St. Joeseph Valley at Angola

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

cjberndt
Veteran

St. Joeseph Valley at Angola

Post by cjberndt » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:44 am

I acquired a group of 1911-1912 track maps which had been updated to reflect changes. The attached sample is dated Dec. 1912. It was amended after 1912, but has no amendments listed. The St. Joe Valley RR's yards were erased, so it was at least 1917.

I labeled a few StJV items on it. The map continues a short distance north, but not far enough to show the subway where the StJV crossed under the FtW&J.

Craig Berndt
Attachments
Track Map Angola ex-StJV yards 12-xx-12 lr.jpg
Craig Berndt

Notch 8
Veteran

Re: St. Joeseph Valley at Angola

Post by Notch 8 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:39 am

I would like to so more of the map of Angola, Prior to Weatherhead did the tracks run west of the building site ? Where was the underpass ? And what sidings were located further south in the town of Angola ? The reason I ask about the spur tracks on the Weatherhead site is that there are 2 buildings that sit on Wohlert Street on the SW side that are on an angle on the lot that they are built which makes me think that these were customers ? and both of the bildings have a dock that would of been the height to have loaded/unloaded freight.

Mike

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: St. Joseph Valley at Angola

Post by cjberndt » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:22 pm

The StJV Ry. underpass was about 400 ft. north of the Wayne St./FtW&J crossing, about midway between the crossing and the first building on the east side of Wayne St. north of the crossing (formerly Sanborn Appliance). Unfortunately, this map doesn’t go that far north.

There were no tracks west of Weatherhead. I don’t know of anything served near Wohlert St.

The attached map of the Stocker St. area shows two petroleum customers and Pet Milk served by rail. The spur on the west side of Stocker (upper part of the map) was for the two tracks that served Weatherhead. One apparently went inside the building.

On the east side of the track north of Mill St. is a lumber company that was served by rail. It’s on the attached Mill St. map. A flour mill fronted on Mill St. (Dolly Varden St. at the time).

Craig
Attachments
Map Angola FtW&J 12-xx-12 Stocker ppt.jpg
Map Angola FtW&J 12-xx-12 Mill & N ppt.jpg

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Craig,

Would you have the track map showing the view between Mill & Stocker ? Looking for National Mill and Angola Railroad & Power Co and were on W Broad at the railroad tracks, circa 1910-1930's

Thanks Mike

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:53 am

The 1911-1915 map shows the Angola Railway & Power (Lake James trolley) crossing Broad St. at upper left.

On the 1912 map. the left spur track serves AR&P's office/shop and the McCoy & Smith Co. This map was updated sometime after the trolley was abandoned, by erasing the former trolley track going north to Lake James. At Mill St. the track went west about 500 ft., then northwesterly and north to Paltytown on Lake James, now the Christian Assembly.

I've forgotten where National Mills was located. It's not on the 1912 maps and I don't have the 1915 maps that far north. The only facilities between Mill & Stocker on the 1912 map is the grain mill and lumber sheds on the north side of the track at Mill & Superior, and Pet Milk, formerly Van Camp Products, at the SW corner of Wayne & Stocker, both shown on the maps already posted.

Craig
Attachments
Angola 1911-15 2.jpg
Angola AR&P Dec. 1912.jpg
Angola Natl Mills.jpg

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:16 am

12472505_10154348170407812_1994384599010901234_n.jpg
How about the United Machine Company, thinking this is what became PET Milk ?

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: St. Joseph Valley at Angola

Post by cjberndt » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:02 pm

National Mills was on the north side of Broad St. west of the FW&J mainline, where Sheets LP Gas is now located. I remember the co-op there when I was a kid but don't know if it was named National Mills then.

A side track switched at the south end ran north along the east side of Indiana Michigan Power's yard, then across Broad to the co-op. I saw hoppers on the coal trestle at the co-op, but don't know if they also delivered or picked up grain or other commodities.

Craig