 Westbounds and 3 Eastbound to get by. Fast forward the four hours and L68 has already relieved the L69 crew, with the train sitting in two parts in the siding. (our"friend" on CR 700N should be happy) I would like to point out, that the original crew only made it out of the yard to the first siding in their 12 hours. The dispatcher comes on and tells them after 216 goes by, they can put their train together and work their way to Muncie as planned.

Two hours later, they still have to wait on 216, but now they have to clear up in the Bluffton Ethanol plant for another train, then do their work as they head south. An hour later: wait for 216, work the Ethanol Plant and tinplate lead, highball Central States and in to Muncie. An hour after that: head for the clear at the Ethanol Plant and then straight to Muncie.

At 2100, the dispatcher says the trainmasters and chief have a new plan: after 216 (at least I think they're still waiting on it and not 5 trains later :roll: ) they are to run around their train and take it back to the fort without setting out a single car after two crews. Apparently there is a problem with that plan. The power is a single CSX unit and I'm guessing it doesn't have ditch lights on the rear to run long hood first. (it may have been something else, I was listenening on the handheld and the crew didn't come in clear.)

Now they are down to, what Plan G or something: take the train to the Ethanol Plant, wait for 50N to show up, steal a unit from that train and try to make it back to East Wayne before they run out of hours. I have to get up at 0500 dark, or I would see how this drama ends. :?
rrnut282
(Mike)

joe22a994
Veteran

Post by joe22a994 » Tue May 07, 2013 7:27 am

It was CSX 4823 which is a SD70AC. I'll get the picture off of my phone. L69 was at least a mile long when it left Yoder. Even though I didn't have a scanner at that time, I could tell it was L69 by it's contents. I think it was there for at least an hour. As for the L68 I thought I heard it on my scanner last night around 10 PM.

h2466
Veteran

Post by h2466 » Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

Hey Joe, Those rubber strips go on the field and gage sides of the rail and then asphalt is laid against then. The ones on the gage side have a groove for the wheel flanges. Replaces the wood crossing timbers. Ken 8)
Attachments
GRCR-HIRA-SEAL.jpg

joe22a994
Veteran

Post by joe22a994 » Tue May 07, 2013 1:58 pm

It looks like they will be replacing those also.

dbrackin7
Veteran

Post by dbrackin7 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Its to bad Wabash Central isn't repairing Wiley street crossing, I see the city or Norfolk southern packed asphalt into the holes in the wooden crossing.
8v71