PRR MBA?

Find an old ROW or want to know what the name of that one tower along the EL was? Post any historical questions or comments here. Open to any era from around the Ft Wayne area. Interurbans welcome!

Moderators: Moderator, Administrator

Wayne Gest
Veteran

PRR MBA?

Post by Wayne Gest » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:41 pm

My wife had an uncle who was a PRR engineer in Fort Wayne, working for the Pennsylvania from the early 1920's, until he retired in 1962, I think. His grandson found a picture of him with a group of men, all of them dressed up, and he was trying to learn what the occasion may have been. A fellow told me that the PRR had an organization in Fort Wayne known as the MBA and he believe that this is a photograph of a MBA meeting. I'm told that MBA meetings were held in two places, either by the PRR roundhouse at Piqua Yard, or in one other unknown location. The picture was taken in March, 1935. Her uncle, a fellow named Earl Link, is the first man seated, second from the right, the first fellow with the hat on. I never met him, he was gone long before I ever met my wife.

Now, I don't know what MBA stands for but was wondering if anyone here does. I can speculate that it may be something like Mutual Benevolent Association, because of the high risk nature of railroading in those days and the difficulty of being able to buy life insurance, but that is a guess.

Sadly, this is when you miss a fellow like Keith Harris, who may well have known what this was about. Thank all of you for any input or speculation.
23 Mar 1935 Neuman Studio, Ft Wayne.jpg

cjberndt
Veteran

Re: PRR MBA?

Post by cjberndt » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:42 pm

The Mutual Beneficial Association was reportedly founded by PRR in 1913 to assist railroad employees and their families. MBA still exists.

The coil-topped refrigerator at right in the photo suggests 1930s.

Craig

Wayne Gest
Veteran

Post by Wayne Gest » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:17 pm

March, 1935. Would be wonderful if we could identify some of the other men in the picture or the lady who appears to be serving them or where the meeting was being held. My sources told me they frequently met at the roundhouse but that room doesn't have any appearance of being anywhere near the roundhouse. I'm wondering if it was at the GE plant.

Thanks for your input, Craig, I'll pass it along to Mr. Link's grandson.

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:49 am

I missed March 1935 in your original post.

The poster at left is GE advertising, so yes, probably at GE near the Winter St.-Wayne Trace yards.

Craig

Notch 8
Veteran

Post by Notch 8 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:46 pm

What kind of traffic did GE produce for the RR's and did more than 1 RR service GE ? 1935 was a l o n g time ago.

Hotbox
Veteran

Post by Hotbox » Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:44 pm

According to the 1918 Sanborns, both PRR and Wabash served the Broadway G.E. complex

PRR served between Broadway and College: http://s593.photobucket.com/user/Sanbor ... 5.png.html

And both PRR and Wabash served between Broadway and Fairfield: http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt20 ... Scan06.png

Of course, after about 1927 the PRR controlled Wabash as well.

D.L.
Veteran

Post by D.L. » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:50 pm

:evil: Nice empty buildings now.... Don't even ask me what I think about G.E. at tall.........[Won't ever again buy their crap!]

cjberndt
Veteran

Post by cjberndt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:58 pm

This is looking east on the Wabash RR near Mike tower. GE's Winter St. factory is at center. PRR's roundhouse and service tracks are at right. GE's water tank, which is still standing today, is to the left of the roundhouse.

The track curving to the right in front of the gondolas and locomotive was the mainline of the Findlay, Ft. Wayne & Western RR. The FFW&W ran along the south side of GE, and the track was owned by PRR when this photo was taken.

A PRR track map shows Wabash and PRR side tracks serving GE Winter St.

Craig
Attachments
Ft W lk E Wabash & PRR Rndhse.jpg
Ft. Wayne Winter St. looking east on the Wabash, PRR roundhouse at right